How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

U

User.45

We had a zoom meeting with our local community leaders, and one proposal came up, that churches could be serving as vaccination sites. Large enough space, the people can feel like this is a sort of community activity and churches tend to have transportation resources/infrastructure too. As the application in my state very much computer based, such efforts could help mitigate the disparities caused by lack of access to emails/smart phones/internet.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
We had a zoom meeting with our local community leaders, and one proposal came up, that churches could be serving as vaccination sites. Large enough space, the people can feel like this is a sort of community activity and churches tend to have transportation resources/infrastructure too. As the application in my state very much computer based, such efforts could help mitigate the disparities caused by lack of access to emails/smart phones/internet.
Provided it's in their community centers / sunday school halls type of places I can see it. Such places are already used for free mobile testing, but I'd avoid the church space itself for a variety of reasons.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I mentioned elsewhere that my mom got her second Covid shot (and is having very few side effects, thank you!). What I didn't mention is that they are being creative around here with vaccination sites. Hers were done at a large, open, building out in the country. I mean, you could use it as a small airplane hangar. Perfect.

I also didn't mention that when I took my mom there, we were stopped at the parking lot entrance by a sheriff's deputy who had a list of who was supposed to be there. I really liked that they were screening for line-jumpers.

They also thought of everything else. We were early, so were asked to wait in the car until her exact appointment time. They had volunteers to direct everyone from one table to the next, and then to the seating area where you waited for 15 minutes in case of a bad reaction. They even had four or five places where they stationed 55 gallon drums of hand sanitizer...with a small push-down squirt top, like a bottle of lotion. I can't tell you how funny that looks.

They even sent her on her way with a free box of surgical type masks. Kudos to them for the whole thing.

U

User.45

I mentioned elsewhere that my mom got her second Covid shot (and is having very few side effects, thank you!). What I didn't mention is that they are being creative around here with vaccination sites. Hers were done at a large, open, building out in the country. I mean, you could use it as a small airplane hangar. Perfect.

I also didn't mention that when I took my mom there, we were stopped at the parking lot entrance by a sheriff's deputy who had a list of who was supposed to be there. I really liked that they were screening for line-jumpers.

They also thought of everything else. We were early, so were asked to wait in the car until her exact appointment time. They had volunteers to direct everyone from one table to the next, and then to the seating area where you waited for 15 minutes in case of a bad reaction. They even had four or five places where they stationed 55 gallon drums of hand sanitizer...with a small push-down squirt top, like a bottle of lotion. I can't tell you how funny that looks.

They even sent her on her way with a free box of surgical type masks. Kudos to them for the whole thing.
Neat! My wife and I work in the same hospital system. She got her first shot in a sister hospital and I got it in the basement of the main one. It was night and day. Mine was super organized and smooth flowing I was out in 20 min; hers took like 2 hours and was chaos. They cleaned up their act for the second, but it shows it takes a little trial and error. The Sheriff deputy was likely there based on precedent...

U

User.45

This reminds me, I was shown the Flu and RSV (another respiratory bug) stats for this year.
Our current infection control protocols essentially eradicated these. The differences compared to any previous years' are so striking you don't even need a statistical analysis to tell this is not a product of chance. This also tells you how much more infectious COVID is than the other bugs. This is also the anniversary of the lies about the Flu being worse.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
They’ve got the logistics down perfectly here, just not enough vaccine. When I took my husband for his first jab (second one is this week), we drove through a maze of barricades (in the parking lot of the Civic Center) to get to a tent where they checked to make sure you had an appointment. Then through another maze until we actually pulled into the floor of the center where cars were put in lines like families in a Disney ride. Once you got to where you were supposed to be in line they asked you to turn off your engine. Nurses manned each line and nobody got out of their cars at all. It was amazing. After the jab, we pulled into a new line to wait the 15 minutes for observation. We were in and out in less than 40 minutes.

