Guns are still America’s religion

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Exhibit A (this is really disturbing, but hey, this' what the gun do)

Guns make it way to easy to kill on impulse, primarily because a gun offers the ability, kind of like making you god and it goes to some people’s heads. Culturally we have a enormous issue since the gun movement started, backlash to gun control, of what the perception of reasonable is. If you have a gun and are allowed to use it without consequence, because you were having a disagreement with someone, and then allowed to use your personal feelings as a legally binding standard, I feared, or at least I said I feared, then we are all in deep shit. Justifiable killing skyrocketing to all time highs, just because there is a gun present wielded by a human being. You best be fast on the draw to win the argument. :unsure::oops:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
…. I hate to generalise, but 99% of bikers are wankers with leather and gang fetishes. …
Then you should probably not do it, or try to do it in ways that are not so utterly absurd. I know for an absolute fact that 87.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot, but I also know from experience that the proportion of assholes to decent people is exactly the same for automobile drivers as it is for bikers, and the distribution of cowardice is the same.

But, bikers are significantly more vulnerable out on the road, and the fact that the biker was not injured could very well have been a difference of inches. The first rule of vehicle operation, which applies to bikes as well as cars and trucks, the prime duty of the motorist is to not let their vehicle hit stuff. Unintentionally or deliberately, you have absolutely no right whatsoever to make contact with anything nor anyone. Ever. No matter how pissed off you are. End of story.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Then you should probably not do it, or try to do it in ways that are not so utterly absurd. I know for an absolute fact that 87.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot, but I also know from experience that the proportion of assholes to decent people is exactly the same for automobile drivers as it is for bikers, and the distribution of cowardice is the same.

But, bikers are significantly more vulnerable out on the road, and the fact that the biker was not injured could very well have been a difference of inches. The first rule of vehicle operation, which applies to bikes as well as cars and trucks, the prime duty of the motorist is to not let their vehicle hit stuff. Unintentionally or deliberately, you have absolutely no right whatsoever to make contact with anything nor anyone. Ever. No matter how pissed off you are. End of story.
But you can shoot anybody that makes you feel threatened. Ain’t America Great?

U

User.45

Well regulated militias would be the State Guard, period. My understanding is that most States outlawed “private militias” after the Civil War, but I can’t say how many of those laws are still on the books.
Not countering you, just saying…
Owning a gun and bearing it does not mean it can’t be regulated, including when it can or can’t be beared. The idea of blanket bearing your arms, as vaguely mentioned in the 2A was written during the time muskets and mostly rural living In a country who had just thrown off the yoke of a colonial power. It needs desperately to be updated, but that’s not happening during gun mania.

Yup, that's exactly my point. I've yet to meet a person waving 2A to actually provide an interpretation of the actual text. I personally think that if it's the same sentence, you cannot dissociate the militia part from the bear Arms part. The other thing is, as I mentioned, neither interpretation of 2A precludes criminal accountability regarding what happens with your firearm.

I know for an absolute fact that 87.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot, but I also know from experience that the proportion of assholes to decent people is exactly the same for automobile drivers as it is for bikers, and the distribution of cowardice is the same.
Luckily, someone made up these stats for us already and they smell like a locker room and jock straps:

Motorcyclists exhibited higher scores for the temperament factors of novelty seeking and persistence and lower scores for harm avoidance and reward dependence in comparison to the Brazilian population). Considering the reason for motorcycle use, the group of riders that used their motorcycles for work exhibited more temperament factors associated with risk behaviors than those who did not. It was observed that 68.9% of them had low Harm Avoidance (HA) factor scores, whereas 72.1% had high Novelty Seeking (NS) factor scores.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Republicans know how to lie, cheat and scare people. That is how they win elections. Any regulation that democrats want to do even if it's not taking guns away from people they'll spin it that way. Democrats have no spine and let Republicans bully them. And they get away with it. I'm waiting for the day democrats get a spine. I think that will happen with the younger generation growing up. *fingers crossed*

I am fine with reasonable regulation.

The problem is you have those like Beto, who flat out says he wants to take them, so all Dems get painted as such. The other problem is half the "proposed regulations" won't do anything to combat gun violence. I would equate them to "busywork" given to a student just to keep them busy while not teaching them anything.

U

User.45

If only there was a “good guy with a gun“ there, right?

Still too soon to discuss gun control…

In a similar incident in October, police said they believed a teenager who was playing with a gun in Connecticut accidentally shot and killed a 16-year-old boy.

According to Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, more than 1,300 children in the U.S. are killed by guns each year."

The American Academy of Pediatrics believes the best way to prevent gun-related injuries to children is to remove guns from the home. However, if you choose to keep a gun in the house, it is important that it is unloaded and locked, and the ammunition is stored and locked in a separate location," Nationwide Children's Hospital wrote.

Takes us back to what I've been repeating over and over again. People need to be held criminally accountable for what happens with their guns.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Takes us back to what I've been repeating over and over again. People need to be held criminally accountable for what happens with their guns.

They are charging the people from the thanksgiving shooting.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
That one story has this link at the bottom

The story says it was "an accident", which pisses me off. There are no "accidents" with guns, just fuckups, which guns tend to make worse.

And I shudder to think about that child as a teenager, when cousin Louise says, "You killed your dad," and that person does not believe her.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
They are charging the people from the thanksgiving shooting.
They are charging the 13-year old kid. Does he even know how a gun works? Did he know it was a real gun? America - blame kids for shooting a gun, not the gun lobby, not the parents… what a crappy system. Anytime a kid gets a hold of a gun, there should be automatic penalties for the gun owner. If we had that, maybe they would take securing their guns seriously.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
That one story has this link at the bottom

The story says it was "an accident", which pisses me off. There are no "accidents" with guns, just fuckups, which guns tend to make worse.

And I shudder to think about that child as a teenager, when cousin Louise says, "You killed your dad," and that person does not believe her.
Reading about the many shootings by little kids who were playing with a gun left by the parents in that article… :cry:

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
They are charging the 13-year old kid. Does he even know how a gun works? Did he know it was a real gun? America - blame kids for shooting a gun, not the gun lobby, not the parents… what a crappy system. Anytime a kid gets a hold of a gun, there should be automatic penalties for the gun owner. If we had that, maybe they would take securing their guns seriously.

They are going to charge the gun owner too.

U

User.45

Good Og, man, 13? Of course a thirteen year old knows how a gun works. I knew how guns work at 10, and I am not all that bright.
I took a class in HS just to shoot guns LOL
Well, even better justification for criminal penalties for adults misplacing them.

They are going to charge the gun owner too.
Can you provide something more concrete than a maybe to justify this statement?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I took a class in HS just to shoot guns LOL

I want to say I learned in Boy Scouts.

The problem is the anti-gun crowd doesn't want even gun safety taught. I made sure to teach my daughter if she was ever over at someone's house and a gun came out, leave immediately and find an adult. She also knew never to touch one unless an adult was with her and shooting was the reason the gun was out.

She got her first slide bite at 9. :)

Yoused

up
Reaction score
I want to say I learned in Boy Scouts.
Yes. Boy Scouts start pretty early. I remember doing target shooting with .22s on a range, probably around age 9 or 10. Urban youth, of course, may not have as much access to those kind of activities.

The problem is the anti-gun crowd doesn't want even gun safety taught.
That is just ridiculous.

Top Bottom
1 2