House Of The Dragon (HBO, spoilers)

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
That is one perspective/excuse. ;)
Nah. She was being true to who she is. ;)

The Queen seems ultimately to be a decent person
Agree to disagree. Her holier than though attitude towards Rhaenyra when Alicent herself supports psychos like Krispy Kreme and of course, her part in supporting Lary's foot fetish (ewww!) all while presenting herself as a seven star saint.....nope. It definitely does not work for me. šŸ˜œ

That scene between Larys & Alicent. Hard pass.

Larys Alicent foot scene_PT.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That said, I like Rhaenys and from her perspective does she love these usurpers? Maybe, maybe she hopes to sue for peace while kicking the Hightowers out of Kings Landing. However, to weigh the possible cost in human life, if you are convinced these are murderous usurper and know a war is coming, it would make complete sense to have torched them and save yourself and your family a lot of grief.

That's the thing: it wouldn't really save a lot of grief, this is much larger in scope, there are other nobles from these houses, with 1000s of troops, ships, and even their own dragons. It's not really Rhaenys's duty to go against what may actually have been the kings wishes (even if, as the viewer, we're a little more omnipotent). Rhaenys would've been making a pretty bold political move without even knowing Rhaenyra's position on everything and/or how she'd react if some of her kin just got wiped out.

I'd say from a "this is a show" the scene was over-played a bit, because just wiping out the new king was really never an option.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Forgive my laziness here because I really donā€™t want to look up character names, but doesnā€™t the queen and the princess/should be queen now have sons with the same name? And if so, couldnā€™t that lead to confusion about the kingā€™s dying wish?

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Forgive my laziness here because I really donā€™t want to look up character names, but doesnā€™t the queen and the princess/should be queen now have sons with the same name? And if so, couldnā€™t that lead to confusion about the kingā€™s dying wish?
Yes. Both Alicent and Rhaenyra have sons named Aegon. Viserys thought he was speaking to his daughter, Rhaenyra, with his last dying words. He referenced the prophecy of the prince that was promised. He had only shared this prophecy with Rhaenyra. So Alicent had no idea and therefore assumed Viserys was referencing her Aegon.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes. Both Alicent and Rhaenyra have sons named Aegon. Viserys thought he was speaking to his daughter, Rhaenyra, with his last dying words. He referenced the prophecy of the prince that was promised. He had only shared this prophecy with Rhaenyra. So Alicent had no idea and therefore assumed Viserys was referencing her Aegon.

So either Rhaenyra was playing 5D chess when she named her son Aegon or it was the most epic goof in fantasy history.

In order to distract from this I recommend the Hightowers start talking a lot about a border wall. Nothing distracts or animates the peasantry more than border wall talk.

Edd

Itā€™s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
So either Rhaenyra was playing 5D chess when she named her son Aegon or it was the most epic goof in fantasy history.

In order to distract from this I recommend the Hightowers start talking a lot about a border wall. Nothing distracts or animates the peasantry more than border wall talk.
Political games is what likely got the wall built with the Knights Watch in the first place šŸ¤£.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Crazy as it sounds, it was very common to re-use names in Westeros. Same in England. As someone more versed in this history than me recently said "I advise you to never look up English monarchs and royal lines, heh. Williams, Georges and Henrys abound by the dozen. As well as Edwards and Richards."

The ones that get me are twins Arryk and Erryk. šŸ˜µ

Last edited:

Edd

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good episode, I never watch live, but didnā€™t feel like dodging spoilers until my wife comes home from work tomorrow night.

This kid who died (who knows names?), unfortunately didnā€™t have a ton of impact on me, as Iā€™ve known him for 5 minutes. And, they writers obviously know that and made their choices with narrative and pacing. Nice setup for next season.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Good episode, I never watch live, but didnā€™t feel like dodging spoilers until my wife comes home from work tomorrow night.

This kid who died (who knows names?), unfortunately didnā€™t have a ton of impact on me, as Iā€™ve known him for 5 minutes. And, they writers obviously know that and made their choices with narrative and pacing. Nice setup for next season.

Yeah, the other issue is ...

Really? You sent this 14 year old kid, on a tiny dragon, by himself, into territory where there's a [violent] ruler dispute going on? That was a little too far into the "Well, this character has to die so that the Black Queen can go to war" plot device.

Edd

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, the other issue is ...

Really? You sent this 14 year old kid, on a tiny dragon, by himself, into territory where there's a [violent] ruler dispute going on? That was a little too far into the "Well, this character has to die so that the Black Queen can go to war" plot device.
Yeah, no doubt, when they decided on dragonmail vs ravens I thought ā€œNow thatā€™s a shitty planā€, and then you see eyepatch kid and you 100% knew what was going to happen.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, I guess this a spoiler area, so we could go to just regular, visible posts :D

But yeah, when he was walking in to deliver to the message, and lightning flashed and you could see Vhagar in the background, holy shit, that thing is f***ing Godzilla.

Top Bottom
1 2