Healthy eating recipes

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Good idea, @Chew Toy McCoy . I’m gonna jump in with my latest discovery: jackfruit.

If you’re not familiar with it, you can find it in most grocery stores. Frequently it’s prepared with BBQ sauce, and is awesome on a bun with some coleslaw. The texture is a little like pulled pork. It can also be sliced and is more like mushrooms. Not much of a taste on its own, but it works great as a meat replacement. I recently made my first jackfruit chili. It was awesome.

F837130B-50DC-48B8-B11D-DA8341555A07.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
This one is healthy. We can do another one for tasty. Not that they are separate.

Okay.

It is just that when I read the word "healthy" in relation to food, I get twitchy, thinking of all of those killjoy recipes that are leached of all pleasure or taste or flavour, and immediately feel an urgent need to double whatever quantities of butter, olive oil, double cream, and pancetta I plan to put into a given dish.

Let's do "tasty" as well, then.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
This is what I should be doing, since I was diagnosed with high cholesterol during my last blood testing. Of course the first thing I did after returning from the doctor was get a nice, fat, loaded burrito from the local Mexican restaurant.

The way I see it, my cholesterol may be high, but everything else came back perfectly, so why not celebrate?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
There are lots of sites with pretty tasty healthful recipes nowadays...

My only caveat would be for people who think that just dodging red meat means calories don't count and etc wishful thoughts. Americans are not great at portion control, so a "healthful" taco recipe that turns into a plateful of the things for a solo lunch won't sum up to an improvement in health in the end, sad to say!

Tasty recipes for jackfruit do abound, both the entrée type and the dessert ones. I had only ever tried one that was for tacos and happily enough arrived at "pretty much like shredded chicken"... and doctor on it every time I go again, so by now I have a few fast and favorite takes on that idea, same as with any tacos... but have meant to try some jackfruit recipes that are more like a curry or chili. Alli's post reminded me of that for sure.

I have not wanted to bother getting into dealing with fresh jackfruit so I've used canned young fruit as the starting point for my adventures and will probably stick to that. It's usually available online...

https://www.amazon.com/Native-Forest-Organic-Young-Jackfruit/dp/B0733PH4CB

Renzatic

Reaction score
If there is one boon to growing older, it's that my tolerance for junk food is considerably lower than it once was. There are only a couple of fast food restaurants I can stomach these days, and I can barely muster up any enthusiasm for the corn chips and potato crisps I once loved so much. Nowadays, if it isn't some grilled or smoked meat, with a number of fresh, crisp vegetables on the side, I have a hard time getting excited for it. For example, a good New York Strip covered in pico de gallo, sautéed mushrooms, and grilled Brussel sprouts sounds about awesome to me at the moment.

The only exception to this is onion rings. I would still kill for onion rings.

lizkat

Reaction score
If there is one boon to growing older, it's that my tolerance for junk food is considerably lower than it once was. There are only a couple of fast food restaurants I can stomach these days, and I can barely muster up any enthusiasm for the corn chips and potato crisps I once loved so much. Nowadays, if it isn't some grilled or smoked meat, with a number of fresh, crisp vegetables on the side, I have a hard time getting excited fingor it. For example, a good New York Strip covered in pico de gallo, sautéed mushrooms, and grilled Brussel sprouts sounds about awesome to me at the moment.

oh wow I love onion rings... and don't make them from scratch and never will, but I think of them pretty often when I get hungry. I just don't like the idea of deep frying anything in a house, I really fear a grease fire, so I don't do it. Maybe that's silly but I'm set in my ways on that... If I lived in the city I'd be down at a place that does veggie tempura way too often... but I was never above just crusing through a Burger King for onion rings either.

what I'm thinking of trying next is a skillet bread recipe that's dirt simple and a friend emailed me the link, said it's wonderful. I love using pitas, naan, tortillas so the idea of a similar vehicle to go with a curry or beans or whatever sounds wonderful to me. Think I'm gonna try that out on my first connection with a day that looks like it's high time for a pot of chili. I always have the ingredients around for this particular recipe so I'm definitely going to try it out.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have not wanted to bother getting into dealing with fresh jackfruit so I've used canned young fruit as the starting point for my adventures and will probably stick to that. It's usually available online...