61BB44F2-9667-48B2-84A8-D098E1BAE05A.jpeg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I have been wondering something about the vaccination effort. Yes, we want to be fair. Yes, we want to prioritize at-risk groups. However, the methods for a) identifying those who qualify and b) informing the qualified people and getting them the shots… don’t seem very efficient. I have to wonder if a simple first-come, first-served method would prevent a lot of the problems I have been reading about: rich white people stealing online codes meant for minorities, people without computer knowledge or without a computer not being able to sign up, doses going to waste because nobody showed up, etc.

I know we want to be fair and prioritize this for those who need it most, but it doesn’t look like the methods for doing so are working. Maybe the first-come, first-served would be worse. I just don’t know.

U

User.45

I have been wondering something about the vaccination effort. Yes, we want to be fair. Yes, we want to prioritize at-risk groups. However, the methods for a) identifying those who qualify and b) informing the qualified people and getting them the shots… don’t seem very efficient. I have to wonder if a simple first-come, first-served method would prevent a lot of the problems I have been reading about: rich white people stealing online codes meant for minorities, people without computer knowledge or without a computer not being able to sign up, doses going to waste because nobody showed up, etc.

I know we want to be fair and prioritize this for those who need it most, but it doesn’t look like the methods for doing so are working. Maybe the first-come, first-served would be worse. I just don’t know.
First come first served is a recipe for disaster really. But in my state when you are not in healthcare, getting a shot scheduled literally takes the same approach as you do to scoop up a PS5. We now in the era of vaccine scalping, lol.

A partial first come first serve roll out could work though, like let's say J&J's shots that are easy to store could be given in that fashion. At the end of the day gettin 40% vaccinated with the best vaccines is still going to be significantly worse for everyone, than having 80% vaccinated with any safe vaccine available.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
First come first served is a recipe for disaster really. But in my state when you are not in healthcare, getting a shot scheduled literally takes the same approach as you do to scoop up a PS5. We now in the era of vaccine scalping, lol.

A partial first come first serve roll out could work though, like let's say J&J's shots that are easy to store could be given in that fashion. At the end of the day gettin 40% vaccinated with the best vaccines is still going to be significantly worse for everyone, than having 80% vaccinated with any safe vaccine available.
I seem to recall a doctor from the WHO stating that herd immunity happens at about 70-80% immunity? So it seems to me that getting as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible is the fastest way to stop the virus.

We make it hard for people to vote, they don’t vote. We make it hard to apply for government benefits, people don’t bother. Seems like we‘re making it hard for people to get vaccinated, and they’re just not getting the shots. Hopefully this turns around quickly with a 3rd vaccine available.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I seem to recall a doctor from the WHO stating that herd immunity happens at about 70-80% immunity? So it seems to me that getting as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible is the fastest way to stop the virus.

We make it hard for people to vote, they don’t vote. We make it hard to apply for government benefits, people don’t bother. Seems like we‘re making it hard for people to get vaccinated, and they’re just not getting the shots. Hopefully this turns around quickly with a 3rd vaccine available.
I think as we've seen in the likes of NY & Florida though, the people who are skipping the line would be considered by their own denials the least vulnerable. In our run up to get to a 70 or 80% how much of the most vulnerable would suffer & die first?

The difficulty in signing up is no joke.

My mother is elderly, blind & tech phobic. There is NO way she could have signed up for the vaccine on her own, and even then by the time I did she is waiting until next month I think. I don't qualify until summer I think, and I help take care of her. She's had the virus once that she only found out while going for a test for something else.

U

User.45

I think as we've seen in the likes of NY & Florida though, the people who are skipping the line would be considered by their own denials the least vulnerable. In our run up to get to a 70 or 80% how much of the most vulnerable would suffer & die first?

The difficulty in signing up is no joke.

My mother is elderly, blind & tech phobic. There is NO way she could have signed up for the vaccine on her own, and even then by the time I did she is waiting until next month I think. I don't qualify until summer I think, and I help take care of her. She's had the virus once that she only found out while going for a test for something else.
Yup general estimate is 60-80% depending on modifying factors, like previous exposure/cellular immunity, etc. Fauci pushed the bar higher, like +90% just because new strains may lower the efficacy of the vaccines.

