How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I like the last two entries, that say "It just might work, but then again, it might not."

There was an additional item ...

FDA communications director: "This bit about very rare cases of turning people into a drooling, flesh eating mutants, can we maybe leave that one off?"

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
100% this. It's a minor inconvenience that pretty much guarantees you won't die from it, this is a no brainer for me. It will be my 5th shot and I'll be first in line for it.
Don't get me wrong. As most people here probably know, I'm very much pro-vaccination for COVID-19 and pretty much everything else for which a vaccine is available. I've convinced a number of hesitant people to get vaccinated or boosted over the course of the pandemic, and I've had four shots of the Pfizer mRNA formulation.

My point is that the subject of whether and when to accept a booster is more nuanced than most people are aware, as it is subject to a variety of considerations, particularly timing. I'll almost certainly get the bivalent vaccine soon after it's available, but I'm going to stay on top of the literature while waiting. I'm especially interested in how original antigenic sin, in which prior immunity influences the response to subsequent exposure and/or vaccine response, will play into it all.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Don't get me wrong. As most people here probably know, I'm very much pro-vaccination for COVID-19 and pretty much everything else for which a vaccine is available. I've convinced a number of hesitant people to get vaccinated or boosted over the course of the pandemic, and I've had four shots of the Pfizer mRNA formulation.

My point is that the subject of whether and when to accept a booster is more nuanced than most people are aware, as it is subject to a variety of considerations, particularly timing. I'll almost certainly get the bivalent vaccine soon after it's available, but I'm going to stay on top of the literature while waiting. I'm especially interested in how original antigenic sin, in which prior immunity influences the response to subsequent exposure and/or vaccine response, will play into it all.
Fair enough, my wife is going on a trip and she's hoping to get the latest vaccine before but we're not sure it'll be out in time and if it is it will still take a couple of weeks to become effective. Seems like 6 months is the threshold when it starts to wane.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
400 people die every day in the U.S. from BA.5 or BA.4. From what I hear, none of those who died were fully vaccinated and boosted. Why be one of those 400 people when you can get a shot every now and again and prevent it?
Yep, the vast majority of the unvaccinated are the sheeple following President Pumpkinhead. We have echoing demographics up here.

The point is, for those that have had 3 or 4 shots already, the benefit of the fall booster with the Omicron protection (which will NOT be effective against BA.5 or any of its offspring) is marginal (if any). Especially as the vast majority of us have likely already had Omicron so have natural immunity.

Given the dubious merits of this additional booster, I don't begrudge those that had an adverse reaction to their last booster from partaking in this one.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep, the vast majority of the unvaccinated are the sheeple following President Pumpkinhead. We have echoing demographics up here.

The point is, for those that have had 3 or 4 shots already, the benefit of the fall booster with the Omicron protection (which will NOT be effective against BA.5 or any of its offspring) is marginal (if any). Especially as the vast majority of us have likely already had Omicron so have natural immunity.

Given the dubious merits of this additional booster, I don't begrudge those that had an adverse reaction to their last booster from partaking in this one.
No, Pfizer just asked for approval of its BA,4/5 vaccine, and that is supposedly what the next booster will be.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

No, Pfizer just asked for approval of its BA,4/5 vaccine, and that is supposedly what the next booster will be.
Exactly, this new one will specifically cover BA, 4/5

Pfizer and BioNTech said they have submitted pre-clinical data on vaccine efficacy to the FDA, but did not share the data publicly.

The new "bivalent" booster — meaning it's a mix of two versions of the vaccine — will target both the original coronavirus strain and the BA.4 and BA.5 omicron subvariants.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Heh. My original argument stands for those that had adverse reactions to their last booster.

"Pfizer and BioNTech also report that they expect to start a human study on the safety and immunogenicity of the BA4/BA5 bivalent vaccine this month."

So, we have no data on what the side effects could be on humans.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Heh. My original argument stands for those that had adverse reactions to their last booster.

"Pfizer and BioNTech also report that they expect to start a human study on the safety and immunogenicity of the BA4/BA5 bivalent vaccine this month."

All they have issued so far have proven to be safe and effective, with an average of 400 deaths per day I'll go ahead and trust them on this one as well. With these sub variants all they do is add the latest strains, something they do with the flu shot every year.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Sure, but given the similarity to the original mRNA shots, if you were fine with those (and almost everyone was) then you will likely be fine with these.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hearing more and more about the COVID vaccine becoming an annual shot, like the flu vaccine:

Something I've been saying would happen since 2020...

Weird that it's being called a "booster" though. No one calls the flu vaccine a "booster".

The issue is right now the new shot isn’t authorized as a “first“ shot, so you can only get it if you already had the primary shots. So calling it a “booster” makes a certain amount of sense. I’m sure the terminology will change as we transition into a true annual shot.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got my Bivalent (pfizer) booster. I haven't had any kind of reaction to the previous 3 shots other than a sore arm, so I'm hoping for the same again.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got my Bivalent (pfizer) booster. I haven't had any kind of reaction to the previous 3 shots other than a sore arm, so I'm hoping for the same again.

I didn’t even get a sore arm this time. Just a little tired that evening is all. I feel like maybe it was because i got my flu shot two days earlier in the same arm - the flu shot pre-sored my arm :)

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Yesterday I got my Moderna Bivalent booster and so far all is well.....feeling a bit sore in the arm, but that's it. In a week or so I'll go back and get the flu jab, as I didn't want to get
both at the same time. I am definitely looking forward to the time when all we need is to get an annual booster or whatever they want to call it.... This every several months business is getting pretty old!

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Yesterday I got my Moderna Bivalent booster and so far all is well.....feeling a bit sore in the arm, but that's it. In a week or so I'll go back and get the flu jab, as I didn't want to get

I got my bivalent shot yesterday. It seems that with each covid shot I get, the arm pain lessens in severity with each one.

The flu shot, which I got a couple weeks ago, made me very, very groggy though. I considered it worth remarking on, since it's the first time that's ever happened.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I got my bivalent shot yesterday. It seems that with each covid shot I get, the arm pain lessens in severity with each one.

The flu shot, which I got a couple weeks ago, made me very, very groggy though. I considered it worth remarking on, since it's the first time that's ever happened.
Pretty much my experience with both, very little from the latest COVID booster but felt hot all day with the flu shot.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Ummm.... Is this something we should be doing?

Try reports from a conservative leaning source that is a little less inflammatory.

“First, this research is not gain-of-function research, meaning it did not amplify the Washington state SARS-COV-2 virus strain (original virus from 2020) or make it more dangerous,” BU said in a statement following online reports that the university called “false and inaccurate.”

“In fact, this research made the virus replicate less dangerous,” the university added.

This study provides important insights into omicron’s ability to cause disease, according to the researchers.

“Consistent with studies published by others, this work shows that it is not the spike protein that drives Omicron pathogenicity, but instead other viral proteins,” said lead study author Mohsan Saeed.

“Determination of those proteins will lead to better diagnostics and disease management strategies,” Saeed said.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Try reports from a conservative leaning source that is a little less inflammatory.

I used to think "Reading is fundamental". Now, I've changed it to "Reading is critical, but understanding is fundamental". It just seems like it doesn't do any good to read all the good words, but not understand what they say or mean.

"Well regulated militia" - nope no clue. "shall not infringe": Mah GUNS!

Someone has the bestest, goodest, but not understoodest words.

Top Bottom
1 2