I got it canned from Amazon - only place I could find it. Last night I tried throwing it in the blender to make casserole. My husband said it tasted like crab cakes. I wasn’t totally happy with the consistency, but I know what to do the next time I try it.

The only thing I ever tried successfully to fry was beer-battered onion rings. My husband is an onion-ring slut.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Sigh.

Yes.

I may be a bit of a gourmand - and I am a damned good chef - but, for good onions rings, I will still go weak at the knees.

oh wow I love onion rings... and don't make them from scratch and never will, but I think of them pretty often when I get hungry.

Yes, I love them, too.

In fact, post lockdown I have been perusing the trimmed menus of some of the places that are open, checking for certain that some of the classier burger spots, the "artisan" places, also serve onion rings.

'Cos, you never know, when greed (and opportunity) will strike.

If you want the best onion rings around, try to track down a Cheddar's in your neck of the woods. They are so damn good.

Okay.

I'm not likely to take you up on this, but I also do take heed of the best onion rings in my own location.

The only thing I ever tried successfully to fry was beer-battered onion rings. My husband is an onion-ring slut.

I'm with @Renzatic and his wonderfully apt post (quoted below); even this greedy gourmand thinks that onion rings are well worth......the adapting, amending, and adjusting of some principles concerning the subject of bring slutty.

Can't blame him. Onion rings are worth being slutty for.

Amen to that.

Last edited:

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
This is what I should be doing, since I was diagnosed with high cholesterol during my last blood testing. Of course the first thing I did after returning from the doctor was get a nice, fat, loaded burrito from the local Mexican restaurant.

The way I see it, my cholesterol may be high, but everything else came back perfectly, so why not celebrate?
hope they did not give you prescription for it, if they did your DEATH insurance rates might shoot up. I have a little policy in case I croak .

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

We have a local place that has the greatest onion rings ever produced, seriously, I'm a bit of a connoisseur, I've had them so many times, east to west coast, all sorts of places in between, and these are without equal.

In fact, we're going to get some tomorrow.

lizkat

Reaction score
If you want the best onion rings around, try to track down a Cheddar's in your neck of the woods. They are so damn good.

Gee, closest one is only 265 miles away, in York, PA. Gonna have to settle for onion soup made here (that I don't mind doing once in a great while), or else hope that tempura place in NYC I like delivers, that's only about 160 miles. Or there's Burger King over in Oneonta. I'm not too proud to get someone to drive through there for me once in awhile.

lizkat

Reaction score
We have a local place that has the greatest onion rings ever produced, seriously, I'm a bit of a connoisseur, I've had them so many times, east to west coast, all sorts of places in between, and these are without equal.

In fact, we're going to get some tomorrow.

Awkkkkk! This is where over at that other place, I'd be banned. Well I'll self-censor, unsure of where the line is with my new mods.

IF YOU GO... as the NYT travel pieces always wrap up: may you get a flat tire chuckling about us here.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
HUGE (like 7-8" across), thick, sweet, Vidalia onions, peppery buttermilk breading, smokey spicy ranch, these are onion rings handed straight down from the O' Mighty One(s) ...

IMG_1257_1200.jpg IMG_5871_1200.jpeg

Renzatic

Reaction score
Okay.

I'm not likely to take you up on this, but I also do take heed of the best onion rings in my own location.

The nice thing about them is that they're not complicated at all. They're dipped in a basic buttermilk batter, with a few spices thrown in for variety. They're light, they're crunchy, and they're flaky. They are awesome, and I haven't found better at any other restaurant, whether fast food or locally owned.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
You know, I think that this is hilarious (and wonderful).

A thread that is supposed to be about (well, that is what its title says) "healthy eating recipes" turns out to be a sustained (and dare I say, collective) love song to the culinary source of joy that are onion rings.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You know, I think that this is hilarious (and wonderful).

A thread that is supposed to be about (well, that is what its title says) "healthy eating recipes" turns out to be a sustained (and dare I say, collective) love song to the culinary source of joy that are onion rings.

Onions, are, umm, a vegetable ... therefore ... HEALTHY!

Top Bottom
1 2