Home Improvement Projects

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
When we move into our house about a decade ago, at my wife’s urging because of the dust, we had the AC/Heating (flexible) ducts cleaned, but ever since then she has continued to complain about the amount of dust In the house. We gave modern windows so I don’t think the dust is sneaking in there. And is not something that I really notice, other than after a period of time there is dust in the corners that can be swept up. Note she has allergies and this is a pollen heavy location. I change out furnace air filters on occasion, and they never seem to be horribly clogged.

Now she has decided we need to have our ducts changed out, at an expense of $1500-$5000 depending on how much ducting there is. We live in a 2500SF one story house, all of the ducting is accessible in the attic. So I ask her what happens after we’ve spent this money, her allergies are the same as they always have been?

My reason for posting, I’m wondering if there is a method to easily measure airborne dust? I‘ll research this, but thought I’d ask here.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Now she has decided we need to have our ducts changed out, at an expense of $1500-$5000 depending on how much ducting there is. We live in a 2500SF one story house, all of the ducting is accessible in the attic. So I ask her what happens after we’ve spent this money, her allergies are the same as they always have been?

First pull one off where it connects with a register and look inside with a flashlight to see if there is an accumulation of dust. That will tell you if it is really needed. My guess would be no.

But if so, then I am going to say give it a shot yourself. It is not hard to replace flexible duct. Watch a couple of youtube videos, get everything you need at Lowe's or Home Depot and give it a shot, Save yourself a ton.

Change your filters every 6 months with a high quality MERV 10+ (no higher than 12) rated one or if you insist on spending the money, get a UV filter installed instead of replacing the ducts. Honeywell makes a nice MERV 12 filter.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I am not a pro at this, but what @Herdfan said seems more like what I would be looking to spend money on: the filters. Get the ducts cleaned professionally, and then spend money on making sure they stay clean. If you replace all the duct work, that'll be fine for awhile, but without making sure the air going through them is clean, you'll be right back to where you are now.

Again, just my opinion, and I am not a professional.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
First pull one off where it connects with a register and look inside with a flashlight to see if there is an accumulation of dust. That will tell you if it is really needed. My guess would be no.

But if so, then I am going to say give it a shot yourself. It is not hard to replace flexible duct. Watch a couple of youtube videos, get everything you need at Lowe's or Home Depot and give it a shot, Save yourself a ton.

Change your filters every 6 months with a high quality MERV 10+ (no higher than 12) rated one or if you insist on spending the money, get a UV filter installed instead of replacing the ducts. Honeywell makes a nice MERV 12 filter.
I tend to be a DIY person and you are exactly right, it’s not that hard. The only bothersome issue is tromping around in the attic on the cellulose, but I anticipated this and laid out walkways under the cellulose. :) I would plan this in late fall/winter time frame. Thanks!

Today in Houston 95F, we warmed back up after Nicolas went by. Tomight a cold front comes though and morning temps predicted in the low 60s. This is moving into the good half of the year. I can easily handle 80s.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am not a pro at this, but what @Herdfan said seems more like what I would be looking to spend money on: the filters. Get the ducts cleaned professionally, and then spend money on making sure they stay clean. If you replace all the duct work, that'll be fine for awhile, but without making sure the air going through them is clean, you'll be right back to where you are now.

Again, just my opinion, and I am not a professional.
I’ve noticed that air filters found at the likes of Home Depot are exorbitantly priced. I tend to buy the better pleated ones from a local Heating /AC supplier. What is $8 each at a typical home supply store is $4.50 from the supplier. I can ask about the really good filters and see how much they are. Thanks!

Top Bottom
1 2