How should the U.S. respond if China invades Taiwan?

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
What about the WH having to walk back about half of what he says. Especially on this topic.

This was then walked back by the WH:

WHATABOUTWHATABOUTWHATABOUT

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Just because it is me that is saying it, doesn't mean it isn't true.

I was told recently by the White House that America’s economy “in a better place than it has been historically”.

Here’s a picture from the briefing:
1655425022471.jpeg

Pay no attention to the gaslighting taking place.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
What Biden said about Taiwan in the linked article is the same thing he said during the campaign.

Yes, the diplomats have a point in keeping our stance on the issue intentionally vague. No sense to antagonize China unnecessarily.

But I think there has never been much doubt that America (and other countries) would not stand back if China went to war with Taiwan.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What about the WH having to walk back about half of what he says. Especially on this topic.

That's not a cognitive issue, that's him "Telling it like it is ....", I figured people who supported the Orange Pansy would appreciate this take. Sure, like Matt pointed out, sometimes there's a touch of course correction if the President decides to be a little more bombastic (than policy might support).

I like it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So you, Don Lemon, and who else? (Remind me again who Don Lemon is.)

Probably one of the top 3 CNN anchors.

I am not going to get into Biden's mental fitness. Anyone that sees him speak without a teleprompter can make their own determination.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Probably one of the top 3 CNN anchors.

I am not going to get into Biden's mental fitness. Anyone that sees him speak without a teleprompter can make their own determination.
You made a thread specifically about Biden’s mental fitness last year; you’re repeating the same talking points. Please take this over there and stick to Taiwan here. At least people can see these posts in context there.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
You made a thread specifically about Biden’s mental fitness last year; you’re repeating the same talking points. Please take this over there and stick to Taiwan here. At least people can see these posts in context there.

No!

It started as a comment on the WH dysfunction by someone else and how Biden says one thing and then the WH walks it back. And it was specifically about THIS topic. It got pushback, so I rebutted it with Don Lemon's questioning his fitness and part of that fitness was the WH continually having to walk back his words. Again, about the US position on Taiwan.

Don't like it, then get Eric to ban me. Otherwise, deal.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
An interesting article on the US - Taiwan - China issue:

On May 23, during his trip to the Far East, Biden was asked if the U.S. was willing to help Taiwan defend itself should China decide to invade what it regards as a rebel province.
He said yes, adding, “That’s the commitment we made.”
It made headlines, but it’s also not new. He said as much in November, and the U.S. has helped arm Taiwan for decades.
This illustrates a longstanding contradictory policy the U.S. has toward Taiwan. The U.S., like most of the world, does not officially recognize Taiwan as an independent country. We don’t have full diplomatic ties with the island nation, instead dealing with Taipei on a more unofficial basis.

The U.S. has more skin in the game, too. Taiwan is a world leader in the production of computer chips. Any disruption of that industry would create serious problems for American manufacturers and create even more supply chain chaos – something not lost on Lucas, who has been calling for more onshoring of technology manufacturing.
For Biden, it’s a diplomatic gamble. The U.S. has substantial military assets in the western Pacific. The Taiwanese, like the Ukrainians, would likely be highly motivated to defend their homeland. And the Chinese abhor anything that challenges the image of control and competency they like to project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2