Hummingbirds

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That is quite the setup, complete with background and feeder. I'm sure that makes it a lot easier than hoping to just randomly catch them buzzing around flowers.
Yeah, I even go as far as taping off all the feeder holes accept for the one I'm focused on, it's amazing how well they adapt the the setup. Otherwise, even with all that gear, it's very hard to capture them just right. It's like trying to photograph a fly in motion, near impossible.

U

User.45

Dammit, that keeps happening on my image posts lol.. okay, let's try this. Yeah, there's a lot of manual settings for both the camera and flashes to get them captured right.

View attachment 414

Wanted to ask what the shutter speed was. It's actually slower than I thought. Very impressive shots. Do they get scared by the flashes?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wanted to ask what the shutter speed was. It's actually slower than I thought. Very impressive shots. Do they get scared by the flashes?
A question a fellow photographer would ask. ;) For these shots I keep it below 1/240 (closer to 1/200) as the flashes are doing the work of freezing everything. I have them set to about 1/4 power so they don't flash as bright but they stay on a little longer. When I'm shooting without a flash I have it set to about 1/4000 of a second with an ISO of 2000 or more typically, depending on how much sunlight there is.

U

User.45

A question a fellow photographer would ask. ;) For these shots I keep it below 1/240 (closer to 1/200) as the flashes are doing the work of freezing everything. I have them set to about 1/4 power so they don't flash as bright but they stay on a little longer. When I'm shooting without a flash I have it set to about 1/4000 of a second with an ISO of 2000 or more typically, depending on how much sunlight there is.
That's fantastic. I one day want to have the patience to do things like this. I like the physics of light, but am definitely not a photographer. Though looking to learn...had to choose between a synth and a DSLR and went with DSLR just because it forces me to get out of the house.

IMG_0369.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That's fantastic. I one day want to have the patience to do things like this. I like the physics of light, but am definitely not a photographer. Though looking to learn...had to choose between a synth and a DSLR and went with DSLR just because it forces me to get out of the house.

View attachment 415
I beg to differ, if you have a camera and are out taking photos then you're a photographer IMO. This is a great shot and the lighting is well done here, one of the conveniences of the DSLR is what we can do in post, especially if shooting in raw.

I am always learning myself, I think I'll always consider it a lifelong practice. I wouldn't never had the patience to go through all of that with the hummingbirds had it not been for a shelter in place order lol.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I even go as far as taping off all the feeder holes accept for the one I'm focused on, it's amazing how well they adapt the the setup. Otherwise, even with all that gear, it's very hard to capture them just right. It's like trying to photograph a fly in motion, near impossible.

I definitely know who to come to with questions when I rotate nature photography from the half-assed section of my many creative interests to the fully focused section. :)

I've found bees have become easier to photograph and film...but because they've become quite lethargic with climate change. :confused: When I was a kid bees were something you feared. Not so much anymore.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 415

Great pic. I need to be notified when there is a picture of mantids, but I couldn't find the setting in the preferences. 😐

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I definitely know who to come to with questions when I rotate nature photography from the half-assed section of my many creative interests to the fully focused section. :)

I've found bees have become easier to photograph and film...but because they've become quite lethargic with climate change. :confused: When I was a kid bees were something you feared. Not so much anymore.
Neat subject, my buddy in Daly City gets the green bees every year, have you seen those in your area yet? Amazing and beautiful looking, I really want to get some shots of it but the sightings are rare and fleeting.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Neat subject, my buddy in Daly City gets the green bees every year, have you seen those in your area yet? Amazing and beautiful looking, I really want to get some shots of it but the sightings are rare and fleeting.

Never even heard of green bees. Sounds like a disease.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
They've been getting more colorful throughout the year, this one used to have spots of color and has fully bloomed.

IMG_2034.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the hummingbirds have started their trek north for the winter. I only saw two this morning, as opposed to being dive-bombed by a dozen all morning like the past month.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think the hummingbirds have started their trek north for the winter. I only saw two this morning, as opposed to being dive-bombed by a dozen all morning like the past month.
I was wondering about that, do you typically see them go away in the winter time completely? We've had them for 8 months here in central CA but our winters aren't very harsh.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was wondering about that, do you typically see them go away in the winter time completely? We've had them for 8 months here in central CA but our winters aren't very harsh.
They typically disappear entirely. I was under the impression they actually preferred the colder climes for the winter. Winters here don’t count.

Top Bottom
1 2