I found the cause of all the shootings

U

User.45

D@mn pandemics gettin' in the way of our weekly mass shootings.

Now we have to do all this catching up, in between police killings.

So glad we are finally getting back to "normal". :rolleyes: 🤬:brickwall:
I didn't put /s because I suspect you guys know where I stand on this. It's all fucking absurd, atrocious and....avoidable.

It’s worse now ‘cause all of the people that have been quarantined and forced to play those pesky violent video games all day!

Weird that other countries don’t see the same correlation between games and mass shootings. Must be because of American exceptionalism. Can’t be because of lax gun regulations.

The EU is a great control for school shootings:
-Population: ~600M
-School shootings: 16 in 20 years (i.e. fever than 1 in a year for a population nearly twice that of the USA)
-Schol shooting fatalities: ~63 in 20 years. That's 3/yr, that is 1 in about 200M/annum.

USA?
Guns beat cancer and blow drownings out the water:
1618579269728.png

U

User.45

See, firearms aren’t even the most common cause of death, yet nobody wants to ban motor vehicles! Damn libs coming for my guns!
Motorvehicles killed more cops than guns indeed.
But those damn libs wanna ban COVID-19 too:
1618581358761.png

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
You know what? I take it back. Let's all join hurt & friends. No masks, let the virus run free so we get more stay @ home orders no one wants.

Yes, more people will die from the virus, but a few less will seemingly get shot.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1383068125462151173/

How the fuck did we go from NOT knowing you might get mass shot in a random shopping trip, to possibly randomly getting covid and dying, back to NOT knowing if you go somewhere you might be part of a mass shooting?!

Social distancing will really become a permanent survival tool in the U.S., stay your ass home.

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I realize you’re being sarcastic, but this is not normal:

The US has reported at least 45 mass shootings in the last month

It's the "new" normal. :rolleyes: :brickwall:

This was just last year. Remember when some lawmakers got the bright idea to help with school shootings was for there to be bullet proof backpacks?

Pretty soon catching future versions of covid & praying you don't get shot will be so routine, we'll forget what it was like when bullet proof back packs where not a thing.

Least everyone will have the option of rocking a gun & a mask.

yay

U

User.45

You know what? I take it back. Let's all join hurt & friends. No masks, let the virus run free so we get more stay @ home orders no one wants.
Believe it or not, I've had a classmate from med school, who stated "we should give up on masks, let the pandemic run its course so we can back to normal as soon as possible". The idiot even worked at a COVID ward. When I followed up his statements with casualty projections using his "preferred scenarios" his response was a set of unsubstantiated statements followed by him calling me an extreme pessimist (i'm a realist, it's not my fault the the pessimistic scenarios tend to win out).

When it comes to gun deaths, the gun nut's highly biased risk perceptions is the problem. So when I look at the 2019 stats on how many line-of-duty cops were killed by by gun, vehicular or other forms of violence (60), that's about 1 in 100K chance of a violent death (For scale, 1 in 200K is the definition of an "orphan disease"). In 2020 and 2021, we lost a total of 87 officers to violence, and 285 to COVID.

Yet the consideration is that we should absolutely compromise on COVID safety, but never on police militarization. Even though the risk is 3-4x higher for an officer to die of COVID. These numbers tell it all in my opinion about quantifiable bias in risk perception.

U

User.45

One of the most staggering guns stats to me (beyond the fact that there is more than 1 gun available for each man woman and child, is that:
ABOUT 1.4 MILLION GUNS STOLEN DURING HOUSEHOLD BURGLARIES
AND OTHER PROPERTY CRIMES FROM 2005 THROUGH 2010

WASHINGTON – About 1.4 million firearms were stolen during household burglaries and other property crimes over the six-year period from 2005 through 2010, according to a report released today by the Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS). This number represents an estimated average of 232,400 firearms stolen each year— about 172,000 stolen during burglaries and 60,300 stolen during other property crimes.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Yes, more people will die from the virus, but a few less will seemingly get shot.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1383068125462151173/

How the fuck did we go from NOT knowing you might get mass shot in a random shopping trip, to possibly randomly getting covid and dying, back to NOT knowing if you go somewhere you might be part of a mass shooting?!

Social distancing will really become a permanent survival tool in the U.S., stay your ass home.

I think I figured it out. Since apparently right after a mass shooting it's not the time to talk about gun control, if there’s a new mass shooting every couple days or every week then it will never be the time to talk about gun control. Shrewd new strategy.

