House Of The Dragon (HBO, spoilers)

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I am not wild about the recast of Helaena.

young to old children_PT.jpg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am not wild about the recast of Helaena.

View attachment 18233

Those are recast pictures? Jesus, I’m so unattached to most of the characters that I couldn’t tell you who is supposed to be who or was a recast. You have a pile of platinum blonde white people, brunette white people, and black people with silver dreads/cornrolls. The offspring clusters of the queen and princess are largely who gives a fuck. All easily interchangeable and forgettable regardless of who the actors are. I’m more intrigued by the actors they didn’t recast and why.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Aemond appears to have transformed into Crispin Glover ...

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, what's the over and under on Viserys biting it tonight?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think he's been mostly dead for a couple episodes, as Miracle Max would say.

Hahaha, I know, right? I keep expecting a time jump where Rhaenyra and Alicent are old and gray, and Viserys is still alive but just a pile of goop living in a bucket ...

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I think he's been mostly dead for a couple episodes, as Miracle Max would say.
There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

What’s that?

Go through his family tree and look forward to a war of succession.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This moment was everything.

View attachment 18304

OK, yeah, that was a very solid EP, and Paddy Considine holy hell, he was amazing.

The scene above? I just read that wasn't scripted, like the crown fell off during the shot, and Matt Smith picked it up and kind of just kept shooting. A couple of people pointed out how it was sort of awkward, like almost too real, which I think it what made it work so well.

The moment that you’re talking about in Episode 8 was an accident, actually. I was climbing the stairs, and the crown fell off my head. Matt just picked it up. We carried on with the take, I sat on the throne, and he placed it on my head. Afterward, we went to Geeta and said, “Look, that’s the moment.” I’ve done films in the past where stuff like that had happened, these beautiful accidents, and they’ve been ignored or not acknowledged.

I just remember going to Geeta and saying, “Please keep that in. Please, let’s keep that as part of the scene because it’s so poignant.” Thank God Geeta is aware enough to have seen that as a really big moment because it wasn’t on paper. That beautiful moment where Viserys slumps into the chair, and then his brother puts that crown on his head—you don’t need any words for that. It’s done. That’s just a testament to how engrossed we were in this story. And how much we wanted to tell this story, really too.

Full article:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
This was gold:

1665499371958.png

You could project several thoughts onto Daemond’s facial expression (not shown).

“You’re done tonight, kid”

“I know crazy when I see it”

”Someday, I’ll have to kill you”

I laugh whenever I think about it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Matt Smith is so good, and thankfully, provides a few lighter moments in a takes-itself-a-little-too-serious show. Terrific performance in this EP too, when he and Rhaenyra first come in to see Viserys he does some great, subtle work - without saying a word, you know how he feels about his brother / his condition / even how he delivers his ask is different.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, yeah, that was a very solid EP, and Paddy Considine holy hell, he was amazing.

Fully agree. I think it's the first time I felt some kind of genuine emotional connection to a character on the show.

On the subject of nobody to really like on the show, I've kind of grown fond of Deamon. Can't really call him a good guy but I feel he's consistent and the least loathsome in his personal ambitions, but I know some people only find the sappy "reluctant hero" Jon Snow type likable in a series like this.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score

The scene above? I just read that wasn't scripted, like the crown fell off during the shot, and Matt Smith picked it up and kind of just kept shooting. A couple of people pointed out how it was sort of awkward, like almost too real, which I think it what made it work so well.
Yep. This made me love that scene even more. Such amazing actors & chemistry. In fact, one reason Matt Smith took the role was to be able to act with Paddy who he greatly admires. Paddy better be up for an Emmy. He acted the hell out of Viserys.

This scene spoke volumes. I think I've rewatched it around 25 times. Matt Smith says so much with only a sigh. What a moment between these two.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1579297772863647744/

Top Bottom
1 2