Home Appliances

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought I discussed buying a new fridge here, but I'll be damned if I can find the thread, anyway...

We recently took receipt of a new Frigidaire FFHB2705T 27CF refrigerator, made in Mexico, purchased from Home Depot on sale for $2200 + a 5 year warranty, $300. My observation is that so far we like it but, I've already noticed an issue with the ice maker where it seemed to jam up on the crushed ice setting. For this configuration it seems to be a common problem and here is the issue.

frigidaire-ffhb2750t.jpg

In the side by side Kenmore we still have, the left side is frozen, the right side is refrigerated. (it is headed to the garage.) With the ice maker on the left the ice stays cold no problem, yet the distribution of frozen food on a bunch of narrow width shelves can be inconvenient. On the new fridge, the freezer is on the bottom, nice and wide, plenty of space.

For this new configuration, the ice maker sits in the refrigerated portion of the fridge, and there appears to be a vent in the back that blows cold air into this ice maker, but it appears to be susceptible by virtue of sitting in the refrigerated space, the ice can freeze up. One thing very noticeable, with the original fridge, ice came out completely frozen, while with the new fridge the ice comes out wet, ie not as cold.

This happened to me the other day on the crushed ice setting. Now is this a matter of the ice crusher being weaker than the previous fridge? I don't know. To fix it, I switched it to cubed ice and that seemed powerful enough to power through and dispense, some cubed ice. When I put it back to the crushed setting it worked. I also dropped the temp of the refrigerated part from 37F to 35F to see if that might help the ice maker stay cold.

One thing that does impress me is this energy rating.

Frigidaire Model FFHB2750TD Energy Rating 2021.jpg

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You definitely did discuss it. The ice maker wouldn’t bother me since I don’t use ice. Man I want one like that though.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looks great!

When we replace ours, we want to get one that has two ice makers, or at the very least, has an after-the-fact option for a 2nd one. The typical setup is one in the door (like our current or the one above), and the 2nd in the lower freezer. The trick with the door ice maker, is looking for a design where it: 1) doesn't compromise the shelf space and 2) isolates the door system into, what's effectively a self-contained "freezer".

And then, holy mother of god, there are new fridges that makes __this__ kind of ice:

1628685468629.png

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
And then, holy mother of god, there are new fridges that makes __this__ kind of ice:
That’s an LG with craft ice. I only know about that because LG home products is my son’s account (he’s a PR guy) and he did this really cool event for them prior to the pandemic where they pitted Ice-T and Vanilla Ice against each other in a mix-off. Vanilla Ice won because his girlfriend is a bartender. But they had craft ice for days. A little picture I like to call “Ice, Ice, Baby.”
98282B37-EE17-401C-A242-171713377EBC.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks great!

When we replace ours, we want to get one that has two ice makers, or at the very least, has an after-the-fact option for a 2nd one. The typical setup is one in the door (like our current or the one above), and the 2nd in the lower freezer. The trick with the door ice maker, is looking for a design where it: 1) doesn't compromise the shelf space and 2) isolates the door system into, what's effectively a self-contained "freezer".

View attachment 7847
I was aware of the optional second freezer in the bottom drawer. The manufacturer (Frigidaire) says it can be installed by the home owner and I have enough mechanical aptitude, I think. :) We discussed this and decided to first see how things go as is.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was aware of the optional second freezer in the bottom drawer. The manufacturer (Frigidaire) says it can be installed by the home owner and I have enough mechanical aptitude, I think. :) We discussed this and decided to first see how things go as is.

I didn't realize yours had the option, that's awesome. The freezer drawer ice makers I've seen (at friends/family) are pretty nice, higher volume, in a much colder area so no issues with wet/melted ice, etc.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I love tech of all types and all the cool, new modes and features and stuff appliances have. And yet, due to two of my appliances having significant issues (both Samsungs – I won't make that mistake again), part of me is like, give me something simple that just works.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I love tech of all types and all the cool, new modes and features and stuff appliances have. And yet, due to two of my appliances having significant issues (both Samsungs – I won't make that mistake again), part of me is like, give me something simple that just works.

Had a Samsung Washer & Dryer. Junk. Will never buy another Samsung appliance. Their TV's are fine, but never again on the appliances.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve had no issue with Samsung TVs, but when I started reading about their refrigerators, I backed away. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn't realize yours had the option, that's awesome. The freezer drawer ice makers I've seen (at friends/family) are pretty nice, higher volume, in a much colder area so no issues with wet/melted ice, etc.
If there is a concern, it is how much space the second ice maker takes up. In that picture, where is the ice making mechanism? In my model the second ice maker sits in the bottom. In your picture, it looks like the ice maker sits in a drawer?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If there is a concern, it is how much space the second ice maker takes up. In that picture, where is the ice making mechanism? In my model the second ice maker sits in the bottom. In your picture, it looks like the ice maker sits in a drawer?

Yeah, our friends who have one, it's like a shallow drawer, it's neat, it doesn't take up much depth and it doesn't slide out with the main door, so it stays out of the way.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Picture of the Frame TV?
AA93C49B-74DF-4853-A035-B769228C4F0F.jpeg

I don’t like the TV hung above the fireplace and until I move it, I wanted something that blended in a bit better. I love the Art Mode and the picture is pretty darn good to my eyes. It is QLED, so it isn’t quite as good as OLED, but having the easy to us Art Mode makes up for it.

Top Bottom
1 2