How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got lucky. My second Moderna jab was a breeze compared to the first one. But maybe it's b/c I had the monoclonal antibodies infusion in January and my body was more used to everything. At least that's my non medically educated guess.

But yes, I too am hoping the 3rd jab isn't bad. As it is, I abhor needles.
I got super lucky and didn’t have any side effects from either dose.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Also no side effects. Not even a sore arm. #TeamPfizer. I was thinking of taking a run to the health department today to get my 3rd jab. They have the Pfizer and haven’t been worried about appointments for a long time.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Wish I could have said the same.

It literally gave me what felt like the flu. I was fine the first day, then the next was bed ridden for a day & half, sore arm, and got the swelling in the armpit that shows it's working.

My second shot, I was just out of it for 12 hours.

Still beats being in the hospital.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
A few facts about "boosters" for the SARS-CoV-2 vaccines:
  1. Additional shots that are recommended for people with immune compromise are technically third doses that attempt to bring their immune defenses to an acceptable level. The definition of immune compromise is fairly lax in terms of the conditions that qualify, and the most that an individual might have to do when they present is attest that they're eligible. Nobody will check.
  2. Additional shots for everyone else haven't yet been formally recommended. They're called boosters because they add to what was already presumed to be an adequate immune response.
  3. The timing is different. The shots for immune compromised people can be given as little as 29 days after the 2nd dose of an mRNA vaccine. The boosters will be given somewhere around 8 months later, which will initially apply to people like HCWs who were vaccinated in December-January 2020.
  4. Whether boosters are needed will be discussed by the ACIP (Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices) on August 30-31. (That meeting was already delayed one week.) Based on data from Israel and other places, I'll be surprised if they don't recommend boosters.
  5. Many people will probably be tempted to get boosters sooner than whatever ACIP recommends. As with other third shots, it probably won't be difficult for people to do this. However, timing is important. While there probably isn't any harm in getting a booster before the recommended interval, the immune boost conferred by the shot may be shorter that way.
  6. Whether boosters tailored for Delta or other variants will be needed is an open question. Testing is underway, but there is no consensus on the requirement or timing for rollout yet. The good thing is that the underlying technology will enable quick reformulation.
  7. Finally, people understandably wonder how all this applies to them. What if their protection from infection or severe disease is waning sooner than for the people? Unfortunately, there's no effective way to determine this, and recommended dosage and timing are based at the population level, which is the only practical method.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wish I could have said the same.

It literally gave me what felt like the flu. I was fine the first day, then the next was bed ridden for a day & half, sore arm, and got the swelling in the armpit that shows it's working.

My second shot, I was just out of it for 12 hours.

Still beats being in the hospital.
Same for the most part, mild symptoms for the first one and the second one pretty much laid me out for a day but quickly resolved after that. It will be interesting to hear the results of the booster for those of us more impacted by the seconded shot.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I did well. The arm was more sore after the first one. I felt crappier after the second. But not to the point of taking the day off or anything (I have PLENTY of time saved up). So I guess that's pretty mild.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I’m already hearing stories of military members that were hesitant about the vaccine going to get their first jabs today, even though a deadline for compliance hasn’t been announced yet. This is great news and will save lives and improve military readiness.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Just a feeling actually. Like him refusing to use the term "radical Islamic terrorist" or continually referring to ISIS as ISIL when even the liberal media used those terms.
Do you think Trump is a “Muslim sympathizer” based on his insistence on saying “ISIS-X“ instead of ISIS?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
If you're a sci fi nerd, roll like this...

E9wodzbWYAgChkI

For those not getting the reference...
c8835d9a6b302eeeb8b5c6aa7c118dc2.gif

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
People are taking out their frustrations about COVID-19 on flight attendants.

It is disgusting that we have public figures putting out anti-mask and anti-vaccine propaganda. They are riling people up, and those people are deciding to vent that anger towards people that have literally nothing to do with health policy. I blame the leaders AND followers of the anti-vax and anti-mask movements for this unacceptable behavior. Incredible contrast here:

Sara Nelson, president of the Association of Flight Attendants union that represents nearly 50,000 flight attendants at 17 airlines, noted that the difference in passenger response to the pandemic compared with the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks has been “night and day.”

Twenty years ago, “every single person who came on our plane was completely on our team,” she said. But now, flight attendants have become “punching bags for the public.”

IMO, if Trump had done the right thing and tried to bring people together to fight the pandemic, you would see very little of this. Again, I blame him, but I also blame his followers who seem to have nasty tendencies already. Right-wing leaders seem to make it acceptable to behave badly, and these people JUMP at the opportunity to do so.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I got an email this morning saying that we're required to be vaccinated or have a medical or religious exemption by October 18th if we wish to keep working. It also gives us the last day to get our first Moderna/Pfizer shots to hit that deadline. And when we'd need our second dose to hit that deadline.

They're saying it's an Oregon mandate (probably because I work in healthcare).

Anyone who misses that deadline will be welcome to come back as soon as they're fully vaccinated or have their religious/medical exemption.

Fortunately it doesn't apply to me as I've been fully vaccinated since the beginning of February.

Top Bottom
1 2