U

User.45

I think I figured it out. Since apparently right after a mass shooting it's not the time to talk about gun control, if there’s a new mass shooting every couple days or every week then it will never be the time to talk about gun control. Shrewd new strategy.
This takes me back to a discussion with my MR Frenemy. He used NY and Chicago as an example why gun control doesn't work, and I pointed it out that most guns in Chicago shootings can be traced back to legal purchases neighboring Indiana and Wisconsin shops. His response: being a Democrat is like a sickness with a fixation of shifting the blame on the GOP:D

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
One of the most staggering guns stats to me (beyond the fact that there is more than 1 gun available for each man woman and child, is that:

A semi-comforting statistic I heard recently is out of all the guns in circulation a good percentage of them are owned by a small percentage of owners, meaning collectors. So it’s not like half the country are gun nutters, it’s more like a third.

And since the Republicans are all about minority rule and the 2nd amendment is largely their baby to defend, they’re really overexaggerating how many 2nd amendment nuts are out there and how many gun owners are fiercely against more gun control and regulation.

U

User.45

A semi-comforting statistic I heard recently is out of all the guns in circulation a good percentage of them are owned by a small percentage of owners, meaning collectors. So it’s not like half the country are gun nutters, it’s more like a third.

And since the Republicans are all about minority rule and the 2nd amendment is largely their baby to defend, they’re really overexaggerating how many 2nd amendment nuts are out there and how many gun owners are fiercely against more gun control and regulation.
Oh without a doubt! This is why I found Ammoland.com's graph of declining violent crime and increaseing gun ownership a textbook example of the classical bias: confounding. Somebody even pointed this very thing out, if there's only a fraction of the populace that owns the majority of guns then maybe the trend lines do not really correlate with each other, but with a third (or nth) factor.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This takes me back to a discussion with my MR Frenemy. He used NY and Chicago as an example why gun control doesn't work, and I pointed it out that most guns in Chicago shootings can be traced back to legal purchases neighboring Indiana and Wisconsin shops. His response: being a Democrat is like a sickness with a fixation of shifting the blame on the GOP:D

2nd amendment supporters love to point out there are already thousands of gun laws and regulations on the books (as if all of them apply directly to them) while asking what’s the point of more if somebody can just cross a county or state line to get a gun. They’ve pointed out both the problem and the solution. A good number of those thousands of laws and regulations could be removed if there was tighter federal laws and regulations. Nobody could just cross a county or state line to get a gun because the same laws and restrictions apply no matter where they go. I’m sure it is annoying and frustrating for a “responsible gun owner” to do a cross country trip with a gun in their car while being mindful of all the different gun laws and restrictions they’d be passing through. Guess what, make it federal and that would no longer be an issue. Same rules apply no matter where you are with your gun.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh without a doubt! This is why I found Ammoland.com's graph of declining violent crime and increaseing gun ownership a textbook example of the classical bias: confounding. Somebody even pointed this very thing out, if there's only a fraction of the populace that owns the majority of guns then maybe the trend lines do not really correlate with each other, but with a third (or nth) factor.

That reminds me of a story Daryl Davis (black man well known for getting people to leave the klan by engaging them in open conversation) shared. The klan member said one of the facts that bolstered his belief in white supremacy was all the violent crime in poor black neighborhoods. Daryl pointed out the reason for the crime was because of the poverty and the people in that neighborhood just happened to be black. If you took a similarly impoverished white neighborhood you would also find high crime rates. The klan member couldn’t really argue with that.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, that argument was the most disingenuous piece of shite they liked to throw out. "How come if Chicago's got such tough gun laws, it doesn't stop all the guns?" Because Chicago's laws are so tough, it's neighboring states don't bother so weapon sales are thru the roof. But hey, let's pretend it's gun restrictions that are failing.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1383126910041878532/

United States, we have a problem!

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1383150992149991431/

Last edited:
U

User.45

Yeah, that argument was the most disingenuous piece of shite they liked to throw out. "How come if Chicago's got such tough gun laws, it doesn't stop all the guns?" Because Chicago's laws are so tough, it's neighboring states don't bother so weapon sales are thru the roof. But hey, let's pretend it's gun restrictions that are failing.
Yup. It's like the hill-dwellers ridiculing their valley-dwelling neighbors' complaints shit flow.

We do... ~64 dead already.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I was reading about the shooting in Indianapolis. This event also exposed (to me) another problem in America. A number of those killed were over 60 (one was 74) and they were working a night shift at FedEx. Is working the late shift into our 70s the new normal?

I think the death of unions (and therefore the cancellation of pensions in favor of 401k) is making retirement impossible for many.

I see a heartless country these days. So many millions voted for Trump. So many millions value their gun collections above the lives of children. So many politicians destroyed the ability of workers to form unions and earn an honest wage. And politicians still won’t raise the minimum wage.

Are you proud to be an American, where at least you know you’re free? (paraphrase of Lee Greenwood) Free to die in poverty or by getting gunned down working the night shift at age 74, despite serving your country in a war. Shame on Americans who intentionally refuse to fix these problems.

Top Bottom
1 2