ICE Vehicles: General topics

U

User.45

It's amazing how many people are love sick over Carplay and crap over Tesla for not having it.

Carplay just provides manufactures an excuse to not actually develop an interface that actually works. It was useful in my Camaro, but I don't miss it in my Model 3. I would love an Apple Music App, but zero wishes for Carplay. Tesla's interface( opinions about V11 none withstanding) is actually functional and going to Carplay would be a step back.
I use CarPlay only for navigation. But it is very important to me.
@quagmire I agree. Carplay is indeed an excuse for carmakers to not make a decent interface, but at the same time, it's also a guarantee that your infotainment system will be kept updated over the years. Musk understands that the best way to build a brand is to keep supporting the software. That's really what made Apple stand out too. That said, Tesla's navigation is 5 years behind. At this point I'm 100% used to Apple maps specifying which exact lane I need to get into, Tesla's navigation totally failed doing so in New Jersey for example. Nothing you can't overcome with a little extra attention but it's really frustrating when you're tired. Also, as I mentioned before, my BMW's nav shows buildings on zoomed in city maps and that really helps with the navigation. I could not get that on the M3. When I zoomed in, it switched to point-of-interest mode, which doesn't follow and keep the car's position in the center. So as far as I recall I had to take a longer glance at the screen to foresee where the road goes.

-------
I'm still on the fence about Ioniq5 and selling my I3 vs. keeping my I3 and adding an M3. I think people who are super happy with their M3s have 1 or 2 (or more) additional cars. I don't think Teslas are reliable enough to be the sole family car. To me range matters over speed and with their heat pumps, newer M3s can keep a cabin warm for like 5 days, vs. 1.5 day w/o the heatpump (per some youtube tests). Having lived in cold(er) cities, my nightmare is having a stretch of subzero (F) temps and having to choose between getting to your destination or keeping the cabin warm. So the heat pump, the range and the charging network makes M3 a pretty good choice. OTOH, Hyundai decided to only put the heat pump in the AWD version of Ioniq 5, which has like 40 miles shorter range than the RWD. So you lose all the miles you gained with the heat pump immediately... It's so frustrating, it might be a dealbreaker for me.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
@quagmire I agree. Carplay is indeed an excuse for carmakers to not make a decent interface, but at the same time, it's also a guarantee that your infotainment system will be kept updated over the years. Musk understands that the best way to build a brand is to keep supporting the software. That's really what made Apple stand out too. That said, Tesla's navigation is 5 years behind. At this point I'm 100% used to Apple maps specifying which exact lane I need to get into, Tesla's navigation totally failed doing so in New Jersey for example. Nothing you can't overcome with a little extra attention but it's really frustrating when you're tired. Also, as I mentioned before, my BMW's nav shows buildings on zoomed in city maps and that really helps with the navigation. I could not get that on the M3. When I zoomed in, it switched to point-of-interest mode, which doesn't follow and keep the car's position in the center. So as far as I recall I had to take a longer glance at the screen to foresee where the road goes.

No doubt there could be improvements to Tesla's nav when it comes to features. There is nothing stopping Tesla from making those changes given since they constantly update the vehicle. They just need to actually do it....

Carplay is nice don't get me wrong. Like I said, I loved it in my Camaro. Just I don't miss it given how Tesla's interface is and does get updates. Just need them to update stuff with the latest features.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Did anyone else watch any of the Rolex 24 this past weekend? Pretty amazing weekend of racing, but the finish in GTDP was f***ing off the charts!

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread but I picked up this Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI on Saturday.

d19913eb079f19c3d4cead699947360f.jpg

4e63fdd4a2681fcb34008393e3a30f2f.jpg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Interesting article about the future of the car buying. Tesla sure is turning the process on its end.

Edit: For some reason it is now paywalled. :( It wasn't when I read it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Nice one, I wish we had more station wagons over here instead of SUVs.

Wagons never really caught on here, I think there was a bit of a stigma, then SUVs sort of took over at the "utility" vehicle, even though 90% of the people driving them could've just opted for a wagon (if they were available).

