ICE Vehicles: General topics

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I ceramic sprayed my car yesterday and need to apply a second coat this afternoon using a product by Hybrid Solutions. I’ve had the spray a month but in good old Britain we’ve not had 2 consecutive dry days in the last month annoyingly. Happy with the finish and clay barred the paintwork first to get the tar and other debris out.

e1959f97a72ed50b068d14a1446bd480.jpg
Looking good. Looking at my options when I get my i3. Have to say the Golf is being rather neglected until it goes.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Looking good. Looking at my options when I get my i3. Have to say the Golf is being rather neglected until it goes.

I think if I’d paid as much as you have for a car, I’d probably pay £200 and get the car properly ceramic coated. You can do it yourself if you have a garage with good lighting as the ceramic is only about £70. Might be best to pay someone though.

The Hybrid Solutions spray I used is £14ish on Amazon now and is decent. A lot of the big detainers on YouTube rate it highly from their tests and it should last 3 months in a British winter and much longer now the spring and summer is nearly here. It has really good water beading so far.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
BMW offer it as a service. Costs about £350 though.

That’s not too bad but I’m sure there are places that would do it cheaper and may be more thorough. The i3 is a tiny car so it should be fairly cheap to do and would make your new car look cleaner most of the time [emoji1305]

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, so I only had one ICE photo from the NYC Auto Show (see my posts in the General EV thread ...), but it's a good one :)

2022 Ford GT Holman Moody Heritage Edition (left), 1966 Ford GT40 MKII n.5 (right)

IMG_1175_1920.jpg

A little explanation about the significance of the Holman Moody gold and red livery :)

BTW, the 1966 on the right, sold at auction, through Sotheby's in Aug 2018 for $9,795,000 USD :cool:

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did this thread always say ICE, or did the OP change it? You made me look up ICE- internal combustion engine. 😛

Ref 2012 Fiat 500, the dealer has the car, they said it is a bent sway bar as a result of impact. I said I’ve not had any accidents or impacts that I can remember except driving over some spots in the road that make the suspension bottom out. You might remember, I have a lifetime mechanical warranty on this car, but that won’t be covered, $1100 to fix. My local mechanic says he can fix it for $800.

Then the dealer says your drive train bushings are leaking grease. I asked how much is that and they said $4000, but it is covered by your warranty. So far it appears by virtue of the warrant I purchased when the car was new, I’ve dodged some significant bullets. It drives well, and gets good gas milage, but if I had had to pay for these repairs out of pocket, at 50k miles, the car would have been traded in when the engine went.

Of note this:
The Fiat 500 is a small, durable car that can last on average between 200,000 – 250,000 miles when properly maintained and driven conservatively. Based on an annual mileage of 15,000 miles, you can expect 13 – 17 years of service before it breaks down or requires expensive repairs.

Vs this:
Fiat Chrysler vehicles, including Fiat, Dodge, Chrysler and Ram, finished generally near the bottom of the pack, as brand's go. Fiat 500L was the least reliable single model.
Ref: 2012 Fiat 500 Saga:
It was the the front wheel drive CV axels, both of them leaking grease, fixed $4k warranty work. I paid $200. Also the sway bar is reported as slightly bent, not covered due to impact damage. I have no clue what impact that might have been as I’ve had none other than a pot hole or two.

Question about the sway bar, if one is bent is this a safety issue? I opted to allow my neighborhood mechanic to do this repair, for less than it would be as a dealer repair, but is there a rush?

Think about this, the car cost $18k new, I added a $3k Lifetime mechanical warranty and have had about $14k of warranty work done on this car. It’s 10 years old with 50k mikes on it. I like this car for local transportation but would not like it if I had paid the $14k if that warranty had not been in place.

Remember, Fiat pulled the plug on the USA market. Is this car a big seller in Europe? And is it as troubled mechanically in Europe? My car was built in Mexico… so much for an Italian vibe. ;)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting article about automation and a driver, I’ll assume a pro or semi-pro driver complains about it.

I’ll assume that it’s great for average drivers who want to push the car. :)

Now my 94 year old Dad is so anti- automation he traded in a recently acquired 2017 vehicle, a Honda or Nissan something or other for a 2004 because he’d did not like all the buttons. He seems hostile to a button that starts the car and has had a live-hate relationship with his computer for decades.This is how it is for some elderly folks.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Interesting article about automation and a driver, I’ll assume a pro or semi-pro driver complains about it.

Turn them off, have fun, stay out off the wall :)

You start the party in the Golf by pressing the R button on the steering wheel to activate Race mode, then select Drift mode on the center touchscreen. The stability control automatically switches to its more lenient ESC Sport setting, which helps meter torque to sustain a drift, but you can also run with the safety nets and helpers fully disabled for a greater challenge.

I've driven a number of cars that had electronic control/safety/stability systems, and every one had different drive modes, all the way to providing almost nothing. Even my Tesla has a Track Mode where I can even disable AWD.

