gun sales soar

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
hard to find ammo & guns for that matter, who prices are through the roof, time to sell my babies at double the price.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
From people I know wanting to buy guns for target practice (they were already in this hobby) - it is getting hard to find firearms at all I'm told (recently) - there are massive waiting lists.

I wouldn't know. Haven't tried to buy one. Ever. <shrug>.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Having a gun won't resolve problems like the massive overhang of deferred rents in the USA during the early phases of covid-19. Killing the landlord when he finally does come around for what's owed? Sounds like a plan to boost bottom lines of for-profit prisons to me.

Meanwhile so many jobs are still shuttered and unemployment insurance payouts are all in the rear view mirror. And Congress is on vacation. And the honchos of the two major political parties are basking in the imaginary sunlight of their now completed nominating conventions.

Skip the gun buy and go back to hoarding food while congress fritters away its time on a summer recess. One can't reasonably use a gun to try to rob someone else of their food supply this fall anyway, since there are so many Americans who already own a gun, and assuming anyone doesn't becomes more of a crapshoot every day at this point, what with Trump amping up people's fears. So a case of beans and a bag of rice can sure start looking like a better deal for survival than standing on line to buy something to kill somebody with.

We're never going to put the brakes on this country's descent into madness until more of us realize we're not each other's enemy. The enemy is our own tolerance of kleptocracy and malfeasance in Washington. We cannot fix that by rushing out to buy a gun in case someone else is rushing out to buy a gun.

Lostngone

Power User
Reaction score
Having a gun won't resolve problems like the massive overhang of deferred rents in the USA during the early phases of covid-19. Killing the landlord when he finally does come around for what's owed? Sounds like a plan to boost bottom lines of for-profit prisons to me.

Meanwhile so many jobs are still shuttered and unemployment insurance payouts are all in the rear view mirror. And Congress is on vacation. And the honchos of the two major political parties are basking in the imaginary sunlight of their now completed nominating conventions.

Skip the gun buy and go back to hoarding food while congress fritters away its time on a summer recess. One can't reasonably use a gun to try to rob someone else of their food supply this fall anyway, since there are so many Americans who already own a gun, and assuming anyone doesn't becomes more of a crapshoot every day at this point, what with Trump amping up people's fears. So a case of beans and a bag of rice can sure start looking like a better deal for survival than standing on line to buy something to kill somebody with.

We're never going to put the brakes on this country's descent into madness until more of us realize we're not each other's enemy. The enemy is our own tolerance of kleptocracy and malfeasance in Washington. We cannot fix that by rushing out to buy a gun in case someone else is rushing out to buy a gun.

If things turn REALLY bad(I don’t see that happening) you are going to need food, shelter and a way to protect it and yourself. If you can pull that off without a firearm, more power to you. I for one will be keeping mine.
A huge stash of food isn’t going to do you a whole lot of good when people around you figure out you are a soft target.

Lostngone

Power User
Reaction score
Don’t we already have more guns than people in America? Hardly a shortage...

Guns are like shoes and boots, you need a pair for all sorts of different occasions. You wouldn’t want to show up to a range event and find out you are the only one with a firearm chambered in 9mm and and everyone else is using .40S&W. How embarrassing would that be!

lizkat

Reaction score
If things turn REALLY bad(I don’t see that happening) you are going to need food, shelter and a way to protect it and yourself. If you can pull that off without a firearm, more power to you. I for one will be keeping mine.
A huge stash of food isn’t going to do you a whole lot of good when people around you figure out you are a soft target.

Well it's true that I've always said "No wall high enough" between the haves and have-nots. By that I have meant that when people can't find what to eat for long enough, they will do anything to try to get something into their stomachs and feed their families, including storming gated communities or scaling the fences around orchards and chicken coops.

It's still also true that no one can get blood out of a stone, and realistically speaking it's not a scalable solution for people to be shooting their way into the homes of others to keep food on the table.

So far American government's response to any of those truths though has been piecemeal and usually focused on keeping the poor from shoplifting food out of supermarkets. Oh, and arming local communities' law enforcement teams with surplus military grade hardware from time to time.

