What the F?!!!
Reaction score
131435895_883442332418376_4265993362004174725_n.jpg

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dammit, now I am singing, You can be anything you want, on Alice's internet
Kids, this-piece-of-paper's-got-47-words-37-sentences-58-words-we-wanna-Know-details-of-the-crime-time-of-the-crime-and-any-other-kind-of-thing-You-gotta-say-pertaining-to-and-about-the-crime-I-want-to-know-arresting-Officer's-name-and-any-other-kind-of-thing-you-gotta-say.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
The "friendly fair warning to neighbors of a 4-month-old baby"... and some options:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1338581273724514309/

the author of that note is very well intentioned and obviously wants to be a good mother. she's polite and caring.

for obvious reasons we grow up in certain ways because of how we ourselves were raised.
its such a part of you, one can not see certain behaviours unless they come into question.
and then for the first time you can understand that those behaviours are in fact not universal, nor are they unassailable.

a baby left to "cry itself to sleep" is considered abnormal in many parts of the world.
in these places a baby learns that crying is its real call for help when needed. and learns to cry when it really does need help.
in these places the baby doesnt learn that it needs to cry to get its way. it doesnt overuse crying as a tactic to get its way.
in America the phrase used most often with "cry itself to sleep" is "we dont want to spoil it by thinking it can cry to get its way".
many, probably most, cultures in the world do not think this way.
parenting is the ultimate culturally based character shaping framework, it self-perpetuates its ideas. its the reason for cultural differences even between different cultural groups within America itself. the hand that rocks the cradle...shapes people.

but the phrase "let him cry himself to sleep" or "let her cry herself to sleep" , to me, is the most cruel and damaging phrase in an American's parenting toolbox.

Last edited:
U

User.45

the author of that note is very well intentioned and obviously a good mother. she's polite and caring.

for obvious reasons we grow up in certain ways because of how we ourselves were raised.
its such a part of you, one can not see certain behaviours unless they come into question.
and then for the first time you can understand that those behaviours are in fact not universal, nor are they unassailable.

a baby left to "cry itself to sleep" is considered abnormal in many parts of the world.
in these places a baby learns that crying is its real call for help when needed. and learns to cry when it really does need help.
in these places the baby doesnt learn that it needs to cry to get its way. it doesnt overuse crying as a tactic to get its way.
in America the phrase used most often with "cry itself to sleep" is "we dont want to spoil it by thinking it can cry to get its way".
parenting is the ultimate culturally based character shaping framework, it self-perpetuates its ideas. its the reason for cultural differences even between different cultural groups within America itself. the hand that rocks the cradle...shapes people.

but the phrase "let him cry himself to sleep" or "let her cry herself to sleep" , to me, is the most cruel and damaging phrase in an American's parenting toolbox.
Yup. And at 4 months it makes little sense.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
This is exactly WHY I left the north.

Have you seen what happens when it snows down here? We get a light dusting, and people are scrambling over each other like ants in a swarm for milk and eggs, cars slamming into each other not because there's ice on the road, but because seeing anything more than the occasional flurry causes us to panic. It's mass chaos.

Were you here during the blizzard of '93? I was. It snowed a foot, and 200 people died. Best sledding ever though.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
the author of that note is very well intentioned and obviously wants to be a good mother. she's polite and caring.

We got picked up and cuddled (and did that with our younger sibs) because hella noise otherwise was a royal pain in the ears and points south.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
We got picked up and cuddled (and did that with our younger sibs) because hella noise otherwise was a royal pain in the ears and points south.

i am a big proponent of this way.

i realise there are different ways and schools of parenting.

but i firmly believe that cuddling your infant provides them with a better chance to become stable adults.
and, this way also builds stronger family ties.
it is no surprise to me that Asian cultures all do this, and without exception, they all have strong family connections.
it is not a coincidence to me.

leekohler2

Power User
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2