How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

U

User.45

At least half the country is insane and wielding the right to vote while successfully (for now) repressing the vote of sane people. Are you really confident they can be outvoted at this point? Have the deplorables returned to under their rocks or decreased in number? Do you honestly believe "Just stop being insane" is going to change anything? Maybe for the comfort level of this thread, but in the outside world? I can easily see it as "Hush. The adults are speaking." which is both true and kind of hilariously insulting. "My point" ultimately doesn't matter if "the point" of this Covid-19 thread is just to share knowledge and agree with each other. I'm suggesting maybe we try to think about better responding to insane people. I find it kind of disappointing that the traditional party of mental health issues advocacy stops short of indoctrination mental health issues, fuck them. Call back when you've been both human trafficked and told the left is a bunch of lying evil communists. I don't plan to frequently pop in here and drop negativity. I've already made non controversial posts in this thread. I'm not a one note buzzkill pony. I just wanted to share this specific event.

Honestly I don't think this specific moment is a big deal or red check mark. I just brought it up and responded, sometimes at great length, to discuss this specific aspect of covid reporting and how each side has decided to treat it in their narrative. Hey, maybe if I stop sharing it then it isn't actually happening and we won't have to think about it because its icky negative boo.
You are really, really, really missing the context:
1. The CDC director is not a politician.
2. COVID isn't a partisan issue (it shouldn't be)
3. You overestimate the insanity in the RW (hint: you think people like Cruz are insane?)

Did she do the right thing? Yes
Did this do harm to the cause? No.
Did she get more attention? Yes.
Is this action a net positive? Most likely.

My impression here is that you expect the wrong thing, from the wrong person, to cater to those nobody could cater to, for results nobody would realistically expect. You expect some sort of compromise to cater to people who aren't interested in compromises, and you describe her as a "bleeding heart liberal". She's the CDC director. Some RW people dismiss anybody who's qualified for a leadership position as the "elite".

U

User.45

The right has managed to politicize many positions not held by politicians. They are not going to let go of that.
True. And that's a direct Trump effect that during his admin, they truly were politicized. I wish everybody recorded trump's fucking phonecalls from birx to fauci to hahn. It's time to recover from Trump's dump.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you and I do sometimes make light of things. I'm saying if we really care about saving lives, regardless of party, then there should be some serious effort to not providing fox news with sound bytes they can advertise as "Look at this emotional wreck. How can you trust somebody that unstable". From the left that's validly showing some humanity, but it's also preaching to the choir. I'm in no way saying it was an act. Again, from the left I'm sure there's "How dare you ask her to clamp down her viseral reaction. This is real life!" I understand that. Just don't pretend you care about the lives (or deciding votes) of people who don't agree with you or think what works/connects for you does the same for them. Even if you think they are monsters and that is unquestionably true they still have the power to bring a world of hurt to you or your likeminded compatriots in regions you have no say in. White supremacists are equally as confident in their beliefs and actions and if that wasn't resinating then they wouldn't be the top internal threat the FBI claims they are.

But I also acknowledge that I don't think anybody in this thread said "That was the defining moment. Nobody can question it now." I just dropped into this thread to say that may not go over well with some people, the people who will most likely extend the virus and related deaths longer than needs to be.
They were totally cool with John Boehner crying 10 times a day though about nothing. Made him seem sensitive or something.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
You are really, really, really missing the context:
1. The CDC director is not a politician.
2. COVID isn't a partisan issue (it shouldn't be)
3. You overestimate the insanity in the RW (hint: you think people like Cruz are insane?)

Did she do the right thing? Yes
Did this do harm to the cause? No.
Did she get more attention? Yes.
Is this action a net positive? Most likely.

My impression here is that you expect the wrong thing, from the wrong person, to cater to those nobody could cater to, for results nobody would realistically expect. You expect some sort of compromise to cater to people who aren't interested in compromises, and you describe her as a "bleeding heart liberal". She's the CDC director. Some RW people dismiss anybody who's qualified for a leadership position as the "elite".

I don’t disagree with that, except 1. which Alli already pointed out.

