How divided is the city/town/quaint hamlet where you live?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I live in San Jose at the southern end of Silicon Valley so I can safely say I’m almost entirely surrounded by liberals and progressives. I’ve seen some republicans and Trump supporters but nothing that would be considered an alarming level. What’s it like where you are?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Trump only won 4% of the vote in my city and there were impromptu street parties the night Obama won in 2008.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm going to reference the percentage of presidential votes from the 2016 election in Delaware County (NY).
My mostly rural county.......60-30-10 Trump-Clinton-Other​
My very rural township.......64-31-05 Trump-Clinton-Other​
My rural precinct.................52-38-09 Trump-Clinton-Other​

The bottom line there is the county is red, the township is redder but the precinct encompasses a village and an unincorporated hamlet where some artists, writers and assorted NYC expatriates keep settling, making that precinct lean definitely more towards purple in the past 20 years.

So do we talk politics in my immediate neighborhood? Uh, "not lately".

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I live in Queens, NY (Queens County). HC beat the Mango Turd by 3-to-1. Can't remember the spread in my electoral district, but it was close to the same as Queens County. But we have a lot of immigrants that can't vote that are ardent supporters, and I saw several GOP voters that are Chinese-, Korean-, Indian-American, Latino, and many vocal Russian-Americans. I don't recall any Back GOP voters in the dozen or so elections I worked as a poll worker (three times manning a table where you have to ask for a party ballot during primaries).

My next door neighbors on the left, one of the few (only?) remaining white families on the block, are Republicans and I'm sure they're 45-supporters even though several of them are/were union members (they were very vocal about Republican efforts to call a state constitutional convention that was seen as an attempt to harm union pensions and protections).

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
No thanks. Mom is originally from Boston. I came here from NY. I’m over those NY winters...even as I sit here with no electricity in a southern summer....

Yeah I gotcha... By December 26th I am done with winter. I remember in 2015 the last snow pile from the previous winter melted on July 14th. That was a rough year... then again 2020 just said, "hold my beer."

lizkat

Reaction score
Yeah 2020 winter was one for the books, I only had my driveways plowed ONCE the whole time. Usually it's more like 8, 10, sometimes more than a dozen times.

I prefer winter to a heat wave though. Can always put more clothes on, but in summer when it gets really hot and I'm down to a long t-shirt, well... I start looking forward to the change of seasons.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
My county, congressional district and state were shades of blue. Cross the pass, though, and you get into some hammer-head-red territory. But we do have our share of idiots. The other day, I heard a guy talk about how "antifa" was setting the fires, and I saw a faired HPV roll through a parking lot with a huge Kumquat flag.

We have been in places like Utah and South Dakota and Wyoming, and people are people. I try to treat them decently, and if they try to drag me into bullshit arguments, I just sidestep, deflect, digress. You are not my enemy just because we have a difference of opinion, and we will get along ok if you do not insist on shoving your turds down my throat.

lizkat

Reaction score
Weird but around here in a pretty red piece of a rural but purplish district, 2020 looks like even the right wingers are preferring to keep their assumed preferences off their front lawns. Maybe it's just down to covid-19 and they haven't ventured out to get lawn signs, bumpersticks and flags quite yet. Time will tell. I guess if you're opting for a mail-in ballot and figure your neighbors are too, who needs lawn signs?

All that's on most lawns are the usual signs of autumn: some maple leaves turned red or gold and fallen off trees already, plus some humongous piles of firewood been out there getting seasoned since March and are now getting stacked for winter usage.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
In one week a Trump flag and three Trump signs appeared on my little eight house block.

I tell my wife that we need more black people on our street. It's white people that do that shit.

I imagine it having the same impact and need to social distance yourself as if they put up "Covid-19 positive house" signs. Could you possibly late at night plant "I'm with stupid" signs with an arrow pointing at the Trump sign?

I would be curious to find out what was the trigger that made them decide to become a publically proud Trump supporter. It seems to be like some weird symbiotic relationship where they have a "An attack on Trump is an attack on me!" reflex.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Weird but around here in a pretty red piece of a rural but purplish district, 2020 looks like even the right wingers are preferring to keep their assumed preferences off their front lawns. Maybe it's just down to covid-19 and they haven't ventured out to get lawn signs, bumpersticks and flags quite yet. Time will tell. I guess if you're opting for a mail-in ballot and figure your neighbors are too, who needs lawn signs?

All that's on most lawns are the usual signs of autumn: some maple leaves turned red or gold and fallen off trees already, plus some humongous piles of firewood been out there getting seasoned since March and and now getting stacked for winter usage.

I'm not sure where you live but a few years ago I went with my parents to visit my uncle in Manchester by the Sea (It's not a just a movie title!) specifically to see the autumn leafs. After about 8 hours of driving around looking at them I had more than enough. They did it 2 more days. Also of note, while driving on the coast I couldn't tell you how many times I went "What hotel is that?" only to be told it was some New Yorker's summer home. For the most part, we just don't have that level of excessive extravagance on the west coast, or at least not in plain sight.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I imagine it having the same impact and need to social distance yourself as if they put up "Covid-19 positive house" signs. Could you possibly late at night plant "I'm with stupid" signs with an arrow pointing at the Trump sign?
LOL. I've joked about those being "I'm with Stupid" signs.

Oh, and I forgot...the neighbor on the corner just past our block has started parking his pickup in his front yard with his two giant-ass Trump flags. I'm surrounded by morons.

I looked it up, and in 2016, 60% of my county voted for Trumputin. They didn't have nearly as many flags and signs in that election, though. Hard not to think this portends bad things.

Top Bottom
1 2