Haircuts

JagRunner

Site Champ
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I just got a haircut today. I can't do what she does. Maybe if my hair was an easy type to cut, but it's not.

Huntn

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Toward the end of last year when I had no idea when I'd be getting vaccinated, I broke down and bought an inexpensive battery powered clipper set. It did the main job I wanted it to, which was keeping my hair from growing down over my ears. That drives me crazy.

My wife and I both tried to fully cut my hair, but with old age comes the wisdom to know when you're not very good at something and move on.

So now I'm back to getting professional haircuts. But the last few times I've gone (to one of those chain places), two different stylists insisted, while we were chatting, that you can't trust the news media. If I brought up something that was in the news that day, they had a reason why it probably wasn't true.

So I'm done with that place, I guess. There's a new barber shop that opened near me. I think I'll give that a try.
In Minnesota there were no barbershops just hair cutting franchise Salons. In Texas I found an old tImey barbershop, but unfortunately, maybe fortunately I donā€™t talk politics there. What I remember as a young adult as down to Earth, common sense country folk, has taken a serious hit in the last 5 decades.

Last edited:

Huntn

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I prefer the corded clipper, and it's super easy to navigate around the cord.

I had one mishap in the last couple of months (after doing this for years and years), the blue guard (which is why I got a new one - see above), came off right when I was start a neckline to over the ear (back to front), didn't realize it came off - went through the normal motion __without__ a guard, hahahaha ...

I just don't care, so I went with a Major League + Hawkeye look, to make it symmetrical :D
I tried to drag my Wahl DIY clipper through my hair the first time without a guard to see how it felt, (turned off) and remember those sharp blades gouging my skin. šŸ‘€

Question: the how-to guides Iā€™ve seen say basically on the side, start at the bottom and go up. So instead you can go from the temple and straight back over the ear and down the back?

Huntn

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing! I soooo would have needed this back in the day when I cut my own hair. Good to know that it exists!

There are advantages to corded models. My trimmerā€™s battery decided to degrade rapidly and one day gave up halfway through. That was fun.
Ok, I was going to keep this secret, but this while looking silly, seemed like it was a great idea:

Itā€˜s fine for the sides, but when I try to cut the back of my head it and the cord seem to get in each otherā€™s way and it ends up smooshed against my arm. It would be much better for someone else doing the cutting. Iā€™ll probably cut the straps, let it hang on me, and just let my hair fall to the floor. I cut it in the bathroom on tile so hair on the floor is not a big deal to sweep up.

Thomas Veil

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
In Minnesota there were no barbershops just hair cutting franchise Salons. In Texas I found an old tImey barbershop, but unfortunately, maybe fortunately I donā€™t talk politics there. What I remember as a young adult as down to Earth, common sense country folk, as taken a serious hit in the last 5 decades.
I thought I had a good barber for a while. He was a young tattooed dude who knew what he was doing. Unfortunately, he always had one or two buddies hanging around the shop and I would end up listening to the sordid details of their night time debauchery. That's not what I came there for either.

Doesn't anybody just discuss the weather anymore, and hey, who do you think your team will pick in the draft?

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score

Pumbaa

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
In Minnesota there were no barbershops just hair cutting franchise Salons. In Texas I found an old tImey barbershop, but unfortunately, maybe fortunately I donā€™t talk politics there. What I remember as a young adult as down to Earth, common sense country folk, as taken a serious hit in the last 5 decades.
Common sense is not so common.

One of my neighbors had her own salon for many years and as far as I know worked in that hairy business all her life until retirement. The conversations with customers over the years apparently made her an expert on any and all topics. Well, except for technology. You see, only young people can understand technology so no point in trying. I distanced myself after helping with the new online banking thingie turned into getting her Astrology software to run.

As for my local traditional barbershop - fun guys, but anything they say about anything other than hair or beards? Take it with a grain hopper of salt. And stay away from politicsā€¦

Top Bottom