Home charging points for EV's

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind me putting a related post in this thread rather than starting a new one.

I've also been looking at EVSEs, and have been looking at ClipperCreek since it needs to be installed outdoors, and I'd much prefer something reliable and built like a tank. I noticed they have an add-on you can get that's called "ChargeGuard" which takes either a key or uses external low-voltage wiring to lock/unlock charging, similar to what the EA unit can do via the app. Bridge the wires, you can charge, disconnect them and charging is locked out, bridge them momentarily to only charge the currently connected vehicle. So this got me thinking:

- DC/DC SSR hooked up to a Raspberry Pi and these control wires. Mount this in a project box inside the garage. Maybe add an override switch that can unlock the charger in case the Pi or the SSR is misbehaving.
- Mount the unit outside the garage, as normal.
- Write up a small web app + REST API that can lock/unlock the charger. Add a little state to the thing, and it can do scheduled charging or allow charging during certain times of day.

Hmm... I smell a possible DIY project here.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind me putting a related post in this thread rather than starting a new one.

I've also been looking at EVSEs, and have been looking at ClipperCreek since it needs to be installed outdoors, and I'd much prefer something reliable and built like a tank. I noticed they have an add-on you can get that's called "ChargeGuard" which takes either a key or uses external low-voltage wiring to lock/unlock charging, similar to what the EA unit can do via the app. Bridge the wires, you can charge, disconnect them and charging is locked out, bridge them momentarily to only charge the currently connected vehicle. So this got me thinking:

- DC/DC SSR hooked up to a Raspberry Pi and these control wires. Mount this in a project box inside the garage. Maybe add an override switch that can unlock the charger in case the Pi or the SSR is misbehaving.
- Mount the unit outside the garage, as normal.
- Write up a small web app + REST API that can lock/unlock the charger. Add a little state to the thing, and it can do scheduled charging or allow charging during certain times of day.

Hmm... I smell a possible DIY project here.
Have to be honest the sort of current these home chargers deal with, I wouldn't want to be messing. I think I've used my home charger all of about 3 times since I had it installed. I'm sure you could find an off the shelf option that would do this for you?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Sounds like it could be fun, though it seems like most BEVs have pretty sophisticated scheduling right in the vehicle (and most smart "chargers" have some kind of scheduling/analysis portal). Sounds like maybe you're looking for improved security as well[?]

I hear you about wanting something with beefy construction, that was one of my requirements when I decided to return our 32a EVSE (bought just for the 4xe), and go with a 40a (that could be used with something else, that wound up being the M3P).

Decided on a Grizzl-E, the company - United Charging - is out of Canada, and they've designed it to deal with their [winter] weather (or us being 2 blocks from the ocean). Very heavy duty casing, a big stainless mounting bracket (with a quick release that can also be secured), super thick 24' cable, 3 year with an optional 5 year warranty (that's apparently easy to resolve). We got the smart version since at the time (over a year ago) it was only like $30 more than the standard version (now it's close to $100 more ...)

I also wanted a plug-in model (vs. a hardwire), so I could easily swap it out in the event of a failure, use a backup charger as needed, easily re-install the replacement.

I like the ClipperCreek products quite a bit, if availability and price would've been equal at the time, it would've definitely been a toss up.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Have to be honest the sort of current these home chargers deal with, I wouldn't want to be messing. I think I've used my home charger all of about 3 times since I had it installed. I'm sure you could find an off the shelf option that would do this for you?

Yes there are off the shelf units, but nothing that really makes me want to put down the money on them. They seem serviceable, but I like bullet-proof and the less I need to think about something the better. I built my own aquarium light controller after spending too much money on off-the-shelf options that simply weren't what I wanted.

But here's the thing, this isn't me messing with the unit. The unit would arrive with a pair of control wires that are intended for the buyer to integrate into some sort of access control system. Normally that means hooking it up to a system that reads RFID badges or the like and checks them against a list of authorized users, but it can just as easily be anything that can close the circuit on these control wires so long as it's designed for the voltage. These are low voltage wires that run very little current through them. It could be hooked up to a simple switch off DigiKey or Mouser, really.

Sounds like it could be fun, though it seems like most BEVs have pretty sophisticated scheduling right in the vehicle (and most smart "chargers" have some kind of scheduling/analysis portal). Sounds like maybe you're looking for improved security as well[?]

Most do, yes (VWs shipping now have theirs sorted but earlier ones without the new software don't yet properly support it). I'm mostly just wanting the ability to lock it out when I'm not home without effectively cheaping out somewhere else to get the wifi bits added in. We don't have time-of-use rates here, so scheduling isn't important to me. It's just that once you have control over the lockout with software, scheduling is not that hard to add.

They have a version where it uses a key instead, which I believe is just hooked up to these control wires internally, instead of externally. It's the same price, but you can't just have "open access" without leaving the key in the lock, unfortunately. The real prize would have been one of their serial-enabled models which could be used for full monitoring as well, but since you have to sign an NDA to get the docs on the protocol, it's a lot less interesting for someone strapped for time, since it's not like you'd be able to open source the result and let others help with maintenance of the code.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, that sounds like their commercial type models. Since ours is installed inside a garage (and we work from home - and someone is always around), someone creeping up and stealing free electrons isn't much of a concern, but I can see plenty of situations where that could be an issue.