We've got cars that are plenty sporty, can easily do a weekend HPDE event, but then provide incredibly safety and comfort day to day (where most of our driving occurs). I'm a pretty big enthusiast, and I think all this advancement is outstanding.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This is pretty fun, one last big hurrah for the 300C

Last of a Legend: 6.4L HEMI®-powered 2023 Chrysler 300C Celebrates Iconic Chrysler 300 Model
  • 2023 Chrysler 300C, powered by the 6.4L HEMI® engine, commemorates nearly 70-year legacy of the Chrysler 300
  • Only 2,000 2023 Chrysler 300C vehicles will be produced for the U.S.
  • Chrysler 300 production will end following the 2023 model year
  • From introduction in 1955, return in 2005 and beyond, Chrysler 300 has represented iconic American luxury and forward-looking design for decades
  • 2023 Chrysler 300C sends out the Chrysler 300 on a powerful note, featuring a 6.4L 392-cu.-in. HEMI engine with 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Chrysler 300C reaches 60 mph in just 4.3 seconds and covers the quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds
  • Additional performance features include red four-piston Brembo brakes, a 3.09 limited slip differential, active damping suspension, active exhaust system and black rounded exhaust tips
  • New version of tri-color 300C badge on grille and rear decklid announces unique personality of the limited-production 300C
  • Black Laguna leather front seats sport embossed 300C logo and silver stitching accents
  • 300C interior includes carbon-fiber accents
  • 300C is equipped with premium features, including 19-speaker Harman Kardon audio system, advanced brake assist, Lane Departure Warning Plus, Full Speed Collision Warning Plus and more
  • 2023 Chrysler 300C features a U.S. manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $55,000

@bunnspecial There's the RWD, big ol' V8 you need :D

1663177285492.png

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Guy I work with has just had his first baby. Just traded his VW SUV for a Skoda Octavia sport something or other. I had to laugh when I saw the black and red suede seats. That’s going to be fun!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, I'm seeing all the reviews, etc., but I had to laugh a little at the "price as tested" on a fully loaded (with the Z07 package, 3LZ, etc.) for $162K.

I think the 2LZ without the Z07 at around $115K is probably a "good deal" in terms of package/performance.

Part of the price is the overall ownership experience, and I'm not sure the local Chevy dealer could satisfy. For over $150K you're into a 911 GT3 or a 718 GT4 RS, with the fit, finish, driving and dealer experience of Porsche.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm seeing all the reviews, etc., but I had to laugh a little at the "price as tested" on a fully loaded (with the Z07 package, 3LZ, etc.) for $162K.

I think the 2LZ without the ZZ07 at around $115K is probably a "good deal" in terms of package/performance.

Part of the price is the overall ownership experience, and I'm not sure the local Chevy dealer could satisfy. For over $150K you're into a 911 GT3 or a 718 GT4 RS, with the fit, finish, driving and dealer experience of Porsche.

If I can ever afford it, 2LZ without Z07 package is what I would get. I want it just for the engine.

I just hope GM plans to produce this car for 10+ years.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If I can ever afford it, 2LZ without Z07 package is what I would get. I want it just for the engine.

I just hope GM plans to produce this car for 10+ years.

Have they talked about their roadmap? I really wonder what GM will look like in 10 years.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Have they talked about their roadmap? I really wonder what GM will look like in 10 years.

They are all in with the electrification of their lineup.

I think their stated goal is 2035 or so as all EV. I am sure the Corvette will be the among the last to transition over( outside of the upcoming hybrid model coming for the C8). But outside of that, no clue when they plan to sunset the C8 generation.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
@DT What has been your experience with ordering Corvette's?

I understand the waitlist for the Z06 is crazy long right now. I probably won't be in position to afford the car until 2026-2027. I don't mind waiting obviously, but do you see this craze for the car to cool down eventually?

People have been on waitlists for it since 2019. Feels like this is more Ferrari territory now where if you are not on the list now, you won't be getting one.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was buying when there wasn't this mix of limited availability + buyer insanity :D When I ordered my Z06, it just got put in as an order and moved through the system as expected.

I guess maybe I'd get onto a list now, with some low deposit ($1K or less, an refundable would be nice), and just figure by the time your option comes up to buy/order, you'll be in a position to do so (i.e., it'll be a few years).

That being said, I suspect, given the price (including insurance, consumables) and usability (2-seater, RWD, limited storage), the market segment is pretty small. It's pretty much in the "old retired white guy" price range at $100K or more, I bet there's a surge for about 2 years - you know, assuming they are able to build them at full capacity (I saw something about the first model year being limited to about 500 units[?]). Then a reasonable availability (with that assumption) starting in year 3 or 4 - so I suppose if you're at least 4 years out, being on an order list might not even be necessary.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, GT500 cancelled, not in the '23 order system (and this had been rumored anyway), so only 3 model years (20-22).

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I was buying when there wasn't this mix of limited availability + buyer insanity :D When I ordered my Z06, it just got put in as an order and moved through the system as expected.

I guess maybe I'd get onto a list now, with some low deposit ($1K or less, an refundable would be nice), and just figure by the time your option comes up to buy/order, you'll be in a position to do so (i.e., it'll be a few years).

That being said, I suspect, given the price (including insurance, consumables) and usability (2-seater, RWD, limited storage), the market segment is pretty small. It's pretty much in the "old retired white guy" price range at $100K or more, I bet there's a surge for about 2 years - you know, assuming they are able to build them at full capacity (I saw something about the first model year being limited to about 500 units[?]). Then a reasonable availability (with that assumption) starting in year 3 or 4 - so I suppose if you're at least 4 years out, being on an order list might not even be necessary.

I am reading the dealer I would want to use closed their list down after it hit 1800 last year........ With people being told who got on the list in 2020 and 2021 expect 2-4 years already.

We shall see...... If isn't meant to be, it isn't meant to be. If a regular C8 is all I can obtain, that's fine.

The C8 is really shaping up to be unlike any other previous Corvette in every fashion especially with supply chain issues. Sounds like GM won't be able to get Bowling Green at full speed any time soon. Or their intended goal with the Z06. I am just hoping the C8 sees a C6 like production run vs C7 production run. Which I suspect it will. Last ICE gen of the 'Vette, etc.

And I rather miss out on it vs putting my name on a list and having to cancel it due to my projections being off/wrong. I only want to order it when I know my salary can support it.

Top Bottom
1 2