HD DVD

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score
Even if it turned out PC use didn’t really materialize like hoped.
I was disappointed about that. It probably has more to do with the decline of optical discs in general, but it would've been great for physical movie playback on computers and higher capacity storage.

In terms of branding, the HD DVD format was more familiar and obvious as to how it was better than its predecessor. For those reasons, I'd argue that it's better than the Blu-ray format.

As a side note, I don't even think the latest version of Windows can fit on a DVD anymore.

Microsoft still includes an "HD DVD" icon in the latest version of Windows, so I guess it wasn't really a failure after all? ;)
1658336594784.png

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed about that. It probably has more to do with the decline of optical discs in general, but it would've been great for physical movie playback on computers and higher capacity storage.

There have been playback apps available all along. And I’ve got an “M-Disc” (archival quality BD-R) compatible burner for myself. But yeah, thumb drives killed the optical disc.

In terms of branding, the HD DVD format was more familiar and obvious as to how it was better than its predecessor. For those reasons, I'd argue that it's better than the Blu-ray format.

Arguably minor in the scheme of: does it look good (yes to both)? And are my favorite movies on it?

The thing is, the biggest thing was short term costs (reusing DVD manufacturing and tech) versus long term thinking (better data density). Otherwise for the person who just wanted to watch a movie, the two weren’t that different.

As a side note, I don't even think the latest version of Windows can fit on a DVD anymore.

The installer ISO is less than 6GB. So you could still distribute it on DVD.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Oh, never mind then. I thought I remembered somebody saying that Windows 11 was too large to be installed onto a DVD.
Windows 11 is too big once installed on a drive, but the installer is still reasonable. Same is true for macOS, small installer, big final install.

Windows 11's ISO is a little smaller than Windows 10's. Huh.

Top Bottom
1 2