How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. I went with the "whine like a little girl" approach and haven't had any issues. 🤷‍♂️
Depending on your own physical regimen, lengthy "girly" whining maybe considered "a light to moderate exercise".

thats-right-thats-correct.gif

U

User.45

45 minutes were insufficient... 90 minutes at a HR of 120-140. So that's like a 6-mile walk for me. Good luck applying this in real life.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed that we've seen our last major variant, if they get Omicron dialed in and included with the flu shot that would be great.
I'm not going to pretend that I can predict what will happen — people with considerably greater expertise than I have been wrong many times. But I'll point out that the last two major variants of concern, Delta and Omicron, were declared on May 11 and November 26, 2021, respectively, and each new VOC has exhibited more immune evasion from prior infection or vaccination. As well, the newer VOCs don't seem to be evolving directly from prior ones, and most of the world remains unvaccinated. I think the best hope is effective antivirals, so I support the test-to-treat plan outlined in Biden's SOTU speech. The challenge will be to manufacture enough medication and get it to the people who need it, along with accurate rapid testing.

The situation may seem good in the U.S., but look at what's happening in places like South Korea, which is experiencing a major surge, despite a high vaccination rate.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you won't be happy about this, but I probably won't be either (I doubt they will remove the mandate for planes):

I'm sure it's your self created belief that others who've never said otherwise, won't be happy about easing mask mandates.

The truth on the other hand would be wildly different.

I'm pretty everyone would like a return to "normal" IF it can be safely done. Also for many whether anyone likes it or not, "normal" has changed for quite a few of us.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I'm sure it's your self created belief that others who've never said otherwise, won't be happy about easing mask mandates.

Well, in the posts right after that there are those who said they will keep wearing them.

My point wasn't that people love wearing them and will be disappointed that they are no longer required (hence giving them a reason), but that they don't necessarily believe that we are that point in the pandemic to be ditching safety measures.

U

User.45

Well, in the posts right after that there are those who said they will keep wearing them.

My point wasn't that people love wearing them and will be disappointed that they are no longer required (hence giving them a reason), but that they don't necessarily believe that we are that point in the pandemic to be ditching safety measures.
There are still 40K people hospitalized for COVID, 7,500 in ICUs so it's not unreasonable for people to want to be gradual.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

So other than masks, what safety measures would you recommend?

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
From across the pond…

UK stats:
Fully vaccinated 73%
Boosted 57%

So here in England (I think in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as well) we're pretty much back to "normal".
No mask mandate in place.

Walking around town, going in to shops and eateries, no masks in sight.
Here and there a few people are wearing them while outside.

It does feel odd and often I feel kind of naked maskless — I still have a mask in every jacket or coat pocket — an unopened packet in my desk drawer and a stack in the car.
Breathing freely does feel great though, however, should someone ask me to wear one in their establishment, I will have no problem in doing so.

Testing is now strictly on a need to know basis, new infections are no longer reported. So what the actual situation is I dunno.
Across the border, Covid infection levels are rising in Scotland… no one has an explanation why that should be.

While Covid has not gone, I think right now it occupies fewer people's minds. Putin has seen to that.

In old newspaper parlance, Covid news is now decidedly "Below the fold".

We shall see.

Last edited:
U

User.45

From across the pond…

UK stats:
Fully vaccinated 73%
Boosted 57%

So here in England (I think in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as well) we're pretty much back to "normal".
No mask mandate in place.

Walking around town, going in to shops and eateries, no masks in sight.
Here and there a few people are wearing them while outside.

It does feel odd and often I feel kind of naked maskless — I still have a mask in every jacket or coat pocket — an unopened packet in my desk drawer and a stack in the car.
Breathing freely does feel great though, however, should someone ask me to wear one in their establishment, I will have no problem in doing so.

Testing is now strictly on a need to know basis, new infections are no longer reported. So what the actual situation is I dunno.
Across the border, Covid infection levels are rising in Scotland… no one has an explanation why that should be.

While Covid has not gone, I think right now it occupies fewer people's minds. Putin has seen to that.

In old newspaper parlance, Covid news is now decidedly "Below the fold".

We shall see.
It's definitely not over yet. I'll say that we took the kids to the Zoo today and I was pleasantly surprised. Nobody was wearing masks outside, but the moment we entered an area inside a building mask wearing turned to 100%. Not a single person w/o a mask. Then we all took it off outside.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

Yes, those are individuals who are making a choice for themselves. Just as has been done in Asia for years, people wear masks out of courtesy & safety for others, in case they maybe sick & risk others.

Your point was NOT made clear in that post. Especially in the context of your past sentiments here & in MR that there is seemingly a mythical cabal of individuals who want people wearing masks forever possibly for some reason. As it has been stated here & there, mask use has been done with the consideration of the safety of everyone. I

It's fair to question if we are far enough, because we still have people throwing tantrums and making convoys over mandates made for safety of all. The same people who maybe more likely to die if they are indeed unvaccinated & prefer their feelings over fact. Those people are also making a choice for themselves. Unlike those willing to wear a mask when asked though, those individuals do still pose a risk to others.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yes, those are individuals who are making a choice for themselves. Just as has been done in Asia for years, people wear masks out of courtesy & safety for others, in case they maybe sick & risk others.

Your point was NOT made clear in that post. Especially in the context of your past sentiments here & in MR that there is seemingly a mythical cabal of individuals who want people wearing masks forever possibly for some reason. As it has been stated here & there, mask use has been done with the consideration of the safety of everyone. I

It's fair to question if we are far enough, because we still have people throwing tantrums and making convoys over mandates made for safety of all. The same people who maybe more likely to die if they are indeed unvaccinated & prefer their feelings over fact. Those people are also making a choice for themselves. Unlike those willing to wear a mask when asked though, those individuals do still pose a risk to others.
What happened to the days of people caring about “the common good?”

Most people, if they visit somebody’s house and are asked to take off their shoes, will do so. If they are asked to put their drink on a coaster, they will also do so. But for some reason, putting on a mask to protect others’ health is a bridge too far?

Have people in general become far more selfish, or is this an affliction peculiar to the 21st century Republican Party? It’s no longer about being a good person or doing the right thing. It’s about “MY FREEDOM” regardless of how it affects anybody else.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I know things are finally loosening up and that's great. I had someone today bugging me about wearing a mask (we drop our mandates tomorrow I think). I basically told him that's great, but I'm choosing to keep wearing mine for now.

But just to keep things in perspective, we're having a virtual memorial today for someone at work who passed away Monday from Covid. Just because the masks are going away doesn't mean the virus is going away.

Top Bottom
1 2