How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Melon pan is not only delicious, but one Japanese company also thinks it can make a good mask.

Osaka-based experimental think tank Goku no Kimochi The Labo has created “Mask Pan” or “Mask Bread” after college students from Fukuoka and Okinawa decided they want to sniff the smell of bread all the time. What better way to do that than wearing melon pan on your face?

FNN reports that Goku no Kimochi The Labo roped in famed melon pan specialty shop Melon de Melon to bake the bread. For each Mask Pan, the middle is carved out, making space for the wearer’s mouth and nose. As silly as this might seem (and goodness does it ever), the melon pan’s signature crunchy outside supposedly has a degree of effectiveness.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
So, Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, reamed out anybody on the Linux kernel email list that was making anti-vax statements:

I meant to post this. Epic response. I love when Linus goes off on someone’s stupidity.

Edit: that guy is a real nutter
On 09.06.21 12:37, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> On 28.05.21 16:58, James Bottomley wrote:
>> On Thu, 2021-05-27 at 15:29 +0200, Greg KH wrote:
>>> On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 03:23:03PM +0200, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>>>> On Fri, 30 Apr 2021, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I know we're all really hungry for some in-person meetups and
>>>>> discussions, but at least for LPC, Kernel Summit, and
>>>>> Maintainer's Summit, we're going to have to wait for another
>>>>> year,
>>>>
>>>> Well now that we are vaccinated: Can we still change it?
>>>>
>>>
>>> Speak for yourself, remember that Europe and other parts of the world
>>> are not as "flush" with vaccines as the US currently is :(
>>
>> The rollout is accelerating in Europe. At least in Germany, I know
>> people younger than me are already vaccinated.
>
> And I know people younger than you in Germany personally ( ;) ) that are
> not vaccinated yet and might not even get the first shot before
> September, not even dreaming about a second one + waiting until the
> vaccine is fully in effect.
And I know *a lot* of people who will never take part in this generic
human experiment that basically creates a new humanoid race (people
who generate and exhaust the toxic spike proteine, whose gene sequence
doesn't look quote natural). I'm one of them, as my whole family.

> So yes, sure, nobody can stop people that think the pandemic is over
> ("we are vaccinated") from meeting in person.
Pandemic ? Did anybody look at the actual scientific data instead of
just watching corporate tv ? #faucigate
WTF?

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
The one thing I'd like to share with the new crop of anti vaxxers

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1404151397529145344/

Why is the "stickiness" stronger in the evening? Possibly because you've been sweating during the day if NOT all day, as opposed to early in the morning when you get up.

I think the new marketing try for the vaccine should be, "well, it can't make you anymore stupid".

U

User.45

Neither are MacRumors users.

My brain hurts from all the stupid regarding covid-19, masks, and vaccination. I should just log out…
Like this? :D (from last year)

Sedulous said:
I wish/hope you were right. Unfortunately a vaccine cannot give more immunity than an actual infection. If the post-recovery immunity window is limited to two weeks (as latest studies claim), then a vaccine will only give the same or less.
I found this impressive as everything is wrong in this statement.
-IgG (mature) antibodies tend to have a 23 day half-life so obviously this is wrong theoretically
-A vaccine can easily give more immunity than the actual infection,
(and just to prove it, here, orange are the ones who were exposed to COVID in the past. Blue are those who had no prior exposure. Antibody levels after one dose are higher than the highest levels in previously infected.)
1623764879250.png

When I pointed this out to him, he advised me to read an immunology textbook, and claimed he's now not only teaching "medicine" at Oxford and Harvard, but PRSI too.

Crazy, but hilarious too.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I know some people who are still vaccine-hesitant who aren’t part of the Trump brigade or righteous ignorants. I try to sympathize but at some point they need to realize they are ruining it for everybody else. They say they are waiting for more information but that is extremely disingenuous at this point. What they are actually doing is latching onto any alarmist news or disinformation campaign that says the vaccines aren’t 100% effective with zero side effects. Meanwhile we’re probably exposed to a thousand different things and scenarios daily that some people are going to die from at a much higher rate than covid or the vaccine.

U

User.45

I know some people who are still vaccine-hesitant who aren’t part of the Trump brigade or righteous ignorants. I try to sympathize but at some point they need to realize they are ruining it for everybody else. They say they are waiting for more information but that is extremely disingenuous at this point. What they are actually doing is latching onto any alarmist news or disinformation campaign that says the vaccines aren’t 100% effective with zero side effects. Meanwhile we’re probably exposed to a thousand different things and scenarios daily that some people are going to die from at a much higher rate than covid or the vaccine.
But you'll never convince these people. People who are risk averse, but understand probabilities already get that just driving to work for a week is many times more likely to kill you than getting the vaccine. Even for people younger than 40, the risk of dying from COVID is about the risk of dying from a car crash over 1.5 years. It's just funny that one of these risks is totally OK but the other one is not:D

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
But you'll never convince these people. People who are risk averse, but understand probabilities already get that just driving to work for a week is many times more likely to kill you than getting the vaccine. Even for people younger than 40, the risk of dying from COVID is about the risk of dying from a car crash over 1.5 years. It's just funny that one of these risks is totally OK but the other one is not:D

These people will never be done waiting for more information. They’ll forever be gathering anecdotal stories with minuscule probabilities of it happening to them or based on complete horse shit. They probably even read or hear clickbait like “Vaccine is ineffective for people with this condition”, not even bother to find out what that condition is or if it applies to them, but still add that little nugget of vague information to their mental filing cabinet of excuses to not get vaccinated.

U

User.45

These people will never be done waiting for more information. They’ll forever be gathering anecdotal stories with minuscule probabilities of it happening to them or based on complete horse shit. They probably even read or hear clickbait like “Vaccine is ineffective for people with this condition”, not even bother to find out what that condition is or if it applies to them, but still add that little nugget of vague information to their mental filing cabinet of excuses to not get vaccinated.
And this is why these people tend to be total losers. On the scale of thousands of decisions you need to understand risks/benefits to keep things net positive for yourself.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
"I'll wait for full FDA approval!"
"FDA approval was rushed! Still waiting!"
😒

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
And this is why these people tend to be total losers. On the scale of thousands of decisions you need to understand risks/benefits to keep things net positive for yourself.

Most of these people are nothing more than contrarians who treat facts and science like their favorite underground band. The more popular the band becomes the less they like them. So they have to run out and find another little-known underground band/opinion so they can feel special.

Top Bottom
1 2