Funny enough, I see a ton of posts on a Tesla forum about bringing a wagon to market, basically making a wagaon-ized version of the Model 3 (including the P3D :D)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Wagons never really caught on here, I think there was a bit of a stigma,

Could have something to do with this :ROFLMAO::

1646057826824.jpeg

A friend growing up had one of those station wagons where you sat in the back looking rearward. He couldn't sit there because it made him carsick.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread but I picked up this Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI on Saturday.

d19913eb079f19c3d4cead699947360f.jpg

4e63fdd4a2681fcb34008393e3a30f2f.jpg
Nice leather trim. At least it doesn’t have that piano black interior of my golf. It attracts finger prints and dust like a rare earth magnet. Looks great when you clean it. 30 seconds later, not so much.
Currently sat at the dealer waiting to finalise my first new car order.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
My parents drove stations wagons for years -- I grew up with them and, yes, it's really too bad that they fell out of favor and that now we have the monster SUVs hogging roads and parking lot slots instead.

AFB, this is so exciting, it's really happening!! Before long you'll be the owner of a brand new electric car! Wheeeee!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
it's really too bad that they fell out of favor and that now we have the monster SUVs hogging roads and parking lot slots instead.

You do realize the overall length of a Suburban is the same as a 1970's Olds Custom Cruiser. And a Tahoe is actually 15" shorter.

Maybe the good old days weren't so good. ;)

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Nice one, I wish we had more station wagons over here instead of SUVs.

That Passat I had had the biggest boot of any car I have owned and our SUV’s are tiny compared to those sold in North America. The boot on this Audi isn’t too bad to be honest either. I’ll probably move away from an estate once the kids have left home and don’t come on holiday with us anymore.

Station wagons as you call them or estates here in Europe are really popular here. I think if I win the lottery I’d be buying an Audi RS6 Avant. All the fun of a sports car but with a boot lol.
Nice leather trim. At least it doesn’t have that piano black interior of my golf. It attracts finger prints and dust like a rare earth magnet. Looks great when you clean it. 30 seconds later, not so much.
Currently sat at the dealer waiting to finalise my first new car order.

The lack of gloss black on the interior is most welcome lol. Good luck with the purchase. I suppose it’ll be a few months before we see pics.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Wagons never really caught on here, I think there was a bit of a stigma, then SUVs sort of took over at the "utility" vehicle, even though 90% of the people driving them could've just opted for a wagon (if they were available).

Funny enough, I see a ton of posts on a Tesla forum about bringing a wagon to market, basically making a wagaon-ized version of the Model 3 (including the P3D :D)

To me an SUV is often times just a wagon with a bit higher roof attempting to look as if it can go off-road. But the industry certainly sold it well.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
That Passat I had had the biggest boot of any car I have owned and our SUV’s are tiny compared to those sold in North America. The boot on this Audi isn’t too bad to be honest either. I’ll probably move away from an estate once the kids have left home and don’t come on holiday with us anymore.

Station wagons as you call them or estates here in Europe are really popular here. I think if I win the lottery I’d be buying an Audi RS6 Avant. All the fun of a sports car but with a boot lol.

The lack of gloss black on the interior is most welcome lol. Good luck with the purchase. I suppose it’ll be a few months before we see pics.

Yes, I’m well aware of the popularity of estates/ wagons in Europe, spent some 39 years there. Especially the German brands sell lots of them. Over here you’re more likely to see a corvette than an Audi Avant [emoji1]

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Interesting article about the future of the car buying. Tesla sure is turning the process on its end.

Edit: For some reason it is now paywalled. :( It wasn't when I read it.

It's the worst part of the car experience, even when it's pretty good, it's still not great.

We've purchased a couple of BMWs through their web sales, and there was a still a lot of paperwork, gyrations, nothing beats the no-person-involved click-buy of the Tesla.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
To me an SUV is often times just a wagon with a bit higher roof attempting to look as if it can go off-road. But the industry certainly sold it well.

Yeah, I think there are vehicles out right now, I'd more or less call a "wagon", but they usually have some other label, like CUV, or Crossover.

Top Bottom
1 2