Got an “our bad” letter from the IRS

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Long story short, when I filed my 2020 taxes (TurboTax super simple, I didn’t take any deductions) it calculated the federal government owed me about $350. Months went by and I instead got a letter from the IRS saying I actually owe them about $250. I've never had that happen before. TurboTax pretty much told me to just pay it. I did and that was months ago.

This week I got a letter from the IRS saying they actually screwed up. It doesn’t go into detail about my situation, but they aren’t going to just fix it. Instead I have 60 days to contact them and let them know I want them to fix it. I called and after about 3 minutes of entering option numbers it tells me they are so overwhelmed with calls on this topic that they aren’t even going to put me on hold and it just ends the call.

Interestingly there was a letter in my mailbox addressed to somebody that doesn’t live in my apartment that appears to be the exact same letter, or at least from the IRS. This is where the IRS spends all their resources, screwing around with (comparative) low income earners over hundreds of dollars while completely ignoring the billions unpaid or avoided by those at the top.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
my dauter has been batteling them to get her money back. they double dipped her account 19,000 twice and he has been a fight to get a hold of anyone to get her money returned. and even then getting it returned has been hard. not sure if they have gotten it back yet.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am having an $800, now over $1100, issue with the state from 2017. They sent me a bill, the CPA said, "yeah they're probably right -pay it" so I did. Before the due date.

Get a new bill every quarter with additional interest and fees. And for a couple of quarters I sent them a copy of the cancelled check for the original amount. If I could go to the walk-in tax assistance office I would, but with COVID it has been closed. So I keep sending them letters and hope they will finally figure it out. I would get the CPA to handle it, but after he gets involved, I might as well pay it again after paying his fees.

Alli

Perfection
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
And we’re still waiting for our large-ish refund from the great state of Alabama. It’s almost time to file again, ffs!

OP
Chew Toy McCoy

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am having an $800, now over $1100, issue with the state from 2017. They sent me a bill, the CPA said, "yeah they're probably right -pay it" so I did. Before the due date.

Get a new bill every quarter with additional interest and fees. And for a couple of quarters I sent them a copy of the cancelled check for the original amount. If I could go to the walk-in tax assistance office I would, but with COVID it has been closed. So I keep sending them letters and hope they will finally figure it out. I would get the CPA to handle it, but after he gets involved, I might as well pay it again after paying his fees.

That’s another thing. I paid it days before I would start accruing fees or interest. Then months later they send me this letter with verbiage saying I should probably stop making further payments until this gets resolved. Gee, that’s convenient. So basically if I was irresponsibly late on paying my taxes I would have come out the winner here. Instead I get a letter telling me they fucked up but good luck getting my money back.

Alli

Perfection
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
FMA, we owed ... a lot.
We thought we did, so we were paying quarterly, but it turned out there was no tax on our little windfall, so we got it all back. Well, we got it all back from the feds, still waiting for state.

Top Bottom