Haircuts

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm a male, with usually shortish hair. Since COVID I've been letting my hair grow longer and I saw an ad for this Microtouch Tinanium Trimmer which puts the hard sell on cutting your own hair, but when I looked it up, apparently it's a piece of junk.

Then I started looking at different brands of hair trimmers at Amazon, and most of them had some scathing reviews for the prices in the $50 range. I mean I'd think if you were buying a trimmer for $20 or less it's a piece if junk, but even some of the $50 Wahl and Phillips got bad reviews.

Also am considering the Wahl 5 Star trimmer set for $110. Good, yes?

So, what make and model of hair trimmer do you use to cut your own hair that you are happy with?
And how hard is cutting your own hair? This video makes it look...not that hard. šŸ¤”

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I went with these and no complaints.

Iā€™ve done long natural hair, dyed black long hair, and short hair with random bleach spots with highlights. All ā€œa thingā€ at the time. Once I hit 40 I started getting a buzz at the barber and no more hair color silliness. Once COVID closed barber shops I got the clippers and had friends or family buzz it. Now I pretty much just do it myself with the only real difficulty being getting the back neck line clean and straight. I donā€™t plan to go back to the barbers if/when they reopen. For all I know they already have, but my current hairstyle doesnā€™t require a skilled hairsmith.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I've had this model, or at least, a Wahl kit that looks exactly like this (same color, corded, same case, same color coded guards) for like 10 years, I bought it when we were OOT, my (long hair at the time) was driving me nuts, went out scored it from the mall from like Sears, and it's been used pretty regularly since. I was already buzzing my hair before the Covid, so it was no big deal for me :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input and posting the models. I definitely donā€™t want buzzed hair and watching the video I posted it does not seem so hard. I understand the comment about hair everywhere. Iā€™d buy a bib, do it in the bathroom on tile and vacuum afterwards. Thanks for the offer @fooferdoggie , but for this I would prefer to buy new. If concerned, it will be that I buy this, use it once, and then never again, not that that would be all that terrible of a tragedy. :)

U

User.191

As for myself, in 3 weeks time the good lady wife and I are going to drop a huge amount of dollar bills at our local salon and getting a hair-do for the ages as a reward to holding back for the last 16+ months....

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The problem with attempting a very "styled" cut, is, well, it's hard. Just doing a 3-level clip is SO much easier, and even if you want to go "tall on top", it's still just doing a blue guard up to a point, then an orange guard for the rest.

Trying to trim, blend, etc., well, all I can say is, be prepared to clip it all off.

And when I say buzz, I'm talking about this:

1619185357373.png

1619185447594.png

Maybe a little shorter, but just a mostly equal length, blended to the top, not like basic training type skinned ...

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I started doing my husband's hair pre-Covid. It was not great at first. I'm now at the point where I use my hands as much as the clipper and measure with fingers. His cuts look pretty professional. During the time I was starting to grow hair in post-chemo I used the clippers on myself (he wouldn't do it for me). Started with an old dog clipper. They are all the same unless you're a stylist using them on someone else.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I've been trimming/cutting my own hair for years, after a disastrous visit to a hair salon after which I came home and thought, "I need to fix this!" and found that I could, and after that just kept doing my own hair. Some years ago I also used to color it as well, but those days are gone and my hair is what it's meant to be: silvery-pewter very slowly, subtly and gradually heading-into-white.....

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
The problem with attempting a very "styled" cut, is, well, it's hard. Just doing a 3-level clip is SO much easier, and even if you want to go "tall on top", it's still just doing a blue guard up to a point, then an orange guard for the rest.

Trying to trim, blend, etc., well, all I can say is, be prepared to clip it all off.

And when I say buzz, I'm talking about this:

View attachment 4692

View attachment 4694

Maybe a little shorter, but just a mostly equal length, blended to the top, not like basic training type skinned ...

I cut the sides shorter than the top, but otherwise, it's just a buzz.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I cut the sides shorter than the top, but otherwise, it's just a buzz.

Same, just a little more tight on the lower back sides, a little blend, mostly short-ish. I let the top grow out for some tall hair while I can manage it, then I get tired of it and whack it all off.

And I know you're wondering, and yes, I'm little Liev Schreiber and a little Brad Pitt ... ;)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Iā€™ll be experimenting with the longer guards, want my hair about 1-1.5ā€ when finished. However Iā€™m not clear on what guard numbers those would be. The clippers I bought include twelve guards so I think I am covered.

Of interest Iā€™ve been reading about returns on Amazon and apparantly some customers are getting ā€œnewā€ clippers with hair on them. One company said We have no control how Amazon handles repackaging. I always thought returned items went back to the manufacturer or seller...

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I clipped my hair this afternoon with a number 8 (1ā€) and no.6 (3/4ā€), it looks good and was fairly easy other than I immediately regretted a corded model. I bought a little Phillips norelco trimmer, great for around the ears and neck line with this:

which was great for DIY.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I clipped my hair this afternoon with a number 8 (1ā€) and no.6 (3/4ā€), it looks good and was fairly easy other than I immediately regretted a corded model. I bought a little Phillips norelco trimmer, great for around the ears and neck line with this:

which was great for DIY.
Amazing! I soooo would have needed this back in the day when I cut my own hair. Good to know that it exists!

There are advantages to corded models. My trimmerā€™s battery decided to degrade rapidly and one day gave up halfway through. That was fun.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Toward the end of last year when I had no idea when I'd be getting vaccinated, I broke down and bought an inexpensive battery powered clipper set. It did the main job I wanted it to, which was keeping my hair from growing down over my ears. That drives me crazy.

My wife and I both tried to fully cut my hair, but with old age comes the wisdom to know when you're not very good at something and move on.

So now I'm back to getting professional haircuts. But the last few times I've gone (to one of those chain places), two different stylists insisted, while we were chatting, that you can't trust the news media. If I brought up something that was in the news that day, they had a reason why it probably wasn't true.

So I'm done with that place, I guess. There's a new barber shop that opened near me. I think I'll give that a try.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
There are advantages to corded models. My trimmerā€™s battery decided to degrade rapidly and one day gave up halfway through. That was fun.

Yeah, I prefer the corded clipper, and it's super easy to navigate around the cord.

I can't cut my own hair, and I'm not going to attempt it lol

I had one mishap in the last couple of months (after doing this for years and years), the blue guard (which is why I got a new one - see above), came off right when I was start a neckline to over the ear (back to front), didn't realize it came off - went through the normal motion __without__ a guard, hahahaha ...

I just don't care, so I went with a Major League + Hawkeye look, to make it symmetrical :D

Top Bottom
1 2