Reaction score
drew_barrymore_screaming_donnie_darko_fuck_giphy.gif

awesome.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Great.

Free joints.

At a place you couldn't pay me to go back to again.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Reuters featured Cannabis activists giving away free joints if you show you got a shot. It really baffled me...CBD is an anti-inflammatory that could significant impact on the efficacy of the vaccines... There's some data showing reducing the efficacy of cancer immunotherapy by ~30%. So on one end it seems awesome treating pain and inflammation, but it may be detrimental when inflammation is beneficial for the treatment effect.

They may be unaware that some of the stuff in vaccines is meant to induce a reaction.

Great.

Free joints.

At a place you couldn't pay me to go back to again.

You mean DC?

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes.

I don't have pleasant memories of my times there.

And I didn't even get to participate in an insurrection.

It doesn't seem like you missed much. The dynamic of mobs is kind of weird. Many of them seemed to assume they would be okay simply because they saw others doing the same shit. The museums are decent though.

180417_3703577_Saving_the_Plant_1500x844_1213039171881.jpg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
This article in the Atlantic interviews opposers of the COVID vaccine, and finds the same thing many of us learned from speaking with right-wing devotées about COVID-19.

The coronavirus is a wildly overrated threat. Yes, it’s appropriate and good to protect old and vulnerable people. But I’m not old or vulnerable. If I get it, I’ll be fine. In fact, maybe I have gotten it, and I am fine. I don’t know why I should consider this disease more dangerous than driving a car, a risky thing I do every day without a moment’s worry. Liberals, Democrats, and public-health elites have been so wrong so often, we’d be better off doing the opposite of almost everything they say.
“I’ve lost all faith in the media and public-health officials,” Myles Pindus, a 24-year-old in Brooklyn, said. “It might sound crazy, but I’d rather go to Twitter and check out a few people I trust than take guidance from the CDC, or WHO, or Fauci,”

COVID-19 has an ally in this battle. Human tribalism and stupidity.

U

User.45

This article in the Atlantic interviews opposers of the COVID vaccine, and finds the same thing many of us learned from speaking with right-wing devotées about COVID-19.

COVID-19 has an ally in this battle. Human tribalism and stupidity.
The privilege is just astounding. It largely started with the Zika epidemic. Obama's admin launched its collab in 2016 given a contract to Moderna to develop an mRNA based vaccine against Zika. Now we have tech and clinical trial designs that revolutionized vaccine creation in just a year...Transformation that would have taken decades took a year. It's absolutely amazing. It's only a matter of time that we'll have vaccines against the common cold even. Average Joe's response: nothankyou.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The privilege is just astounding. It largely started with the Zika epidemic. Obama's admin launched its collab in 2016 given a contract to Moderna to develop an mRNA based vaccine against Zika. Now we have tech and clinical trial designs that revolutionized vaccine creation in just a year...Transformation that would have taken decades took a year. It's absolutely amazing. It's only a matter of time that we'll have vaccines against the common cold even. Average Joe's response: nothankyou.
They really think they are better than scientists who studied this their whole lives and actually invented the vaccines. It is truly appalling to me. As a professional musician, I’ve come to expect the idiotic comments about it not being a real job, or that anybody can sing, etc. But to see the same attitude towards the world’s top scientists? Truly incredible.

U

User.45

They really think they are better than scientists who studied this their whole lives and actually invented the vaccines. It is truly appalling to me. As a professional musician, I’ve come to expect the idiotic comments about it not being a real job, or that anybody can sing, etc. But to see the same attitude towards the world’s top scientists? Truly incredible.
I can see why people don't trust scientists. Quite simply put, most just don't know any in person.
Some people think it's a separate class of out-of-touch people, so they prefer connecting with the Twidiot they think they know.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
So, Republicans were perfectly ok with the PPP loans when it came to COVID relief, but they whined about extended unemployment benefits being an unfair government handout? Let’s get real. They are ok with government handouts as long as they are made to people that are already rich:

Yep, this is the type of stuff the PPP was spent on. This guy is in trouble, but we know there’s a very high probability that there are 10 people getting away with this fraud for every one they catch. But sure, spending on unemployment so people can feed their kids or keep their house is an evil big-government handout. Seriously... when will people wise up and stop voting for the Republicans?

PS - Buying a Lamborghini is apparently the favorite thing to do with fraudulently obtained PPP money...

