Holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) in the age of Coronavirus

Thomas Veil

Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
It's only a little more than a month away, so Halloween is already being discussed in our town. It's on, though how many will participate is unknown.

Mrs. Veil and I usually go to my daughter's to pass out candy while they take the kids around the hood. In a normal year their neighborhood gets a ton of trick or treaters. The sidewalks are just jammed. Many are from outside the area, and that may be more true than ever now that some cities have banned the holiday this year. And--how do I know kids are wearing a face mask under that Halloween mask?

Needless to say, we've already told our daughter that we're going to take a pass this year. She understands.

Beyond that, it's a little early but we're talking about what Thanksgiving would be like. Ordinarily it's roughly 20 people crammed in an average size house. If my family insists on doing it that way, I'm out. And so is my mother.

Personally I'm thinking that if we do get together at all, it'll be in small groups. At my house that would be me, the Mrs., my mom, and my brother.

And even that gives me pause, simply because we'd be spending hours together indoors and face masks come off when you're eating.

What are your thoughts?

Alli

Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
It’s coming upon us fast, isn’t it. If it were tomorrow I’d tell you without a doubt that my mother, uncle & aunt, and brother and sister-in-law are on their own and I’d join via FaceTime. We usually migrate between Mom and her brother’s apartments depending on what part of the meal we’re ready to eat, so there’s never a big crowd anyway.

But...by the end of November, the decision may be based on the election outcome. My mother has already decided that if that man steals a second term then fuck it, she’s going out big and without a mask. If that’s the case I just won’t ever see her in person again.

As for Halloween, we haven’t had any trick or treaters here in years. So we’ll just turn off the porch light. Just in case.

Gutwrench

Power User
Reaction score
I read somewhere someone was organizing a neighborhood Covid halloween event. The plan is for parents to march their spooks down the street as homeowners throw candy at their feet.

I kinda giggled at the mental image 😈. I’m thinking giant jawbreakers.

“Dance you little bastards, dance!”

Apple fanboy

Power User
Reaction score
I read somewhere someone was organizing a neighborhood Covid halloween event. The plan is for parents to march their spooks down the street as homeowners throw candy at their feet.

I kinda giggled at the mental image 😈. I’m thinking giant jawbreakers.

“Dance you little bastards, dance!”
You have a hose right? Add some red food colouring in one of those car soap bottle attachments and you're good to go. Tell them the blood you are spraying is COVID infected. See how fast they run!

Thomas Veil

Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
I don’t know why, but this whole thread reminds me of one of Bill the Cat and Opus’ political campaigns.

2905C3BF-1ACF-4A6D-BD98-96D2AE4FC9EB.png

Top Bottom