Nursing home deaths are already plummeting where NH residents are vaccinated. You can see maaaajor declines in deaths by targeting the vulnerable... For example if 80% of the deaths come from 20% of the population, vaccinating that 20% quickly can have a highly amplified impact on deaths.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yup general estimate is 60-80% depending on modifying factors, like previous exposure/cellular immunity, etc. Fauci pushed the bar higher, like +90% just because new strains may lower the efficacy of the vaccines.

Nursing home deaths are already plummeting where NH residents are vaccinated. You can see maaaajor declines in deaths by targeting the vulnerable... For example if 80% of the deaths come from 20% of the population, vaccinating that 20% quickly can have a highly amplified impact on deaths.
They should be taking vaccines into nursing homes with no sign-ups needed… which I assume they are? Problem is reaching older folks who stay at home with either family checking in on them occasionally, or meals-on-wheels, etc. I should read more about this. It seems like coordinating with something like meals-on-wheels or any other service that reaches the elderly directly is a good choice. I saw Biden talk about going to black churches to distribute the vaccine. This makes sense - reach people who need it the most where you know they will be already.

A website for signing up? You will definitely get well-off, younger people first.

U

User.45

They should be taking vaccines into nursing homes with no sign-ups needed… which I assume they are? Problem is reaching older folks who stay at home with either family checking in on them occasionally, or meals-on-wheels, etc. I should read more about this. It seems like coordinating with something like meals-on-wheels or any other service that reaches the elderly directly is a good choice. I saw Biden talk about going to black churches to distribute the vaccine. This makes sense - reach people who need it the most where you know they will be already.

A website for signing up? You will definitely get well-off, younger people first.
I know someone in their 70s who got it through their daughter setting up a notification bot when the website changes...:D So yeah, it's clear there are going to be huge tech and generational disparities.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
As I’m working I saw a car with 4 younger hispanic people in it get out with a bunch of cleaning supplies and were let into the house across the street, no masks worn by any of them. Vaccines are still very hard to come by here in CA, the chances they got one are next to nothing. My guess is things will spike again before we're able to get a handle on this because in general people are idiots.

U

User.45

As I’m working I saw a car with 4 younger hispanic people in it get out with a bunch of cleaning supplies and were let into the house across the street, no masks worn by any of them. Vaccines are still very hard to come by here in CA, the chances they got one are next to nothing. My guess is things will spike again before we're able to get a handle on this because in general people are idiots.
I suspect we are ahead of another shitshow. There are countries in europe that face another wave with doubled hospitalization rate relative to the number of cases. Since I think that behavior changes gradually, the best explanation is one of the new variants entering. We are already blunting that with vaccination (less likely but possible), or we'll have a shitty spring too...

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I suspect we are ahead of another shitshow. There are countries in europe that face another wave with doubled hospitalization rate relative to the number of cases. Since I think that behavior changes gradually, the best explanation is one of the new variants entering. We are already blunting that with vaccination (less likely but possible), or we'll have a shitty spring too...
I get that I'm hyper-sensitive about this but at the same time we've been doing all the right things, never going out, always wearing masks, etc. and it feels like a slap in the face by those who put everyone at risk because they can't be troubled to take such basic steps to prevent the spread. We're our own worst enemies.

U

User.45

I get that I'm hyper-sensitive about this but at the same time we've been doing all the right things, never going out, always wearing masks, etc. and it feels like a slap in the face by those who put everyone at risk because they can't be troubled to take such basic steps to prevent the spread. We're our own worst enemies.
Agree, Eric. I think the most telling is that from all the people in my extended family and friends and colleagues, the only 2 got COVID without engaging in risky behavior*, and both of them are nursing home residents. I literally have ZERO person I'm aware who got COVID in my work circle, even though some of them volunteered at COVID units. So yes...precautions really do work.

*One of my best friends from medschool went to a fucking wedding in the middle of an uptick of cases, then they coyly described how they've given infusions to their parents at home when they got it (not in the USA).

Top Bottom
1 2