Mr. Qadiri is accused of using that money to go on a spending spree that included buying a Ferrari, a Lamborghini and a Bentley and paying for “lavish vacations,” all of which are prohibited under the Payment Protection Program, prosecutors said.
and
Numerous people have been arrested and charged with misusing pandemic relief funds. Mr. Qadiri is at least the third person to face charges specifying the purchase of a Lamborghini.

In July, a man in Florida who received nearly $4 million was arrested on bank fraud and other charges after buying a blue Lamborghini for $318,497, federal prosecutors said. In August, a man in Texas who received more than $1.6 million from the same federal program was arrested on bank fraud and other charges after buying, among other things, a 2019 Lamborghini Urus, for $233,337.60, prosecutors said.

U

User.45

I've not been following this thread too closely, so I apologise if these have been discussed already, but if you need some "follow the science" type links to help persuade idiots about masks, these are quite handy

"Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus"
http://jasaburningcd.com/core/fileparse ... co-ADA.pdf

"Association of Country-wide Coronavirus Mortality with Demographics, Testing, Lockdowns, and Public Wearing of Masks"
https://www.ajtmh.org/view/journals/tpm ... -p2400.xml

"Effectiveness of Adding a Mask Recommendation to Other Public Health Measures to Prevent SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Danish Mask Wearers"
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10.7326/M20-6817
DANMASK-19 was an absolutely terribly designed study. They overestimated the effect size by many folds, then conducted the study after a lockdown during the summer when the cases were down. So when they didn't reach statistical significance, people like vrDrew on MR drew the conclusion that masks don't work, when in reality, the study was so severely underpowered so it managed to answer none of the questions it was intended to answer. I'm still pissed at the group who did the study, these are clinical trial design 101 level errors. My mentor always says, if you design a trial, you'd better make sure it answers your damn question. Otherwise you'll have wasted everybody's time. At worst you may even piss people off by forcing impractical standards on those who want to adhere to the shoddy evidence you've generated.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User.45

Yup.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1392959997668175881/

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1392952564514238467/

I'm going to trust people who are willing to go online & spout bullshit?

I'll play it safe a little longer thank you, because it doesn't hurt anyone.
Here's what's gonna happen: antivaxxers will perpetuate the pandemic amongst each other, so even though those of us vaccinated protect them as well, they'll be the ones dying, so yes we are going to come back to personal responsibility and if they wanna die, sure, but I don't want to share costs of their medical care.

I'm not that concerned about variants...I mean I am, but we can be the most compliant little scouts here, when India currently is brewing new variants no matter what we do here. Pandemics know no borders, so interventions should not either, so it's a mutual interest to help India fix their outbreak.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
So my main grocery market, Trader Joe's, has dropped the mask requirement for vaccinated people. I'm not so sure about this. So we're on the honor system now? The CDC has said there can be breakthrough Covid infections in vaccinated people.

For now, I will continue wearing my mask to the market.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So my main grocery market, Trader Joe's, has dropped the mask requirement for vaccinated people. I'm not so sure about this. So we're on the honor system now? The CDC has said there can be breakthrough Covid infections in vaccinated people.

For now, I will continue wearing my mask to the market.
^ This. I will be dong the same and just accept that there will be those unmasked and call it good. The doctor they interviewed on ABC News last night was asked about unvaccinated people and she was pretty direct in saying something like they only pose a risk to themselves but vaccinated people are all but safe.

Considering the breakthrough cases are statistically a small drop in the bucket I'm feeling pretty safe about things right now, will just protect myself when I'm in unknown locations. I don't see any of these stores checking unmasked people for proof so we have to be our own best advocates here.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
In the Commonwealth of Virginia our governor today announced that as of 12:01 AM May 15, 2021, the mask mandate is lifted. Vaccinated people will not need to wear them most places. However, people will still need to wear them in certain situations such as visiting someone in a nursing home or hospital and I think also on public transportation. In another surprise, he also said that assuming all goes well that rather than waiting until June 15th to lift all other restrictions he will do that on May 28th, which is also actually the start of the US Memorial Day weekend.

However, stores and businesses do have the prerogative to still require the wearing of masks on their premises, and I imagine that some will continue with this practice. I am definitely intending to continue wearing a mask to the grocery store or to other potentially busy places filled with strangers whose vaccination status I don't know. There are still a lot of people out there who haven't had their jab yet and many who don't intend to do so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2