Horror movies

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
THOB has a pretty good atmosphere, they blend the real content, with the fictional narrative pretty well, I think by starting in what's basically an actual doc, and slowly adding in the additional story, gives it a real legitimate feel.

The leads are good, their interactions are natural (they use their real names and two are brothers in real life).

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
New Flanagan series drops today on Netflix and…

Can’t wait to check it out. I’m torn between starting it tonight or watching the new Hellraiser movie on Hulu that also dropped today.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
New Flanagan series drops today on Netflix and…

Can’t wait to check it out. I’m torn between starting it tonight or watching the new Hellraiser movie on Hulu that also dropped today.

Same. I think we're doing Hellraiser first!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same. I think we're doing Hellraiser first!

That's what I'm leaning toward too. I'll be out of town tomorrow to Sunday so it wouldn't be a good night to start something I might want to binge beyond an episode or 2.

I really don't know much about the Midnight Club but I fear it may be like Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, Del Toro was involved but it was kind of meh to me and I wouldn't put it as part of his canon. Flanagan has pretty much been hitting it out of the park since The Haunting of Hill House. I don't wish it, but he's kind of due for a slip or stinker.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I really don't know much about the Midnight Club but I fear it may be like Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, Del Toro was involved but it was kind of meh to me and I wouldn't put it as part of his canon. Flanagan has pretty much been hitting it out of the park since The Haunting of Hill House. I don't wish it, but he's kind of due for a slip or stinker.

I did read a review (that really like it) and this to say about that comparison:

To some of us ’90s kids, the setup will evoke Are You Afraid Of The Dark, even as the themes and gore of some of these late-night larks are decidedly more R-rated—and plenty scarier!—than that classic Nickelodeon series.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I did read a review (that really like it) and this to say about that comparison:

That might be an issue for me. At age 50 nostalgia really doesn’t do much for me. I have plenty of good personal memories of the 80’s and 90’s but not to the point of enjoying anything and everything that plays on that or takes part in those decades. Not a fan of Stranger Things which is clearly a nostalgia money grab. Also generally movies or shows that revolve heavily around teens or people in their early 20’s don’t appeal to me. Too much time is spent on the clichés of that age group or possibly how people my age don’t understand them. Yawn, that plot trope has been done a million times, but I realize it's new to every new generation. But at some age point it's out of most people's interests. Having kids of your own may extend that a bit. But we’ll see. These aren’t hard pass qualifiers.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think it was just saying if you're familiar with Are You Afraid Of The Dark then it's a bit different, even with some of the same setup - not that it tries to tap into nostalgia (like Stranger Things).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh geez, yes, make this happen!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Deadstream
R

Hahaha, this is just outstanding, and has appropriately great reviews:

1666469817370.png

Starts out as a farce about social media / influencers, goes into creepy / scary mode for the middle - and then ends with an Evil Dead inspired gross-o-rama.

Currently on AMC+ and Shudder (AMC+ has a Shudder "hub" with a large selection, this included).

FWIW, the new VHS anthology, V/H/S/99 has a segment written by the husband and wife team who made Deadstream!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched Terrifier 2. The kills make the Halloween and Friday the 13th franchises look like Disney productions. When you think he's about finished he'll kick it up a notch. Not really my horror genre of choice but if it's yours highly recommended.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched Terrifier 2. The kills make the Halloween and Friday the 13th franchises look like Disney productions. When you think he's about finished he'll kick it up a notch. Not really my horror genre of choice but if it's yours highly recommended.
I watched but the genre never really appealed to me especially after it moved into torture. Now I shy away from it. but still like certain horror stories not focused on gore, such as recently loved Get Out!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't expect Disney to produce an actual horror movie off this IP and I'm somewhat disappointed they are clearly going for a comedy angle again, but this looks better than the Eddie Murphy farce.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dropped today but I’m waiting until tomorrow to binge Mike Flanagan’s Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix over the weekend. Widely praised in early reviews.

Plan to watch on the projector on the outdoor screen in the backyard. Thankfully the sun is going down earlier (I’m too old for late nights) and no rain in the forecast.

Top Bottom
1 2