How A High School Student Won A School Board Seat By Standing Up To Extremists

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
great news.
On one of the biggest nights of his life, Shiva Rajbhandari was at Roots Zero Waste Market. The 18-year-old climate activist from Boise, Idaho, described it as “a super cool local grocery store with an event space.” About 30 of his friends and supporters were there, eating “super good food.”
They were there to find out if Rajbhandari would defeat incumbent Steve Schmidt — a 47-year-old engineer endorsed by local far-right extremist groups — in the race for a seat on the school board. Around 10:30 p.m. Rajbhandari saw a tweet that the election results wouldn’t be announced until well after midnight.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
That’s promising. How long until Boebert or MTG start harassing him?

These are the kind of people we need getting office. Since experience and intelligence are no longer requirements for public office - or at least no longer even pretended to be - I’d rather go with bright and inexperienced than stubborn, dumb as dirt and inexperienced.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
great news.
On one of the biggest nights of his life, Shiva Rajbhandari was at Roots Zero Waste Market. The 18-year-old climate activist from Boise, Idaho, described it as “a super cool local grocery store with an event space.” About 30 of his friends and supporters were there, eating “super good food.”
They were there to find out if Rajbhandari would defeat incumbent Steve Schmidt — a 47-year-old engineer endorsed by local far-right extremist groups — in the race for a seat on the school board. Around 10:30 p.m. Rajbhandari saw a tweet that the election results wouldn’t be announced until well after midnight.

While I admire him for running, it’s a BIG conflict of interest as he’s still in high school. I’m unaware of any boards of education that allow current teachers to run for office, and students?

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Good for him, but after reading the article on the Purging of Idaho GOP with Extremist groups, I have little hope for that state. Jeeze, the inmates are really running the asylum.

Top Bottom
1 2