ICE Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@quagmire

Nice, yeah, my god, a LR Y is still quicker than 95% of the cars on the street, and I was really surprised by the storage space, while it's clearly bigger than a 3, it'll hold a good deal more.

Oh I know, the ever fluctuating prices ... I really wanted to have the tax credit sorted out, but the timing wouldn't work, so I (as you know) went ahead and purchased back in June, but it looks like waiting would've just about offset any possible tax credit that might get introduced (i.e., glad I went ahead and pulled the trigger).

@ericwn

I think it's pretty much covered above, they have physical service centers, they have mobile service, I've heard both accolodates and raging condemnation. I have a lot of friends with Teslas, and at least in that close circle of people, service has been pretty outstanding (SCs and mobile).

I think it's all compounded at the moment by "the world", there's a growing list of people with Mach-Es, waiting on parts (without any hint of when that might happen), weird holdups in production, repair, parts, etc., I think Tesla may have had a bit of a perfect storm with insane growth, a so-so existing service model, and the supply chain/HR issues.

I've had quite a few cars, and had make/models known for being fantastic run into costly service, and other models you might think otherwise about, but had perfect service.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@quagmire

I went logo-less on the front :D My intent was to remove, and either Plastidip and replace / get aftermarket - in either case in flat black - but I like the clean look so much, I'm just leaving it off for now.

Hahahaha, I do have a Honda H leftover from my S2K, I should stick that on the front :ROFLMAO: Oh, or my Coyote 5.0 badge o_O

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
The other day when I was going to the grocery store I was surprised to see something new in the parking lot: a charging station for EV!!!! Just one, though, not several of them. It wasn't specifically for Tesla, I think the name on there was Volta (?) and the charging-up of one's vehicle was offered for free for up to two hours. So presumably the owner of an EV can pull into that space (if it's unoccupied and available) and plug in his or her car and let it charge up while the owner is busy doing the weekly grocery shopping in the store. Very cool!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The other day when I was going to the grocery store I was surprised to see something new in the parking lot: a charging station for EV!!!! Just one, though, not several of them. It wasn't specifically for Tesla, I think the name on there was Volta (?) and the charging-up of one's vehicle was offered for free for up to two hours. So presumably the owner of an EV can pull into that space (if it's unoccupied and available) and plug in his or her car and let it charge up while the owner is busy doing the weekly grocery shopping in the store. Very cool!
There is a website (and phone app) called plugshare. You can find chargers everywhere, including some people who share their own personal chargers.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
On another note..... Why does it feel like my car is a red headed step child? It took forever to get to 32.21 which finally gave me Disney+ and car wash mode. Now 36.5 and 36.6 is rolling out which allows the app to control scheduled charging, set what amps the car charges at, etc and my car still says up to date! How long will it take for it to hit my car this time? haha And people with vision cars are getting it so it isn't a radar vs vision branch thing.

:cool:

9EB8F7C1-2FFF-4141-8324-7C58C8E93D04.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah, badgeless front (took this for a Tesla x 2 at the grocery :D)

IMG_0106.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I get nervous updating my iPhone. Couldn't imagine updating a car. :)

Yeah, it makes me a tiny bit uneasy, but also always excited for something new (plus we have another car, and don't drive that much, and 99% of the time, together).

That's the other thing that's kind of astounding, the car just keeps getting better. One of the x.36 updates is to improve interior cold weather performance, I mean, really? I update a car via a smart phone confirmation and the heat works better? Wow.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Got the 36.8 update a couple of days later. As I've mentioned, the car has 8 cameras, and you can set Sentry Mode while parked, which is basically like a multi-camera security system (using motion sensors). This can be played back on the car display, or, the USB drive can be removed and you can view them on a computer, tablet, etc.

With this new update, you can view the cameras live from the iOS app. Dozens of real world uses for having a live view: check parking situation, confirm a meter, check the weather, for folks leaving work late, check out the parking area for any shady goings-on, etc.

You can also honk and blink the lights from the remote viewer, as well as speak through the cars external speaker. "Hey, you in the hoodie, I'm coming out with security ..." :D

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
You can also honk and blink the lights from the remote viewer, as well as speak through the cars external speaker. "Hey, you in the hoodie, I'm coming out with security ..." :D

Or you know...... " Bite my shiny metal ass"

Sorry couldn't resist......

Will need to check if I got the update as well.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
As just sort of a nerdly aside, the update notification actually came up on my iPad (it's usually just sitting on a stand on my desk), and that's where I initiated it.

I saw there's also some new messages/notifications, like I saw a guy had stopped at a SuC on the fly (vs. navigating there), and it informed him he should "precondition for better performance next time".

