Guns are still America’s religion

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Spot on. Something that I've noticed from some gun owners is a certain pride about their ability to own assault weapons. And feeling smug that nobody can do anything about it, while knowing assault weapons are the instruments that kill innocent people in these shootings. I find that smugness particularly disturbing. Feels sociopathic.
Oh yeah, they brag about teaching their kids how to use the guns too. They don’t see how seriously messed up it is.

Do you know the best way to increase your chances of dying from a gunshot wound? Have a gun in your home. The statistics don’t lie. Having a gun, supposedly meant to keep you safe, literally makes you LESS safe.

Data from a US mortality follow-back survey were analyzed to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk of a violent death in the home and whether risk varies by storage practice, type of gun, or number of guns in the home. Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 1.9, 95% confidence interval: 1.1, 3.4). They were also at greater risk of dying from a firearm homicide, but risk varied by age and whether the person was living with others at the time of death. The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 10.4, 95% confidence interval: 5.8, 18.9). Persons with guns in the home were also more likely to have died from suicide committed with a firearm than from one committed by using a different method (adjusted odds ratio = 31.1, 95% confidence interval: 19.5, 49.6). Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.

If your reason to have a gun is to keep yourself safe, you should know it actually does the opposite.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Spot on. Something that I've noticed from some gun owners is a certain pride about their ability to own assault weapons. And feeling smug that nobody can do anything about it, while knowing assault weapons are the instruments that kill innocent people in these shootings. I find that smugness particularly disturbing. Feels sociopathic.

There's a thread on MR, show / pics of your guns, and sure, it's all about "collecting" and just for "target practice", but the way some of the pics are shot, you can feel the weird reverence, "Behold! My devices for killing!", I mean you can feel the boners right through the screen.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
There's a thread on MR, show / pics of your guns, and sure, it's all about "collecting" and just for "target practice", but the way some of the pics are shot, you can feel the weird reverence, "Behold! My devices for killing!", I mean you can feel the boners right through the screen.
Just don't talk about LGBTQ topics

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just don't talk about LGBTQ topics

Lazy moderation

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yep, I started reading through the comments of that watch band thread, and reported at least one:

1653495441673.png

I don't know that my report on its own did anything, but I'm sure it wasn't the only one. I assumed, they would remove the offender from the thread and/or initiate a couple of day ban - but nope, they wound up punishing the people who wanted to participate in a positive way.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yep, I started reading through the comments of that watch band thread, and reported at least one:

View attachment 14346

I don't know that my report on its own did anything, but I'm sure it wasn't the only one. I assumed, they would remove the offender from the thread and/or initiate a couple of day ban - but nope, they wound up punishing the people who wanted to participate in a positive way.
Can you link the thread?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It looks like it's reopened!

I think that's the one where I reported that asshat.

Yep, that was it:

1653497209621.png

And the same fuckers using the laughing reaction still have it posted and none are banned. Nice. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Greg Abott is giving a sterile press conference and is really hammering home mental health, but it’s a flimsy facade to not talk about guns. If it was sincere, it would come across a lot better.

*Was that Beto O’Rourke making a scene? This press conference is going to make the news cycle…

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Greg Abott is giving a sterile press conference and is really hammering home mental health, but it’s a flimsy facade to not talk about guns. If it was sincere, it would come across a lot better.

*Was that Beto O’Rourke making a scene? This press conference is going to make the news cycle…

I just saw that while walking by the TV. I have no idea what he said, but I heard someone say something like "you're sick for making this a political issue, you sumbitch" in response, so it's pretty safe to assume that he mentioned gun control.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

If the Republicans ran a mental health institution they’d put 2 unstable people in a room, hand one guy a gun and tell them the other guy is out to get him, walk out of the room and then claim the shooting was absolutely not their fault.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Here’s something the Governor was very sincere about yesterday:

Gov. Greg Abbott attended a fundraiser for his reelection campaign Tuesday night in East Texas, hours after a gunman killed 19 children and two adults at an elementary school over 300 miles away in Uvalde.

Sure, he’s really making the safety of children a priority...

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Wait, what?

Hmm, they were opposed to gun-free zones at schools, because they supposedly make things more dangerous. But they impose them when it comes to THEIR OWN safety... Because they KNOW it works.

They are child murderers, one and all. They know there are things that can be done that will A) Help and B) Are widely popular with Americans. Yet they do nothing.

Fuck them and their “Democrats are pedophiles” bullshit. THEY are the ones who are responsible for killing little kids. Tell Satan to keep digging hell deeper because we need the worst place possible for these gun-humping politicians to spend eternity.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Greg Abbott submits his entry for biggest asshole in America:

“I hate to say it, but there are more people who are shot every weekend in Chicago than there are in schools in Texas,” Gov. Abbott said when asked about gun laws in other states.

Gov. Abbott said that the gunman was reportedly a high school dropout with no known history of mental health problems. He then said: “We have a problem with mental health illness in this community."

Too bad the tree missed by a few inches and he only ended up in a wheelchair.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Good to know far-right judges are working hard to make sure gun sales cannot be limited in any way.

A divided three-judge panel of the court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, in San Francisco, ruled that the Second Amendment did not permit the age limit and that 18-year-olds have a constitutional right to buy such weapons.

Saul Cornell, a historian at Fordham University, said both majority opinions had overlooked important historical evidence.

“Anyone who knows anything about founding-era law and looked at the standard treatises would understand that there was no category of young adult under Anglo-American law,” he said, summarizing an essay he published last year in The Yale Law & Policy Review. “Anyone under 21 was an ‘infant.’ Minors were legally disabled in the eyes of the law.”

Top Bottom
1 2