Humans, Do We Have a Future?

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

Do Humans Have a Future as the Top Species living on Mother Earth?

• Nope

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Maybe Slightly

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Maybe 50-50

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • I'm confident they do

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Absolutely

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

lizkat

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Forty years ago I'd have bet our brains and common sense could help us think our way out of almost any problem. Judging by what I've see lately, I have to retract that view. It's not that there aren't still people who are smart and have good judgment, it's just that they just seem to be a dwindling minority.

Probably not a dwindling minority but one striving harder to become part of a majority. More and younger citizens of the world are climbing on board, pressuring their elders to help make enough difference in time to keep the earth human-habitable longer. Their efforts are individual but often part of organized endeavors, sometimes national (or regional and multinational).

There's no reason except human effort that some fairly small countries have done more to mitigate ill effects of climate change by law, example and individual effort to extend the effort and persuade others to join.

Costa Rica is a good example. Who'd have thought it? Half the world's population likely never heard of Costa Rica much less would figure them high on the actions-taken list for ecology-protective and climate change mitigating behavior. Yet they continue on track with intention to be carbon-neutral by 2050 and they have some of the most innovative incentives to help even their impoverished citizens make that into a reality.​
Or who would have pegged Lebanon as a 2020 winner on the list of the UN's action awards in the sustainable development goals challenge (they won because of an all female team working in the energy sector on amping up solar power options).​

The reason we don't hear more about all this in the USA , short of the Trump administration in particular --and our own energy sector in general-- not being fully on board with green initiatives, is largely that this stuff hasn't yet been widely made into lucrative enough clickbait. It's still more profitable to print stuff about film celebrities or the royalty of other countries or the future plans and prospects of a certain Western head of state.

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
Probably not a dwindling minority but one striving harder to become part of a majority. More and younger citizens of the world are climbing on board, pressuring their elders to help make enough difference in time to keep the earth human-habitable longer. Their efforts are individual but often part of organized endeavors, sometimes national (or regional and multinational).

There's no reason except human effort that some fairly small countries have done more to mitigate ill effects of climate change by law, example and individual effort to extend the effort and persuade others to join.

Costa Rica is a good example. Who'd have thought it? Half the world's population likely never heard of Costa Rica much less would figure them high on the actions-taken list for ecology-protective and climate change mitigating behavior. Yet they continue on track with intention to be carbon-neutral by 2050 and they have some of the most innovative incentives to help even their impoverished citizens make that into a reality.​
Or who would have pegged Lebanon as a 2020 winner on the list of the UN's action awards in the sustainable development goals challenge (they won because of an all female team working in the energy sector on amping up solar power options).​

The reason we don't hear more about all this in the USA , short of the Trump administration in particular --and our own energy sector in general-- not being fully on board with green initiatives, is largely that this stuff hasn't yet been widely made into lucrative enough clickbait. It's still more profitable to print stuff about film celebrities or the royalty of other countries or the future plans and prospects of a certain Western head of state.
The thought has crossed my mind to move to Costa Rica after retiring...at least until I reach an age where I need medical.

CR has literacy rate in the high 90’s, no military, wonderful nature, and extremely safe. There’s signs in the airport asking tourist NOT to give money to kids if approached and to report them. CR wants their kids in school. Please stop talking about CR post haste.

Huntn

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
As I mentioned before there are varying opinions on how to address climate change just as there are on economic and political systems.

Perhaps drop the smartest man in the room approach and just articulate a few specific steps you think ought to be taken rather making broad sweeping commentary about mankind. It’s so banal and pointlessly white knightish.

And while periods do have magical healing powers they can’t perform miracles without properly formed sentences expressing logically organized thoughts.

I humbly suggest organizing your thoughts then write a sentence fragment introducing each of them separately followed with a few supporting bulletin points.

One long random unorganized list leaves the reader having to unravel what the writer is trying to say...or worse yet questioning if the writer even knows what they’re trying to say.
I was not writing a thesis on how to fix global warming, I was simply saying we have a lot of intelligence yet are unable to address this issue, an issue we created. Please don’t make more of it then I intended, and then maybe express a little interest other than defacto denial and disinterest.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
I was not writing a thesis on how to fix global warming, I was simply saying we have a lot of intelligence yet are unable to address this issue, an issue we created. Please don’t make more of it then I intended, and then maybe express a little interest other than defacto denial and disinterest.

😏

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Reaction score
This looks like an interesting innovation:

Top Bottom