Hey Trump! Look what Putin can do!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
By contrast, Trump is going to be a volatile walking US security threat (as if he isn't already) as long as he continues to breathe. As a result Congress may have to pass legislation that all past presidents and their families need to be kept on a compound cut off from the outside world.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The timing seems to indicate that Putin is trolling his no-longer-useful idiot in the White House.

Actually, this has been in the legal works for a while.

Quite honestly, I see this more in terms of preparing the political (and legal) ground for a possible exit-strategy, in the event that this becomes necessary, rather than "trolling Trump."

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Actually, this has been in the legal works for a while. Quite honestly, I see this more in terms of preparing the political (and legal) ground for a possible exit-strategy, in the event that this becomes necessary, rather than "trolling Trump."

That's a good point, like Trump pondering preemptively pardoning himself. But even if not meant to be directly, it's still trolling Trump because Putin pulled it off in almost a more legitimate way.

Between Trump's late age and massive (and deserved) paranoia I don't think he's concerned specifically on what they could get him on, but more that there's a mountain of possibilities of what they could get him on and investigating one will probably lead them to others. His whole career was tied up in litigation and that strategy hasn't seemed to work out for him lately, especially now that the country and the world will be laser focused on his once secret tactics.

MarkusL

Power User
Reaction score
Actually, this has been in the legal works for a while.

Quite honestly, I see this more in terms of preparing the political (and legal) ground for a possible exit-strategy, in the event that this becomes necessary, rather than "trolling Trump."
Fair enough, he is not only trolling Trump. I am sure Putin needs the immunity. But the whole thing accentuates just how bad Trump is at doing the whole corrupt autocrat thing. As much as Trump wants to be a Putin, he’s just too lazy and incompetent. And the immunity for the president’s children just has to be a wink to Trump. :D

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Fair enough, he is not only trolling Trump. I am sure Putin needs the immunity. But the whole thing accentuates just how bad Trump is at doing the whole corrupt autocrat thing. As much as Trump wants to be a Putin, he’s just too lazy and incompetent. And the immunity for the president’s children just has to be a wink to Trump. :D

Actually, while it (the immunity for presidential families) may also be "a wink to Trump", this is not about the United States (except in passing), rather, this is about securing a safe exit for a successful autocrat, and ensuring that his family's gotten gains, or, ill-gotten gains, during the years he has been in power and held various offices of state, will be secured.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Trump fortunately didn't quite get around to managing detention of high profile political opponents during his presidency. It was bad enough that the chants of "lock her up" helped defeat Clinton, and then there was the impeachable (and impeached) effort to bury Biden by trying to get Ukraine to dig up dirt on his son Hunter.

But Putin... there's a guy doesn't waste any time when he feels a cold breeze in the air.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1350875631391805461/

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Trump fortunately didn't quite get around to managing detention of high profile political opponents during his presidency. It was bad enough that the chants of "lock her up" helped defeat Clinton, and then there was the impeachable (and impeached) effort to bury Biden by trying to get Ukraine to dig up dirt on his son Hunter.

But Putin... there's a guy doesn't waste any time when he feels a cold breeze in the air.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1350875631391805461/
How dare he not die when we poison him!?!?!?!? Arrest him!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Actually, I think it - sending the message that he would be arrested on his return to Russia - was almost a hint to seek exile and/or asylum abroad.

The problem with that, of course, is that Russians who have fallen foul of the current administration - and subsequently fled abroad, or sought sanctuary abroad - have also died messily or been murdered while abroad.

So, choosing not to return is no guarantee that your life will not remain under threat.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Man, that guy is just asking to jump out the window accidentally.

Or fall down the stairs, or tumble off a balcony, or miss his footing about to enter a lift (elevator)......

It calls to mind the explanation (during the Communist takeover - using classic "salami tactics" - in the country then known as Czechoslovakia, in early 1948), when the well regarded and widely respected Foreign Minister, Jan Masaryk, son of the legendary Tomas Masaryk, was found in the courtyard of the Foreign Ministry with a broken neck.

The official explanation (historically, this was the second such outrageous "defenestration of Prague", the first had set off the Thirty Years War in 1618), was that Jan Masaryk had fallen out of his bathroom window while shaving. Of course, some unkind souls impertinently suggested that he may have been pushed. And there were others who irreverently speculated on whether he may have jumped, or leapt, instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2