How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
PBS reported 5,000 people still got COVID after getting vaccinated.

My question is, is that kind of reporting going to cause more people who got the vaccine to be more cautious after getting it or is it going to add more fuel to the people who don’t plan to get vaccinated or were on the fence about getting vaccinated and after news like this now won’t?

Seems like the news enjoys putting out stories about vaccines not being effective or having horrific side effects. I think we also need to bare in mind that a lot of people think they got the whole story from just the headline. They aren’t going to bother reading the near daily articles saying this is only happening with a tiny percentage of people.

I feel this is industrywide irresponsible shit reporting. There’s a huge perception difference between “some” and “a tiny percentage” and even then it seems like they have an extremely low trigger number to turn something into a major story for millions (billions in the national stage?) of people to be worried about.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
PBS reported 5,000 people still got COVID after getting vaccinated.

My question is, is that kind of reporting going to cause more people who got the vaccine to be more cautious after getting it or is it going to add more fuel to the people who don’t plan to get vaccinated or were on the fence about getting vaccinated and after news like this now won’t?

Seems like the news enjoys putting out stories about vaccines not being effective or having horrific side effects. I think we also need to bare in mind that a lot of people think they got the whole story from just the headline. They aren’t going to bother reading the near daily articles saying this is only happening with a tiny percentage of people.

I feel this is industrywide irresponsible shit reporting. There’s a huge perception difference between “some” and “a tiny percentage” and even then it seems like they have an extremely low trigger number to turn something into a major story for millions (billions in the national stage?) of people to be worried about.
You've buried the lead here, which is: that represents just 0.007% of the 84 million Americans with full protection against the virus. When it comes to this virus let's do our best not to mis-represent and spin the facts. This is not even a drop in the bucket and is well within the what the CDC has claimed it to be.

U

User.45

You've buried the lead here, which is: that represents just 0.007% of the 84 million Americans with full protection against the virus. When it comes to this virus let's do our best not to mis-represent and spin the facts. This is not even a drop in the bucket and is well within the what the CDC has claimed it to be.
It's actually an INSANELY good stat:
Despite preferential vaccination of high risk people (!!!!), of COVID hospitalizations went down to 0.0005%!!!!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Did you read the rest of my post? You seem to be agreeing with what I am complaining about.

I can’t find the article but I assure you the title was nothing like “Only 0.007% get COVID after being vaccinated”

In fact I can’t think of 0.007% of anything that deserves it’s own article with alarmist or detractor potential.

Its like when Fox News finds the 0.007% of scientists who are climate change deniers and gives them all the airtime. How is that good reporting?

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
How is that good reporting?

CNN piece:

Yeah, to a headline scanner, "5800" jumps out as a big number. They should probably not be doing that.

But, this vaccine is not perfect. It is like a bulletproof vest: you could still take a hit to the head. It does need to be said, just not inflammatorily.

U

User.45

CNN piece:

Yeah, to a headline scanner, "5800" jumps out as a big number. They should probably not be doing that.

But, this vaccine is not perfect. It is like a bulletproof vest: you could still take a hit to the head. It does need to be said, just not inflammatorily.
It's not the vaccine tho. It's people with really impaired immune systems.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
CNN piece:

And that’s my point. Headlines like that just help the antivaxxers feel confident about their decision, and like I said, there are near daily such poorly titled headlines about the vaccines. It's like journalists are now incapable of wrtitng a headline that isn't disingenuous clickbait no matter what topic.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
CNN piece:

Big numbers are usually misleading. Like when Trump boasted about using the military to deliver 200,000 doses per day. Sounds like a lot, an awesome effort, right? Until one does the math and realizes that it would take thousands of days to vaccinate the US at that rate...

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Did you read the rest of my post? You seem to be agreeing with what I am complaining about.

I can’t find the article but I assure you the title was nothing like “Only 0.007% get COVID after being vaccinated”

In fact I can’t think of 0.007% of anything that deserves it’s own article with alarmist or detractor potential.

Its like when Fox News finds the 0.007% of scientists who are climate change deniers and gives them all the airtime. How is that good reporting?
I did read it, and it was buried. The highlight of your post was clearly the number of breakthroughs when the reality is it's actually negligible in comparison.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's not the vaccine tho. It's people with really impaired immune systems.

You guys are missing the point. You guys keep wanting to venture into the forest while a good percentage of readers aren't going to bother to go past the trees.

"Hey, Dale. Says right here thousands of people are still getting the virus even after getting vaccinated. I told you it was a government scam!"

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I did read it, and it was buried. The highlight of your post was clearly the number of breakthroughs when the reality is it's actually negligible in comparison.
You guys are missing the point. You guys keep wanting to venture into the forest while a good percentage of readers aren't going to bother to go past the trees.

"Hey, Dale. Says right here thousands of people are still getting the virus even after getting vaccinated. I told you it was a government scam!"

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Big numbers are usually misleading. Like when Trump boasted about using the military to deliver 200,000 doses per day.

Well, that's about 199,990 higher than he can count, and yeah, I'm probably giving him TOO much credit ...

U

User.45

There's no saving people who only read headlines.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
There's no saving people who only read headlines.
I would argue that it sets the narrative that the publisher intends, there's a reason the acronym TLDR is one of the most popular today. The amount of media being pushed out each day via social media, news sites, etc. is like drinking from a firehose. it would be ideal if we all read entire articles but it's just not realistic to expect from people, that's why we see a headline with highlighted summaries.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It was stated from the beginning that Moderna with 2 shots was 90% effective. That means 10% ineffective. So yeah, there will still be COVID-19. But if we get 90% of people with a 90% effective vaccine, it will be very hard for it to spread. That’s what herd immunity is all about. Increasing the chance that anybody who comes in contact with a carrier is immune, thereby stopping it from spreading. When enough people are immune, the chances of a carrier interacting with a non-immune person is very low, and that person interacting with other non-immune people even lower... so it becomes nearly impossible for the disease to spread widely.

U

User.45

It was stated from the beginning that Moderna with 2 shots was 90% effective. That means 10% ineffective. So yeah, there will still be COVID-19. But if we get 90% of people with a 90% effective vaccine, it will be very hard for it to spread. That’s what herd immunity is all about. Increasing the chance that anybody who comes in contact with a carrier is immune, thereby stopping it from spreading. When enough people are immune, the chances of a carrier interacting with a non-immune person is very low, and that person interacting with other non-immune people even lower... so it becomes nearly impossible for the disease to spread widely.
What has been annoying me is that there is that 4th dimension. Moderna/Pfizer ~95% effective or the 1st 4 months. We don't know how much that efficacy drops at the 6th or 12th month. I completed my shots before Feb. I'll be in uncharted immunity territory by July.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
What has been annoying me is that there is that 4th dimension. Moderna/Pfizer ~95% effective or the 1st 4 months. We don't know how much that efficacy drops at the 6th or 12th month. I completed my shots before Feb. I'll be in uncharted immunity territory by July.
Yeah that's a big question, hopefully by then the risk will be reduced enough that we won't have to worry so much about catching it. It's surprising how quickly this vaccine came out with us knowing so little about the actual long term effects of the virus but you get why they acted. I'm just thankful they came up with it and that it's so efficacious and hopefully we'll get a booster or annual updates if that's what's needed.

Top Bottom
1 2