Home charging points for EV's

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
So you think tyre and wheel insurance is worth it? I’ve had it offered but not looked into it yet.
Yes for sure on tyre insurance. Wheel insurance not so much though her indoors did curb mine the first time she drove it. Took me three days to stop crying.

The tyres are only £140 each - Bridgestones - but they are a strange size so are ordered in. They are soft and the torque from the i3 really rubs them down.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s all the crazy acceleration off the lights!
Drive it first THEN judge me for the acceleration…. ;-)
You are going to love it. Apart from the doors. Enjoy supermarket car parks with passengers in the back…. When you know, you’ll know….

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
You are going to love it. Apart from the doors. Enjoy supermarket car parks with passengers in the back…. When you know, you’ll know….
The acceleration of these electric cars is insane, without an ICE and all that goes with it they react instantaneously as well, really took some getting used to for me.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think I can count on one hand how many times I’ve had a passenger in the back of my Golf. So I think I’ll be fine.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Had a couple of test drives. So pretty sure I’ll enjoy the acceleration on occasion. But mostly I’m a good boy these days.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes for sure on tyre insurance. Wheel insurance not so much though her indoors did curb mine the first time she drove it. Took me three days to stop crying.

The tyres are only £140 each - Bridgestones - but they are a strange size so are ordered in. They are soft and the torque from the i3 really rubs them down.
My biggest fear! As we will be dropping to a one car family, Mrs AFB prangs it!

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
The acceleration of these electric cars is insane, without an ICE and all that goes with it they react instantaneously as well, really took some getting used to for me.
You mean took a while for the aching to go away in your face from smiling so much you mean?

Except for scaring the hell out of joggers creeping up on them at junctions…. They are great

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Tesla has now decided to no longer include the mobile connector with the car citing " low usage".........

Total BS........

They originally upped the price to $400( might as well get the wall connector for $95 more....), but due to outrage lowered it to $200......

Found on Reddit FWIW...

rq6iep987cu81.jpg

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
My biggest fear! As we will be dropping to a one car family, Mrs AFB prangs it!
Oh and check that if you go for service inclusive that it includes the brake fluid change because they got me on that one - free servicing except for £105 for brake fluid change…. Also, they will look to do it at year 1, it doesn’t need to be done until year 2 then every two years onwards.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Found on Reddit FWIW...

rq6iep987cu81.jpg

I am confused now. Is the mobile charger the cable to connect to untethered charge points when out and about? Not the plug in to the outlet slow charger? We have always had to pay for the cable though some dealerships here throw one in for “free”

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Oh and check that if you go for service inclusive that it includes the brake fluid change because they got me on that one - free servicing except for £105 for brake fluid change…. Also, they will look to do it at year 1, it doesn’t need to be done until year 2 then every two years onwards.
Ouch. The service inclusive bundle seem like a good deal then? What were they charging for that up in Scotland?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I am confused now. Is the mobile charger the cable to connect to untethered charge points when out and about? Not the plug in to the outlet slow charger? We have always had to pay for the cable though some dealerships here throw one in for “free”
I can't be sure but I take it to mean it won't come with any of it, in the end it'll mean every buyer will be shelling out another $200 on top of whatever the price is.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bargain. £360 for three years here. So basically you need to claim once a year (tyres) for it to be worth it.....
Is that realistic? Not sure.

Hmm, no not really..... Kwikfit charge £14 a corner per year for tyre insurance. That makes more sense I think though maybe not from them, to get that when you do the first change.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

There's only one EVSE that was (recently) included, it's referred to as the Tesla Mobile Connector. It has a Tesla specific connector on one end (as you might imagine), and the other end is a modular plug. The plug they included was the 110v/15a, the standard low power plugs here in the US ( NEMA spec N5-15), you know around the house for lamps, TV, etc:

You can remove that plug (it just pulls right out), and replace it with one of several other specs, that support higher output: N5-20, N14-30 (240v/30a, typical dryer outlet), N6-50 or N14-50, these are both 250v 50a specs, though the TMC peaks at 32a:

Tesla also includes an adapter that allows a J1772 spec connector to plug into a Tesla, looks like this:

1650370734254.png

That's what I use with our home EVSE, it's a 240v/40a setup, adapter slips right on, works perfect, get about 36 miles/hour on the Model 3, remove it to charge the 4xe (it peaks at 32a, that's automatically configured during the EVSE_to_Vehicle handshake).

That adapter is not for using a commercial DC Fast Charger, there's a couple of options: use a Tesla Supercharger, use a CHAdeMO adapter (this spec is pretty much EOL'ed ...) or wait for the North American CCS adapter, that will allow a Tesla to use DCFCs like Electrify America.

Teslas in other parts of the world have a CSS port on the car itself, so they already use that spec on both non- and Tesla branded DCFCs.

Top Bottom
1 2