fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
so covid
daily-morning-awesomeness-40-photos-109-16.jpg

U

User.45

With the strain described in South Africa it will be a super time crunch to get those doses in arms. Herd immunity may be around 60-70% for the original strain, but there's a good chance we'll have to hit north of 90% to get that level of coverage for the new variants...And the more time we allow the virus with partial population coverage the more chance and pressure we give it to mutate.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
With the strain described in South Africa it will be a super time crunch to get those doses in arms. Herd immunity may be around 60-70% for the original strain, but there's a good chance we'll have to hit north of 90% to get that level of coverage for the new variants...And the more time we allow the virus with partial population coverage the more chance and pressure we give it to mutate.
yep its crazy race for sure. but so many people wont get it thats going to be a problem

U

User.45

yep its crazy race for sure. but so many people wont get it thats going to be a problem
I know... It's frustrating that my patients (all qualify through chronic health condition) have to seek out the vaccine manually. It should be really automatic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yesterday the Alabama Department of Public Health put out one of their regular statements on the state of vaccinations. SSDD But the comments on the statement were telling. While the majority of people were complaining about themselves or relatives with chronic conditions not being able to get the vaccine, there were plenty who said things like "well, you can have my dose cause I don't need anything for a hoax." I was stunned that there are still people out there who not only believe this, but are wiling to state it in public.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yesterday the Alabama Department of Public Health put out one of their regular statements on the state of vaccinations. SSDD But the comments on the statement were telling. While the majority of people were complaining about themselves or relatives with chronic conditions not being able to get the vaccine, there were plenty who said things like "well, you can have my dose cause I don't need anything for a hoax." I was stunned that there are still people out there who not only believe this, but are wiling to state it in public.
I’m surprised too. Most of the people that said it was a hoax before changed their minds instantly when it was their turn for a vaccine. I didn’t realize there were actual true believers….

U

User.45

I’m surprised too. Most of the people that said it was a hoax before changed their minds instantly when it was their turn for a vaccine. I didn’t realize there were actual true believers….
Facebook effect. In my country of origin, trust in vaccinations was well above 90% pre-COVID (never seen measles in my life...). Facebook bulshittery dropped that to ~60-70%. That said, I didn't worry about this until now because you can still hit 70-75% with exclusion of that probably 10% of crazies. Now, if we need like 90% coverage, it will be a different situation.

U

User.45

For those who like this sort of discourse:

TO THE EDITOR​

Table 1.
nejmc2036242_sa1t1.jpeg

Efficacy of BNT162b2 against Covid-19 According to Analysis Period.
Polack et al. (Dec. 31)1 report a vaccine efficacy of 94.8% against Covid-19 after two doses of the messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine BNT162b2 (Pfizer–BioNTech). The authors also report a vaccine efficacy of 52.4% from after the first dose to before the second dose, but in their calculation, they included data that were collected during the first 2 weeks after the first dose, when immunity would have still been mounting.1We used documents submitted to the Food and Drug Administration2 to derive the vaccine efficacy beginning from 2 weeks after the first dose to before the second dose (Table 1). Even before the second dose, BNT162b2 was highly efficacious, with a vaccine efficacy of 92.6%, a finding similar to the first-dose efficacy of 92.1% reported for the mRNA-1273 vaccine (Moderna).3
With such a highly protective first dose, the benefits derived from a scarce supply of vaccine could be maximized by deferring second doses until all priority group members are offered at least one dose. There may be uncertainty about the duration of protection with a single dose, but the administration of a second dose within 1 month after the first, as recommended, provides little added benefit in the short term, while high-risk persons who could have received a first dose with that vaccine supply are left completely unprotected. Given the current vaccine shortage, postponement of the second dose is a matter of national security that, if ignored, will certainly result in thousands of Covid-19–related hospitalizations and deaths this winter in the United States — hospitalizations and deaths that would have been prevented with a first dose of vaccine.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Are we going to need to start a 'Florida' thread?

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are we going to need to start a 'Florida' thread?
Their governor is a menace to the state.

Meanwhile to the west, AL and MS are playing vaccine games. Older folks and those with health risks in AL are traveling to MS to get vaccinated. At the same time, teachers in MS are coming to AL for their jabs. All because each state is doing its own thing.

While schools in Montgomery are back to distance only due to the number of cases, schools in the next county over are still open for business. A former colleague and her husband are both down with Covid now, thanks to the gift brought by one of her students. She's taking her twins to get tested this weekend cause she thinks they may both have it as well. Then there's her elderly father who lives in a basement apartment...he can no longer come upstairs due to the risk, but he may already have it anyway.

But the numbers are dropping. Gah!

U

User.45

Their governor is a menace to the state.

Meanwhile to the west, AL and MS are playing vaccine games. Older folks and those with health risks in AL are traveling to MS to get vaccinated. At the same time, teachers in MS are coming to AL for their jabs. All because each state is doing its own thing.

While schools in Montgomery are back to distance only due to the number of cases, schools in the next county over are still open for business. A former colleague and her husband are both down with Covid now, thanks to the gift brought by one of her students. She's taking her twins to get tested this weekend cause she thinks they may both have it as well. Then there's her elderly father who lives in a basement apartment...he can no longer come upstairs due to the risk, but he may already have it anyway.

But the numbers are dropping. Gah!
I can't tell you how pissed I am about this. Wanna open schools? Start vaccinating teachers... Since school opening is critical this should be of critical priority...

Top Bottom
1 2