It was a relatively small thing I drew a lot of attention to. Sometimes (not all the time) I get a little obsessed with trying to figure out how to win over the unreachable. I’m still not confident we won’t get a Trump 2.0, in either the form of Trump himself or somebody his ideology twin. Some have even suggested his ideology twin will be even more skilled, which isn’t saying much given Trump’s low bar, but .....wait for it....even Hitler knew at one point to dial back his antisemitism until he had complete control.

U

User.45

I don’t disagree with that, except 1. which Alli already pointed out.

It was a relatively small thing I drew a lot of attention to. Sometimes (not all the time) I get a little obsessed with trying to figure out how to win over the unreachable. I’m still not confident we won’t get a Trump 2.0, in either the form of Trump himself or somebody his ideology twin. Some have even suggested his ideology twin will be even more skilled, which isn’t saying much given Trump’s low bar, but .....wait for it....even Hitler knew at one point to dial back his antisemitism until he had complete control.
I generally agree with these concerns, but the CDC is the wrong door. I want the leader to be a ID doc with an epidemiology background and a robust track record of organizing care and policy around these issues. It shouldn't do much with politics. Though...ID docs are the leftest leaning of all physicians. Adding ID training on internal medicine is one of the very few trainings that don't come with a substantial salary increase, it actually comes with a salary drop...

Last edited by a moderator:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
They were totally cool with John Boehner crying 10 times a day though about nothing. Made him seem sensitive or something.

I’m pretty sure history is going to see Trump as a distinct political turning point, but also I don’t know if we can say they were cool with it. Trump supporters are anti establishment which also includes establishment Republicans. There’s a good chance all the Republican representatives who voted to impeach Trump (aside from Romney) will get voted out of office just based on that alone and will get replaced with a Trump worshipper and good luck finding a Republican politician who definitively and publicly condemns Trump. They are there but nowhere near the majority at this point.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
John Boehner crying 10 times a day though about nothing. Made him seem sensitive or something.

Also this made me think of a Boehner impersonator who called into a show shortly after he was out of office and when the interviewer asked what he thought about current politics he said "I don't give a fuck." and when pressed with a followup question he said "Which part of "I don't give a fuck" don't you understand? Was it the "I"? Maybe the "don't"? Perhaps it was the "fuck"?" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It's one my dreams to be in a scenario where I can use that.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The legacy of Trump:

“I just never in a million years ever expected my field of work to become less medical and more political,” said Hailey Bloom, a registered Republican and the public information officer for the health department that covers Natrona County, Wyo., which Mr. Trump won by a wide margin last year.

The health department, Ms. Bloom said, set up a clinic in a former Macy’s at the local mall and was prepared to give 1,500 shots a day, four days a week. But it has never been able to fill all the slots, she said; usually, 300 or 400 people show up.

Ms. Bloom, like many other county officials, said she feared that reaching herd immunity might not be possible in her community. “It’s terrifying to think that this may never end,” she said. “So much hinges on these vaccinations.”
People dying of a disease rather than getting a free vaccine, all to show obeisance to a FORMER president. You truly can fool some of the people all of the time.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
The legacy of Trump:

People dying of a disease rather than getting a free vaccine, all to show obeisance to a FORMER president. You truly can fool some of the people all of the time.

Furthering the irony, stupidity, & pettiness of that former president getting his shots secretly for himself & family.

Demonstrating there are far more suckers in this country than expected, and how much they will double & triple down in being suckered.

At the possible cost of their lives & others.

U

User.45

I see political amnesia setting in... I made the mistake of watching another episode of Bill Maher's show and he brought up DeSantis as an example of a republican who "reads" and handled COVID in nursing homes much better than Cuomo. This got me so pissed I turned it off. Are we now going to praise DeSantis who despite the data showing a spike of new cases, reopened Florida unleashing an avoidable summer wave on his state?! Is this like the new standard of good now?! If anybody read the NY OAG prelim report on NH deaths, the main predictor and thus likely driver of nursing home mortality was extremely severe understaffing. So to compare the states, we need to take population density and pre-COVID staffing differences into consideration, otherwise the comparison is just a political dog and pony show without much meaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom
1 2