Meanwhile what happens when the bottom 40% of the country can't keep roof over head or food on table is terrain we haven't lived on yet in this country, but we might be closer to checking it out these days than governments at federal, state or local levels have realized.

A large majority of Americans were already living paycheck to paycheck and owed money on cars, homes and credit cards before covid-19 dropped in to make their situations far more precarious. At the moment in Washington DC, Trump's solution to the impasse in Congress about further stimulus programs is to lie about readiness of a vaccine for the coronavirus, pressure the FDA to release it prior to completion of trials (which will complicate public response to taking it up when it ever does appear), and to lie about how the economy is great just because the markets are still frothy.

Ownership of a gun and ammo, or more guns and more ammo, was never going to solve the problems of an unsustainable economy, vast inequality of wealth ownership and inequality in means of obtaining wealth. Never has done, never will. But sure, there's some finite number of nights ahead during which if push comes to shove, owning a gun and ammo for it and being able to locate someone nearby with some food to spare or harvest-ready crops still in the field will keep a person alive even if another result is that it lands him in some for-profit prison. America's probably ready enough on that score, ya think?

We need to quit queuing up for guns and ammo and start talking to Congress critters while the phone company hasn't cut off service yet.

Those idiots sworn to represent our own ultimate reliance on the Constitution may have about run out the marginal utility of staying focused on getting re-elected as soon as they're sworn into office, from the looks of the landscape right now in the USA. They collectively and serially have signed off over and over on an economy that's ever more clearly meant to serve oligarchs, while pointing the finger at each other (just as we do, the folks who keep re-electing them).​
Now we the peasants with pitchforks are doing stupid tricks with guns out in the streets and getting blamed for the larger circumstances over which we've had zero effective control, past casting a vote for R or D and watching K street win hands down every time out the box for the past 40 years and counting.​
But hey, we still do have the right to bear arms. That's something, right?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You wouldn’t want to show up to a range event and find out you are the only one with a firearm chambered in 9mm and and everyone else is using .40S&W. How embarrassing would that be!

Oh my goodness, could you imagine the giggles and chiding remarks? My stars! When the local crochet chapter found out? Well, I'm just all flustered now at the very idea.

lizkat

Reaction score
Is it because JB is expected to win?

Everything in the USA is focused on the short term, usually the VERY short term, so no need for the gun lobby to pull out that card yet about how "They're coming for your guns".

Anyone is short a few marbles if thinking a Biden-Harris win in November means a first priority is to come 'round and take the guns off people who legally purchased them.

We are people who increasingly now don't have jobs, don't have affordable, adequate or any health insurance, don't know if we should trust the FDA to stamp approval of an effective covid-19 vaccine should one finally turn up after thorough testing.​
We don't have daycare for situations where regardless of covid-19 the word from the boss is show up or get fired, and we don't at the moment have extensions of unemployment insurance, and we don't know how the hell we're going to round up the dough for deferred payments on rent, mortgages, cars, college education and and credit cards.​
And... aside from daycare issues, if we are parents, we're definitely not all equipped to become even teacher's aides never mind teachers when our K-12 schools decide to rely upon distance learning during the rest of the time this pandemic ravages what used to be considered normal ways of living.​
Even though I'm grateful they stepped up, it's not clear to me why experienced public servants like Biden and Harris even want the damn jobs at top of the federal government at the present time. They know they're not dictators. They know that if they win, Trump piled up red ink even before covid-19 dropped in to tweak the federal budget, and that there's no such thing as a pre-election assurance they'll flip a recalcitrant GOP Senate blue even if very likely to keep the House.

Bottom line whichever team wins this presidential election has its work cut out for it, and that canard about the Democrats coming for our guns is as much an empty distraction as Trump up there trying to make it look like crime in the streets is what's our biggest problem and that he's the guy to fix it. The clear fact that people have guns in Kenosha doesn't seem to have fixed much of anything, and nothing Trump does about that is going to move us off the covid-19 dime we're stalled on either.

Top Bottom
1 2