We have an option to go with a TOU rate (it requires a 3-6 month pre-order and special equipment install), but we charge plenty during the day, we're not 9-to-5 people :) I kind of just use, come home, charge. If you were charging overnight, and not using much electricity during the day, it's pretty good, it drops the nightly rate to like $0.03/kWh, but increases the daily rate to $0.24. Our fixed rate works out to about $0.11, which is pretty killer, lets the Tesla operate at around $0.03/mile, our Wrangler at ~$0.12 (the latter is used on battery only about 95% of the time).

Our power provider has an EV service option: their equipment, on their schedule (basically the same as the TOU), it's a flat monthly cost (based on average monthly mileage), their gear, it looks pretty good if you're on a more traditional schedule and don't mind someone else having control over your charging equipment (definitely not for us, and with our low mileage, the rate isn't even that cost effective ).

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
But here's the thing, this isn't me messing with the unit. The unit would arrive with a pair of control wires that are intended for the buyer to integrate into some sort of access control system. Normally that means hooking it up to a system that reads RFID badges or the like and checks them against a list of authorized users, but it can just as easily be anything that can close the circuit on these control wires so long as it's designed for the voltage. These are low voltage wires that run very little current through them. It could be hooked up to a simple switch off DigiKey or Mouser, really.
My first thought was garage door opener switch.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds like their commercial type models. Since ours is installed inside a garage (and we work from home - and someone is always around), someone creeping up and stealing free electrons isn't much of a concern, but I can see plenty of situations where that could be an issue.

It could also be I am a little paranoid. We haven't decided on going this route, but this wouldn't be the first Pi-based controller I've assembled.

My first thought was garage door opener switch.

Huh, that is an idea. I went on a bit of a tangent, but reading this made me look along those lines and I ran across a multitude of Chinese-made relays that can be controlled by a key fob like remote. Something like this could be hooked up straight to the control lines.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It could also be I am a little paranoid. We haven't decided on going this route, but this wouldn't be the first Pi-based controller I've assembled.

Huh, that is an idea. I went on a bit of a tangent, but reading this made me look along those lines and I ran across a multitude of Chinese-made relays that can be controlled by a key fob like remote. Something like this could be hooked up straight to the control lines.

I was thinking something like the MeRoss homekit garage door opener. Maybe the one that can control two doors. If you want a one-shot, you use it as is, and you hook up the other output to a flip-flop for a persistent signal. All controllable by homekit. Seems like fun.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I was thinking something like the MeRoss homekit garage door opener. Maybe the one that can control two doors. If you want a one-shot, you use it as is, and you hook up the other output to a flip-flop for a persistent signal. All controllable by homekit. Seems like fun.
Yeah, that would work. I haven't worked with garage door circuits, so I'm not super familiar with how the units are meant to be driven, but it seems like it would be fine for one-shot use like you say going from the details on the MeRoss.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, that would work. I haven't worked with garage door circuits, so I'm not super familiar with how the units are meant to be driven, but it seems like it would be fine for one-shot use like you say going from the details on the MeRoss.

Raspberry PI would be stronger geek cred, of course. I’ve got two around the house myself. One running homebridge (needlessly, as I could run it from a server I already have on all the time). Another was a hack job on an Arcade1up machine where i gutted the internals and replaced with a Pi. I had a couple more projects in mind but it’s too hard actually finding raspberry pi’s lately :)

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Raspberry PI would be stronger geek cred, of course. I’ve got two around the house myself. One running homebridge (needlessly, as I could run it from a server I already have on all the time). Another was a hack job on an Arcade1up machine where i gutted the internals and replaced with a Pi. I had a couple more projects in mind but it’s too hard actually finding raspberry pi’s lately :)

I have a couple that are between projects right now, especially after tearing down the second aquarium and moving the Pi-hole to a VM, and I also have one I keep around specifically for development purposes.

But I honestly think I could get this working and tested before the EVSE arrives and gets hooked up. The core of it could probably be built in a weekend, and maybe a second weekend to write a homebridge plugin for it and draft up a project box in CAD for it.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have a couple that are between projects right now, especially after tearing down the second aquarium and moving the Pi-hole to a VM, and I also have one I keep around specifically for development purposes.

But I honestly think I could get this working and tested before the EVSE arrives and gets hooked up. The core of it could probably be built in a weekend, and maybe a second weekend to write a homebridge plugin for it and draft up a project box in CAD for it.

I forgot that I also still have a handful of parts from my 3D printer build that I wound up buying spares or not using, including a Meanwell PSU that was originally bought to power the Pi at the heart of the printer. Should make this something you can just plug into a wall, I think.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Advantage of a 24 foot charging cable, seriously, get a long one. :D

1661265552259.png

Since a two-car is like a 1.75 car garage it's sometimes handy to avoid pulling all the way in, all doors are easily accessible, etc. I just bump the garage lip with the front tires and I can reach the port, usually I just keep it looped around the box since the Jeep front first and Tesla backed in, the two charging ports are directly across from each other and just a few feet from the wall the EVSE is mounted. I can also back the Jeep in, or come in front first with the Tesla and still reach both ports!

Hahaha, yes, I had tiles that were beat up, removed those, marked off the floor with duct tape and was going to prep and do a nice treatment ... and that was like 2 years ago, but it's back in the queue.

Also hanging above the Tesla, hahaha, an oil drain pan, I can probably put that into storage :ROFLMAO:

IMG_1795_1920.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2