How do you consume your news?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

This morning I was looking at Apple News+. It includes The Atlantic, Vanity Fair, but is missing Washington Post, New York Times, and USA Today. My wife has both Washington Post and USA Today individually which we share, , and I’m thinking will be more economical to subscribe back to The Atlantic, instead of $10 a month for Apple News+ with the Washington Post and USA Today as extra expenses.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

This morning I was looking at Apple News+. It includes The Atlantic, Vanity Fair, but is missing Washington Post, New York Times, and USA Today. My wife has both Washington Post and USA Today individually which we share, , and I’m thinking will be more economical to subscribe back to The Atlantic, instead of $10 a month for Apple News+ with the Washington Post and USA Today as extra expenses.

Main bargain you get with Apple News+ is wall Street journal, if that’s a thing you want. Cheapest way to get it, as far as I know.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I wake up to NPR on the clock radio. If I'm around, The PBS News at 3PM, Amanpour at 4PM. For online sources, AP, Reuters, BBC, WaPo, NYT, ProPublica, CNN, and the LA Times (best for California news). Being into shortwave listening when I was growing up turned me into a news junkie from listening to news sources all over the world.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wake up to NPR on the clock radio. If I'm around, The PBS News at 3PM, Amanpour at 4PM. For online sources, AP, Reuters, BBC, WaPo, NYT, ProPublica, CNN, and the LA Times (best for California news). Being into shortwave listening when I was growing up turned me into a news junkie from listening to news sources all over the world.
NPR runs BBC News about 3pm Central. I catch that often.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
We subscribe to The Atlantic and watch PBS Newshour a few times a week. On my days off I’ll usually have Sky News on in the background while drinking coffee and web surfing.

I also browse multiple news aggregates throughout a workday. I think I over-consume news really. It’s too much noise.

D

Deleted member 215

NPR on my clock radio, checking Google News and Apple News on my phone (in that case mostly just skimming headlines to keep up with what's going on, but I do click on articles). I also regularly read articles from the local news, and I subscribe to the New Yorker, but that is more after-the-fact analysis than straight-up "news".

One thing I've never done is watch cable news and I don't think I ever will.

JamesMike

Power User
Reaction score
I still take my old small Grundig radio with me when I travel, shortwave was the way to stay up on the news when I started traveling back in the 70s.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I still take my old small Grundig radio with me when I travel, shortwave was the way to stay up on the news when I started traveling back in the 70s.

Yeah... it's a shame most of international shortwave broadcasters have ceased operations, due to the internet.

I remember listening to Radio Moscow, Deutsche Welle, BBC, Radio Havana, VOA, Radio South Africa, Radio Netherlands, Radio Peking, HCJB in Ecuador, Radio Prague, Radio Bucharest, and dozens more starting when I was in high school. What was also interesting were covert numbers stations. :)

It was fun sending broadcasters reception reports in exchange for QSL (verification) cards. I'd often get magazines, newspapers, etc from different countries, including stacks of Chinese and Soviet Union propaganda magazines and trinkets; like a Chairman Mao's Little Red Book, a red Mao cameo pin, etc in the mail. Some of that required explanations during required investigations when I went to work for defense aerospace companies out of school. :)

Last edited:

gollum

Power User
Reaction score
economical to subscribe
I see zero value in subscribing for news in this day and age. So much info is available by way of the internet. The major news channels all have free sites, such as NBC News, Fox News, CNN.

I think the idea of free news, is so ingrained now, it's the reason why cnn+ failed. Why pay for something that can easily be viewed on cable.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I read the Guardian, FT, Deutsche Well, and used to subscribe to The Economist. Plus The Irish Times, an excellent broadsheet.

I also subscribe to the EDM (from the Jamestown Foundation, an American right wing think tank, generally excellent re sources, and facts, less so re analysis).

Moreover, while I keep an eye on the BBC, worth noting is that Channel 4 have an excellent news broadcast at 19.00, and also follow (specific) stories on Al Jazeera.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I see zero value in subscribing for news in this day and age. So much info is available by way of the internet. The major news channels all have free sites, such as NBC News, Fox News, CNN.

I think the idea of free news, is so ingrained now, it's the reason why cnn+ failed. Why pay for something that can easily be viewed on cable.
I like the writing at both The Atlantic and Vanity Fair so if I want to consume their products, subscriptions are required.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I read the Guardian, FT, Deutsche Well, and used to subscribe to The Economist. Plus The Irish Times, an excellent broadsheet.

I also subscribe to the EDM (from the Jamestown Foundation, an American right wing think tank, generally excellent re sources, and facts, less so re analysis).

Moreover, while I keep an eye on the BBC, worth noting is that Channel 4 have an excellent news broadcast at 19.00, and also follow (specific) stories on Al Jazeera.
These days, I read some (news) online, but still prefer hard copies of publications.

There is something civilised in reading a newspaper, periodical, publication, flanked by a cup of coffee.

Moreover, I still keep a close eye on AAN (Afghan Analysts Network), and, in my time there, used to subscribe to (actual, real newspapers) - the Kabul Times among others - which were delivered regularly.

Another (now, alas, defunct) publication that I also subscribed to was The Moscow Times.

However, nowadays, I also "follow" quite a number of writers, commentators, and journalists online - Twitter, in this instance - (usually, people whose writing I respect, if not always find myself in agreement with) - and will read material that they recommend.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Lots of online newspaper subs, some I always keep, some are revolving doors dependent on whether I can renegotiate a promo rate, others are chosen for short terms over some topic of interest. I keep a bunch of the iOS apps for these and additional news outlets on my iOS gear but usually read the papers on a laptop.

Definitely a news junkie from the wayback, and I mean back in the early 1940s. My permanent subs are WaPo, NYT, FT, LATimes, Christian Science Monitor, The Guardian and a 4-county local paper, the Daily Star (Oneonta, NY).

i use a Twitter list of my media outlet subs as a launch pad into the news on most days.

NPR on the radio when I'm out in the kitchen or taking a break sometimes. PBS transcripts once in awhile. I support public broadcasting but don't often make time to listen.

Lately in the kitchen I'm more likely to have archived MLB video of a baseball game from the NY blackout zone running the next day during those meal preps or coffee breaks. I'm so sick of a weirdly extended winter here that I crave any second-hand sensation that it's actually springtime. Baseball does it!

Top Bottom
1 2