Neat.

U

User.45

Renting a model 3 for a trip. Boy, this car is soo overrated. This is the most over engineered piece of equipment I’ve ever touched. The car screams of design compromises and interacting with the gui is like texting and driving.

I swear, the center consoles design only makes sense if there is a Head-Up Display. I’ve never driven a car where i had to switch focus completely off the road and scan to find my speed. It’s ridiculous.

Mirror settings in submenu? Fuck that shit.
Is AC on? Refocus, scan, tap.

Voice commands to activate defogger? Cancels route in navigation instead.

The navigation is shite compared to Apple maps. tap on a 1cm button in the right upper corner of the screen x3 to activate follow-me navigation view.

Autopilot told me to put my hands in the wheel. I didn’t see the screen had it written that i had to shake it a little and not just hold it.

“Immersive sound” Is largely bullshit.

Does this car do direct USB play off iPhones? Because BT music murders dynamics and spatial reproduction.

I couldn’t get the seat comfy without crushing the leg of my kid in the child seat in the middle. I mean 6’3” isn’t that tall to justify this.

There’s a huuuuge blind field in the right side of the car. Should i just rely on the sensors telling me I’m about cut someone off??

Emergency blinker placed next to the rear view mirror. FFS the last thing i wanna do is look up to find it if i need it suddenly. I know, some US drivers wouldn’t know that button even if their life depended on it (literally ) but it’s indefensible.

The wind noise was comparable to my i3 which generates sounds as better (via usb audio), and is more fun to drive. M3 handles better but that’s a class thing.

So the only thing M3 excelled in was battery management and the charger system is amazing. But i felt this car to be extremely pretentious.

U

User.45

Renting a model 3 for a trip. Boy, this car is soo overrated. This is the most over engineered piece of equipment I’ve ever touched. The car screams of design compromises and interacting with the gui is like texting and driving.

I swear, the center consoles design only makes sense if there is a Head-Up Display. I’ve never driven a car where i had to switch focus completely off the road and scan to find my speed. It’s ridiculous.

Mirror settings in submenu? Fuck that shit.
Is AC on? Refocus, scan, tap.

Voice commands to activate defogger? Cancels route in navigation instead.

The navigation is shite compared to Apple maps. tap on a 1cm button in the right upper corner of the screen x3 to activate follow-me navigation view.

Autopilot told me to put my hands in the wheel. I didn’t see the screen had it written that i had to shake it a little and not just hold it.

“Immersive sound” Is largely bullshit.

Does this car do direct USB play off iPhones? Because BT music murders dynamics and spatial reproduction.

I couldn’t get the seat comfy without crushing the leg of my kid in the child seat in the middle. I mean 6’3” isn’t that tall to justify this.

There’s a huuuuge blind field in the right side of the car. Should i just rely on the sensors telling me I’m about cut someone off??

Emergency blinker placed next to the rear view mirror. FFS the last thing i wanna do is look up to find it if i need it suddenly. I know, some US drivers wouldn’t know that button even if their life depended on it (literally ) but it’s indefensible.

The wind noise was comparable to my i3 which generates sounds as better (via usb audio), and is more fun to drive. M3 handles better but that’s a class thing.

So the only thing M3 excelled in was battery management and the charger system is amazing. But i felt this car to be extremely pretentious.
Just to clarify a few things, now that I'm fully awake. Forgot the "best" part:

I turned on the AutoPilot, it went OK first, then it prompted me to grab the steering wheel (which I never even let go), then it showed some text on the screen in font size 12. Then it PUNISHED ME! It turned off and told me that Autopilot is disabled for the rest of this trip because I didn’t hold the wheel! Turns out, the text on the screen was to jiggle the wheel.… I still feel dirty about this robot S&M deal.

This car is Elon. An essentially cool concept, a few brilliant solutions, but all drowned in just crazy wackiness. Anytime I turned on AP I had a Elon's voice echoing in my mind: "I promise it will be fine", which immediately made me scared for my family's life.

I think Model Y could have fixed some of these issues, at least with seating and screen placement (doubt it). But overall, if the Supercharger network wasn't insanely functional I'd say I'd never consider it over an i4 for the same price.

----
Did I mention the panel gaps? There was an internal panel gap so blatant, even my wife laughed when I pointed it out.

----
Last thought. Model Y has a tow hitch. What is the point when the supercharger cables are rigid and you'd have to detach your trailer every time you need to charge it?! this is just so friggin stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I saw a Ford Mustang Mach-E in the grocery store parking lot a couple days ago. It looks like a really solid vehicle… and appeared to have a spacious interior too.

Top Bottom
1 2