Ron DeSantis: What in the ever loving fuck is wrong with him?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The really stupid thing about DeSantis / Abbott immigration relocation stunts now is that Florida will need every last able bodied construction worker from North and Central America to put its west coast version of HumptyDumpty back together... regardless of immigration status. They were already short of roofers and dry wall hangers from what I had read, because of developers still trying to finish up ready-made communities intended for bulk sale to investors meaning to rent rather than sell them during this time of higher mortgage rates and less ability to put down payments.
poor things cry me a river.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I get a kick out of this…

6DF1F0F8-9EDF-4F0B-8DCF-99026827D149.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
To correct myself in the previous post, regarding the REALLY stupid thing about DeSantis / Abbott immigration relocation stunts. (The cited article is likely paywalled.)

The deceptive nature of the luring of the immigrants flown to Martha's Vineyard has been certified as a crime being investigated by a Texas sheriff in the jurisdiction from which the immigrants were removed.

The sheriff’s office said the case is being investigated “as possible unlawful restraint.” The alleged criminal act stems from an unusual operation in which a Florida woman reportedly lured the migrants onto the flights with false promises about the destination and the benefits the migrants would receive there.

The woman — sources say the sheriff has identified her as Perla Huerta, a former Army counterintelligence agent — was apparently working on behalf of the administration of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, who has claimed credit for the operation. The recruitment of the migrants occurred in San Antonio and the sheriff’s office said that only people who were in the area at the time of the alleged deception are considered suspects.

Because of that Texas sheriff's certification, those immigrants are now enabled to apply individually for a U-visa, a special designation for immigrants who provide useful information to investigators.

Meanwhile as long as they stay in Massachusetts, they cannot likely be deported while the investigations continue. This per a precedent recently established in a case where an immigrant with a U-visa regained protected status after court ruled it was not ok for deportation to proceed when the immigrant was cooperating with authorities running a criminal investigation.

Further, receipt of a U-visa may facilitate the process of receiving authorization to work and a plausible path to a green card and eventual citizenship.

So while DeSantis may not end up charged with a crime relative to this relocation (since the San Antonio sheriff stipulated criminal charges would apply only to those in the immediate area of the relocation endeavor), he will certainly not have earned any high fives from Republicans who loathe the very idea of an undocumented immigrant ever ending up with an expedited path to citizenship.

At best, all the smart-alecky DeSantis did here was facilitate an alleged illegal process by which 47 undocumented Venezuelans now in the USA will have ended up with a more secure and productive life under rule of American law during the time before their original cases are adjudicated.

D

Deleted member 215

DeSantis is the "new and improved version of Trump" only in that he's more extreme and ruthless than Trump. I really hope "never-Trumpers" and Democrats aren't somehow convinced that because DeSantis is more articulate that means he will be "softer" than Trump. Not at all. DeSantis as president would be a nightmare.

lizkat

Reaction score
DeSantis is the "new and improved version of Trump" only in that he's more extreme and ruthless than Trump. I really hope "never-Trumpers" and Democrats aren't somehow convinced that because DeSantis is more articulate that means he will be "softer" than Trump. Not at all. DeSantis as president would be a nightmare.

One real danger in the slow-walk to fascist rule here is that DeSantis is politically savvier than Trump, despite the stupidity of his immigrant relocation stunt. He has managed to dance the dance so far between dissing Trump and putting daylight between himself and The Don. Also knows when to leave talking points alone for half an hour to nail down some cross-aisle legislation or assistance in problem solving.

DeSantis more successfully manipulates press coverage, not just deride it as Trump has so often done. He gets it that the way to weaken a free press is make it his, not his enemy.

Example: DeSantis has photo ops now of working hand in hand with Biden to secure aid for hurricane damage. Trump had photos of himself handing out paper towels and tweets essentially indicating disdain for people "stupid enough" to be in a hurricane's path.

And DeSantis is not the only mini-Trump with more polish and potential charisma and savvy than Donald Trump.

But, Trump is who has waked up the authoritarian followers in the USA and they in turn are becoming the potential nail-in-coffin for our democracy... whether in what remains of our voting booths or as armies of trolls or as perpetrators of violence in the cause of the far right. After all, those guys hunting for Pence and Pelosi and calling for their executions were hunting the two people next in line of succession to Donald Trump on January 6, 2021.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It'll be interesting to see how Republicans deal with him if Trump runs again.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Is DeSantis really going to wait until 2028? He doesn’t want to be the next Marco Rubio. Trump is probably going to get out ahead of the competition and begin immediately shitting on any perceived opponent, including DeSantis, who he’s already taken some swipes at.

I can’t imagine there’s that much enthusiasm in the majority of the GOP caucus about another Trump run, but they’ll probably all fall in line again. I do not put my faith in them to rid themselves of Trump.

Sheesh.

lizkat

Reaction score
Is DeSantis really going to wait until 2028? He doesn’t want to be the next Marco Rubio. Trump is probably going to get out ahead of the competition and begin immediately shitting on any perceived opponent, including DeSantis, who he’s already taken some swipes at.

I can’t imagine there’s that much enthusiasm in the majority of the GOP caucus about another Trump run, but they’ll probably all fall in line again. I do not put my faith in them to rid themselves of Trump.

Sheesh.

To roll with Trump, Rs have to see two things: election outcomes and whether Trump gets indicted.

I'd be surprised if they throw their weight behind Trump as an indicted candidate for President. Probably why Trump wants to declare immediately after election (leaving a week for results to settle out).

Then if the Republicans do well in the midterms but he's indicted between election day and January, he can scream blue murder about persecution and witch hunts during a lame duck Congress.

If he is not indicted by January, and the Rs have control of the new session of Congress, they will launch impeachments of Biden, Garland and every other high profile Dem including Pelosi and the entire (immediately disbanded) 1/6 committee before the first of March.

The Attorney General serves at the pleasure of the President but some House Rs figure to put an asterisk there with a footnote "... except when impeached and removed from office."

They'd be dreaming because even McConnell would not go there on Garland if the Senate was also flipped back to his gavel... but Gym Jordan is ready to make a circus out of it in the House anyway. Not sure about Kevin McCarthy. I don't know what he wants past being Speaker. Would be rich if Elise Stefanik tried to jump the line there. Would be a risky move for her because she's their rising pro-Trump star now but used to be more moderate and might have trouble rounding up support from the original hardliner crowd in the Freedom Caucus.

But you're right about one thing: the Rs are still cowards about just stepping up to ditch Trump without a push from someone they figure has more clout. After midterms, that MIGHT be DeSantis if the GOP honchos figure enough already, there'll never be a better time to sideline the baggage-laden Trump.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
DeSantis is their best bet to get past Trump if he can beat Trump in a primary. Then the party has the cover of the voters to say “they chose DeSantis, President Trump should offer his support and respect the vote.”

I’m not looking forward to a DeSantis run, but at least it’s a different variety of the same shit show.

It’s something that may roll off their tongues easier if it’s an intra-party issue. Of course, Trump is not above claiming a primary is rigged either (he claimed the Iowa caucus in 2016 was rigged too).

Should be a lot of fun. Republicans can’t see past the next election, but I can’t imagine they will come out unscathed from these false allegations of widespread, coordinated fraud.

Top Bottom
1 2