Holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) in the age of Coronavirus

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
It's only a little more than a month away, so Halloween is already being discussed in our town. It's on, though how many will participate is unknown.

Mrs. Veil and I usually go to my daughter's to pass out candy while they take the kids around the hood. In a normal year their neighborhood gets a ton of trick or treaters. The sidewalks are just jammed. Many are from outside the area, and that may be more true than ever now that some cities have banned the holiday this year. And--how do I know kids are wearing a face mask under that Halloween mask?

Needless to say, we've already told our daughter that we're going to take a pass this year. She understands.

Beyond that, it's a little early but we're talking about what Thanksgiving would be like. Ordinarily it's roughly 20 people crammed in an average size house. If my family insists on doing it that way, I'm out. And so is my mother.

Personally I'm thinking that if we do get together at all, it'll be in small groups. At my house that would be me, the Mrs., my mom, and my brother.

And even that gives me pause, simply because we'd be spending hours together indoors and face masks come off when you're eating.

What are your thoughts?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s coming upon us fast, isn’t it. If it were tomorrow I’d tell you without a doubt that my mother, uncle & aunt, and brother and sister-in-law are on their own and I’d join via FaceTime. We usually migrate between Mom and her brother’s apartments depending on what part of the meal we’re ready to eat, so there’s never a big crowd anyway.

But...by the end of November, the decision may be based on the election outcome. My mother has already decided that if that man steals a second term then fuck it, she’s going out big and without a mask. If that’s the case I just won’t ever see her in person again.

As for Halloween, we haven’t had any trick or treaters here in years. So we’ll just turn off the porch light. Just in case.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere someone was organizing a neighborhood Covid halloween event. The plan is for parents to march their spooks down the street as homeowners throw candy at their feet.

I kinda giggled at the mental image 😈. I’m thinking giant jawbreakers.

“Dance you little bastards, dance!”
You have a hose right? Add some red food colouring in one of those car soap bottle attachments and you're good to go. Tell them the blood you are spraying is COVID infected. See how fast they run!

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I don’t know why, but this whole thread reminds me of one of Bill the Cat and Opus’ political campaigns.

2905C3BF-1ACF-4A6D-BD98-96D2AE4FC9EB.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We go - as some folks may recall from my obnoxious posts on MR - all in for Halloween.

A good bit of stuff is down from the attic, but 99% of the outside decorations is queued up in the upstairs landing room :D

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
We have a bunch of decorations up in the house. We’ll probably get some up outside, too.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
We go - as some folks may recall from my obnoxious posts on MR - all in for Halloween.

A good bit of stuff is down from the attic, but 99% of the outside decorations is queued up in the upstairs landing room :D
Looking forward to pumpkiny goodness!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Wife found the theater gels so the house will be orange and the trees purple for Halloween*. We don't get many kids, maybe 10 from the hood, but the houses here are pretty spread out so the kids here usually go down to one of the cookie cutter neighborhoods where the parents all try to outdo each other with how much candy they give out.

* We only do this for the 2 little girls who live on the street. They love it.

When is everyone having Trick or Treat? I think we are doing it on the 28th.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Ours is on the 31st, although we're an "old people's neighborhood" where the kids don't really visit.

Plus our daughter always has us come over to her house to distribute candy, which I think we're gonna do this year after declining last year.

First kid who shows up in a Trump shirt, like they did one year, is gonna get an all-day sucker up his ass.

Lollipop.jpg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We had to go to Home Depot for something and noticed they had their fake trees out so we ended up getting one, they only had a few left. Then we saw on the news that there's going to be a shortage of them because of supply chain issues, so we lucked out by hitting the store on the right day.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ever since my wife and I moved into a town home/apartment complex type thing - we haven't had any visitors. Probably doesn't help that we don't have any kids. But back when we used to rent a house in the high desert, trick o' treaters were pretty common. I think people get a bit more careful the closer to LA (city) you get. Oh well, saves on candy cost I guess.

Halloween is our favorite holiday so we decorate the house on the inside at least.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, funneling people into the garage, the crime scene will prevent front door access - and be a bloody mess :D

1634856728379.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Halloween requirement (also cross thread synergy ...)

Top Bottom
1 2