Have a timeline in your 2020-2021 high school yearbook showing all the year's events that were in the news? Well we can't have facts being displayed

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The theme of Bigelow High School's 2020-21 yearbook was The Roaring 20s. But it appears officials at the Arkansas school wanted the student record of the events of the tumultuous year to be a little less of a roar and more of a meow.

Before delivering the keepsakes to students earlier this month, school administrators ripped out a two-page spread depicting a timeline of events from the academic year. Among the high/lowlights included were the police killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, former President Donald Trump's claims of a rigged election, the Jan. 6 insurrection, and the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

It is unclear who was behind the decision to excise the pages from the student-designed yearbook, but East End School District Superintendent Heidi Wilson justified the move by citing "community backlash."

Wilson did not reply to NPR's requests for comment.

Some students and parents say it's censorship.
high-school-accused-censorship-rip-out-yearbook-pages-floyd-covid-riot

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
The theme of Bigelow High School's 2020-21 yearbook was The Roaring 20s. But it appears officials at the Arkansas school wanted the student record of the events of the tumultuous year to be a little less of a roar and more of a meow.

Before delivering the keepsakes to students earlier this month, school administrators ripped out a two-page spread depicting a timeline of events from the academic year. Among the high/lowlights included were the police killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, former President Donald Trump's claims of a rigged election, the Jan. 6 insurrection, and the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

It is unclear who was behind the decision to excise the pages from the student-designed yearbook, but East End School District Superintendent Heidi Wilson justified the move by citing "community backlash."

Wilson did not reply to NPR's requests for comment.

Some students and parents say it's censorship.
high-school-accused-censorship-rip-out-yearbook-pages-floyd-covid-riot

But, "cancel culture!"

We had a similar timeline in our yearbook. There was the discovery of fire, the first dog, and Ogg's discovery of the obsidian blade.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I’d be willing to bet the “community” complaints were the usual assortment of bullies, crackpots and snowflakes.

The community complaints really confuse me. If the pages were removed before the books were distributed, as suggested in the story, then what was there to complain about? No one had seen them at that point, so what would the community have to complain about?

If it was known what was in the books ahead of time, why did it only become a community issue when the books arrived and not at some earlier point?

I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation there somewhere. But I'm not seeing it.

Top Bottom
1 2