How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

U

User.45

1.3 million active duty members of the U.S. military. Only 777 hospitalized cases of COVID. Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, Sailors all following orders: socially distancing, wearing masks, quarantining if any contact with an infected person is suspected, etc.

All it takes: following doctors’ recommendations and being disciplined about it.

I don't disagree with that but being active duty military = they are not obese, they have good lung health and young. So number of hospitalizations isn't the best measure for this group.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't disagree with that but being active duty military = they are not obese, they have good lung health and young. So number of hospitalizations isn't the best measure for this group.
You should have seen some of the guys in my unit. LOL! Active duty often comes into being from National Guardsmen, who are not known for their stellar physiques. Even funnier, we had a guy who was a police officer - he couldn’t have waddled a mile, never mind run it!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I didn’t see the actual infection numbers, but I know they have been very strict and the article shows all the measures they are taking, such as isolating training platoons so if one platoon gets it, no other platoons will. If the general population followed the same protocols, we would probably have FAR fewer infections and deaths. These are soldiers living in tight quarters and they are figuring it out.

Civilians, on the other hand:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1329071052324970496/

U

User.45

You should have seen some of the guys in my unit. LOL! Active duty often comes into being from National Guardsmen, who are not known for their stellar physiques. Even funnier, we had a guy who was a police officer - he couldn’t have waddled a mile, never mind run it!
Army physical aptitude tests are not very tough but they are sufficient to filter people in poor health.

I think some officers shoot people because they don't like to run...

U

User.45

I didn’t see the actual infection numbers, but I know they have been very strict and the article shows all the measures they are taking, such as isolating training platoons so if one platoon gets it, no other platoons will. If the general population followed the same protocols, we would probably have FAR fewer infections and deaths. These are soldiers living in tight quarters and they are figuring it out.

Civilians, on the other hand:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1329071052324970496/
Sadly this cartoon is a really really really good summary of the issues. These guys act like small children but expect to be treated as adults.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Had instacart deliver today and the driver knocked on the door with no mask. I get he's outside but this is a real problem for me because it's an enclosed area with no real airflow, is this overreacting?

U

User.45

Had instacart deliver today and the driver knocked on the door with no mask. I get he's outside but this is a real problem for me because it's an enclosed area with no real airflow, is this overreacting?
Legit concern.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Legit concern.
I put a box fan at the doorway and let it blow for a while before bringing the groceries in and wiping them down. The last guy wore a mask all the way and I made sure the tip and review reflected that.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
That is my new go-to cartoon to display how I feel about diehard Trumpers. I’m sorry, but they are the most entitled people on Earth. We’re supposed to understand them, when all they’ve done the past four years is diss us? Screw that. They’re the ones who are royally messed up and while I welcome a dialogue I will not cater to their fantasies, conspiracy theories and make-the-libs-cry mentality.

Thanks for the cartoon. I’m gonna share that one.

No.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Army physical aptitude tests are not very tough but they are sufficient to filter people in poor health.

I think some officers shoot people because they don't like to run...

Hah, might could be.

Me, running up to cop on upper upper west side in the 60s: Officer they took my bags they're running over towards the C train!

Officer, twirling baton: Calm down now miss, can you describe them?

Me: C'mon man they're three little kids hauling a shopping bag with flowers on it and a big cream colored handbag!

Officer, twirling baton: Hope you didn't have your housekeys in that bag, they must be almost to Central Park West by now,

U

User.45

Hah, might could be.

Me, running up to cop on upper upper west side in the 60s: Officer they took my bags they're running over towards the C train!

Officer, twirling baton: Calm down now miss, can you describe them?

Me: C'mon man they're three little kids hauling a shopping bag with flowers on it and a big cream colored handbag!

Officer, twirling baton: Hope you didn't have your housekeys in that bag, they must be almost to Central Park West by now,
This reminded me of that one time in med school when I caught a guy with a purse while waiting for my ENT seminar to start in front of the hospital. He darted past me and another guy was chasing him down the street, I caught him in a 100 yard sprint (no weapons anticipated). I returned the bag and proceeded with this uninspiring class. It was really absurd.
Those were the days. I can still do 100 yards ≤12 sec, but my joints hurt for weeks if I do it...

I can tell, crime is so much more chill when you deal with it in a country without weapons. And this loops us back, I feel for police in America. Tough tough job. Yet a police badge shouldn't be the equivalent of a license to kill, which it is right now.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I can tell, crime is so much more chill when you deal with it in a country without weapons.

This. I'd never chase after street criminals nowadays the way I did once back in the 90s just to see for sure where they were going so I could report it. Not every wannabe purse snatcher is carrying a gun in NYC ripoffs but the odds are much higher now.

And so yes, it's much much harder to be a cop in the streets now. Or anywhere in the USA really. In the boondocks lots of times it's about alcohol-fueled domestic violence; the danger to responders is about guns in the house and an already volatile situation.

U

User.45

And so yes, it's much much harder to be a cop in the streets now. Or anywhere in the USA really. In the boondocks lots of times it's about alcohol-fueled domestic violence; the danger to responders is about guns in the house and an already volatile situation.
And this is key. We need to regulate gun ownership and traffic if we want to make it safer for both cops and civilians.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Legit concern.
Second delivery with no mask, this time we asked that they wear one in the notes. :mad: It's not so bad if we can let things site out there like a package from Amazon but when it's perishables and frozen items we have to retrieve them right away. I'm going to see if there's any way I can just cancel the drivers who refuse so we don't get them again.

U

User.45

Second delivery with no mask, this time we asked that they wear one in the notes. :mad: It's not so bad if we can let things site out there like a package from Amazon but when it's perishables and frozen items we have to retrieve them right away. I'm going to see if there's any way I can just cancel the drivers who refuse so we don't get them again.
Let me understand a little better. So you have a doorway where deliveries go. How big is that space?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Let me understand a little better. So you have a doorway where deliveries go. How big is that space?
Not too big, maybe 10 feet but it's narrow. My concern is that I still have to breathe the same airspace and it's stagnant there unless it's a really windy day. No big deal if I can wait an hour or two but with perishables that's not possible. I get that I'm paranoid due to my condition but this seems like such an easy and basic step for them to take.

U

User.45

Not too big, maybe 10 feet but it's narrow. My concern is that I still have to breathe the same airspace and it's stagnant there unless it's a really windy day. No big deal if I can wait an hour or two but with perishables that's not possible. I get that I'm paranoid due to my condition but this seems like such an easy and basic step for them to take.
Yeah, this is where the airborne/aerosolic spread of SARS-CoV-2 becomes a legit issue. can they drop the groceries curbside?

Top Bottom
1 2