How should the U.S. respond if China invades Taiwan?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
In the past I thought it was just talk. But after their sacking of Hong Kong and Mango's tragic error of an administration, I think it is highly likely that China will strike Taiwan if the GOP takes over the presidency in 2024. I have no faith that a GOP administration will intervene militarily.

My mother in-law thinks it will happen before the next presidential race. I can't say it won't at this point.

Biden should respond with overwhelming force if the CCP is stupid enough to attack Taiwan. Fuck sanctions. Military strikes and destruction of incoming forces. Talks, sanctions, embargoes, etc. can come later.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Biden should respond with overwhelming force if the CCP is stupid enough to attack Taiwan. Fuck sanctions. Military strikes and destruction of incoming forces. Talks, sanctions, embargoes, etc. can come later.
I feel like this could be disastrous and should be a last resort. Unlike what we've seen with Russia's military, I believe China does actually pose a formidable military opponent.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

I think the CCP's army will be a bit more up to the task than the Russian army was.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
feel like this could be disastrous and should be a last resort. Unlike what we've seen with Russia's military, I believe China does actually pose a formidable military opponent.

I think the CCP's army will be a bit more up to the task than the Russian army was.

One word: Moskva. And that simply involved indirect American assistance. Not direct confrontation which would happen if China was stupid enough to invade/attack Taiwan.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Taiwan is the country where the US has had (many) military bases through the years. They have always been a staunch ally.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how well the US could support both a war in Ukraine and war in China. Taiwan I think is much more prepared than Ukraine in terms of possessing and maintaining modern military equipment. But a lot of resources are already going to Ukraine and some important items cannot be readily procured- ie stinger missiles. Granted, Taiwan would probably be much more of an sea and air war. On top of it, it’s much more difficult to resupply an island. And one of the biggest problems is how the humanitarian crisis will be dealt with considering civilians are trapped on the island.

Honestly, I would not expect the US to intervene in a manner that would lead to US forces battling Chinese forces. China could easily decimate many aspects of our economy simply by banning trade. If China banned the export of all healthcare-related supplies then what? Or how about the fact they control the majority of the Lithium Ion supply chain and power transformer, solar panel and wind turbine production.

WWII demonstrated quite well that being able to outproduce your enemy gives you a very good chance of winning. Even if we assume China has inferior weapons across the board (and that would be a rather arrogant assumption), they can replace equipment exponentially faster. In the time it takes us to build 1 ship, they can build a dozen or more. China already has a massive Navy, plus another 16,000+ ships in their “maritime militia”, many with reinforced hulls designed to ram other ships and capable of high speeds- probably unlikely to easily harm naval vessels but surely capable to wreak havoc on commercial operations.

A war with China at this moment in history puts WWIII well within grasp. Why would China and Russia not team up at that point?

That said, I’m not sure China will invade in the near term. Despite the dysfunction of our current administration in the world stage, China makes very calculated decisions and plays the long game. On the other hand, countries in the area, like Japan and Australia, are getting very worried and are building up their military. So the longer they wait, the harder it might be if other countries do intervene.

D

Deleted member 215

Nothing wrong with that—I like there to be some debate here, not just us all agreeing with each other. :)

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
It’s almost like you can’t help throw shade. Do you see why many of the rest of us think you’re basically a…Republican?

I’m sorry to see that you believe that world and people are so black and white. I also don’t understand why so many people can’t be critical of their political party. Keep in mind they are working on your behalf as a citizen.

And no, that “shade” as you call it was intentional but not intended as “shade” as an offhand insult, rather pointing out the fact that oppositional actors on the world stage are going to make decisions based on how they believe the US administration will respond.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I like multiple opinions, that’s how we get conversation. Just don’t keep saying you’re a liberal dem and slam the party every chance you get.

Well there must be the point of confusion because I have never called myself a liberal democrat or any sort of democrat.

But I do share a lot of democrat values, like healthcare for everyone, making healthcare affordable, right to abortion, much stricter gun regulations, investment in public education, affordable higher education, addressing homelessness and addiction issues, environmental conservation, etc.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It’s almost like you can’t help throw shade. Do you see why many of the rest of us think you’re basically a…Republican?

There is dysfunction. Even the Dems are starting to worry about it. Publicly.

Hell, even CNN's Don Lemon is questioning his fitness and cognition. (Not sure if Lemon is doing this because he actually wants to know, or because CNN's new owner's are wanting to get back to straight news and less partisan opinions and he is worried.)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There is dysfunction. Even the Dems are starting to worry about it. Publicly.

Hell, even CNN's Don Lemon is questioning his fitness and cognition. (Not sure if Lemon is doing this because he actually wants to know, or because CNN's new owner's are wanting to get back to straight news and less partisan opinions and he is worried.)
I expect this from you. ;) Of course, nobody who actually listens to Biden speak questions his fitness or cognition. He’s in better shape physically and mentally than a lot of people half his age.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I expect this from you. ;) Of course, nobody who actually listens to Biden speak questions his fitness or cognition. He’s in better shape physically and mentally than a lot of people half his age.

What about the WH having to walk back about half of what he says. Especially on this topic.

When asked at a joint news conference with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida whether the U.S. would be prepared to defend Taiwan if attacked, Biden replied, “Yes.”

This was then walked back by the WH:

The White House quickly downplayed the comments, saying they don’t reflect a change in US policy. It’s the third time in recent months – including during a CNN town hall in October – that Biden has said the US would protect Taiwan from a Chinese attack, only to have the White House walk back those remarks.

Edit: Also, it isn't just me saying it now. Don Lemon is now publicly question it. And he probably has watched and listened to him speak more than us collectively.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2