How can safari use 94 gigs of memory?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
not sure when this started but my system has been getting really slow then this warning would pop up. so safari is really causing serious memory uses.
IMG_0840.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looks like a memory leak, that's where memory gets used (allocated) and then not reallocated/cleaned up, so it just continuously consumes more and more RAM. I guess I'd start by disabling all plugs-ins/extensions and of course, make sure your OS is up to date.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a memory leak, that's where memory gets used (allocated) and then not reallocated/cleaned up, so it just continuously consumes more and more RAM. I guess I'd start by disabling all plugs-ins/extensions and of course, make sure your OS is up to date.
nothing has changed in a year but os updates. same tabs for the most part. but it happens over and over again as I use it. for the most part my system is always slower now.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
nothing has changed in a year but os updates. same tabs for the most part. but it happens over and over again as I use it. for the most part my system is always slower now.
It could be a specific website. Probably some crappy JS that's leaking all over the place.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The leak could be the fault of a poorly written page script. Sites like Raw Story, for example, have brutal coding (and they are far from the worst offender).
that could be most of the time all my tabs are what I always have open. I know I get notices from Facebook about using a lot of resources and also google maps. but they have been up forever.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
that could be most of the time all my tabs are what I always have open. I know I get notices from Facebook about using a lot of resources and also google maps. but they have been up forever.

I'd open on at a time, observe the memory consumption, close, open, etc., Since we're talking web related code, the site can easily change what they're doing and greatly affect your end. There was a site I was occasionally hitting, not particularly media intensive or anything, but it would spike my processor utilization, and actually cause the fans on my Mini to kick into high speed.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd open on at a time, observe the memory consumption, close, open, etc., Since we're talking web related code, the site can easily change what they're doing and greatly affect your end. There was a site I was occasionally hitting, not particularly media intensive or anything, but it would spike my processor utilization, and actually cause the fans on my Mini to kick into high speed.
Yep, I would recommend this. Narrow it down site by site. It's likely some website you visit changed something either visibly or not visible like some under the hood code that is doing something wonky.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
so far its ok so maybe the tabs I coursed. like google maps eve tho9ugh it was not getting used was part of it I think.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I've noticed YouTube is a massive memory hog. When I get low on memory warnings that's usually one of the top offenders...Safari taking up even more memory than my high end music or video software open at the same time.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
looks like it pinned tabs causing the issues from the last big or or second to last update. using firefox no memory issues and my mac runs faster like it used too.

Top Bottom
1 2