idiots on the road.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I made Facebook page with videos of idiots on the road or such. I will most videos here if people want to see. if so here is the first.
I almost never see a right hook anymore people wait for me. but not thins guy and no turn signal. if you like these let me know.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
There are hundreds of videos like this on YouTube. Since dash cams are so common these days, source material is endless. Sub-genres include incidents that resulted in accidents, videos from truck cabs, "instant karma" sequences where a driver does something illegal and is pulled over soon thereafter, and even mishaps where truckers think they can sneak through a railroad crossing (the train always wins).

I admit these are fascinating to watch, and they've made me more defensive and careful behind the wheel. Many collisions occur at intersections where people either go through a red light or turn even though they can't avoid oncoming traffic, so I've become much more wary approaching them.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I made Facebook page with videos of idiots on the road or such. I will most videos here if people want to see. if so here is the first.
I almost never see a right hook anymore people wait for me. but not thins guy and no turn signal. if you like these let me know.

Your video isn’t viewable.
Personally I bought a dash cam after I got assaulted in a road rage incident.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I see enough idiots driving on the roads around here in the Washington, DC area -- no need to look at videos of idiots in other places! That said, yes, it is truly concerning that at times it seems that people are too casual (careless!) and that often they really do not seem to be paying full attention when they are at the wheel of a very powerful vehicle which can easily kill or injure someone else, or do significant damage to another vehicle.

The county where I live has been adding bicycle lanes here-and-there in an effort to encourage and support bicycling as opposed to someone always driving a car somewhere, but frankly, I wouldn't feel safe riding a bike on one of those, as we just have too many nutty, irresponsible drivers of cars in this area. Years ago I did love bicycling to work when for a while I lived within reasonable biking distance of my workplace and had a nice bike path (part of a county-wide walking trail) to use so that I wasn't on any roads with vehicular traffic for very long, but I sure as heck wouldn't attempt to do even that these days.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
I see enough idiots driving on the roads around here in the Washington, DC area -- no need to look at videos of idiots in other places! That said, yes, it is truly concerning that at times it seems that people are too casual (careless!) and that often they really do not seem to be paying full attention when they are at the wheel of a very powerful vehicle which can easily kill or injure someone else, or do significant damage to another vehicle.

The county where I live has been adding bicycle lanes here-and-there in an effort to encourage and support bicycling as opposed to someone always driving a car somewhere, but frankly, I wouldn't feel safe riding a bike on one of those, as we just have too many nutty, irresponsible drivers of cars in this area. Years ago I did love bicycling to work when for a while I lived within reasonable biking distance of my workplace and had a nice bike path (part of a county-wide walking trail) to use so that I wasn't on any roads with vehicular traffic for very long, but I sure as heck wouldn't attempt to do even that these days.

I often ride my bike, and we've been biking my son to school regularly. It's become abundantly clear that a chunk of the population are negligent assholes, and they nearly all drive the same few vehicles—lifted Dodge Rams, along with most Mercedes SUVs are invariably driven by sociopaths.

That said, biking around remains a great bit of joy for me. Getting my son back from school in the afternoon gives us both a needed break in the day, and we often take a detour to get snacks. Last week, we took a long detour and got donuts and took the streetcar back because it was raining. (I will ride in the rain, but the kid gets cold and miserable.)

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interestingly enough in today's Washington Post there was an article about e-bikes and how they can sometimes be dangerous, too, especially when ridden at too-fast speeds in areas where they are not even supposed to be used at all.
I see more gas powered things on our bike paths as a issue. The pandemic brought out so many bad cyclists on regular bikes it was crazy.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough in today's Washington Post there was an article about e-bikes and how they can sometimes be dangerous, too, especially when ridden at too-fast speeds in areas where they are not even supposed to be used at all.
This is one reason I'm not against the "three class" model legislation which makes it a bit easier to outline a couple categories and the rules around them. E-bikes as a category spans the stuff that can get passed easily by someone on a working road bike, to the unrestricted stuff that gets into the range of a gas powered mini-bike. That's a wide swath, to be honest. And I really don't want to see e-bikes as a whole get painted by the brush of folks on the unrestricted bikes causing problems, or the idea that an idiot on a class 1 e-bike is somehow fundamentally different than an idiot on a bike. Yes e-bikes are heavier, but the rider is still by far the bulk of the weight, even more so in the US.

For me, my joints are bad enough that having the assist of a mid-drive helps take some the strain off my knees and lets me go on rides I couldn't otherwise. I would really not want to lose that because of aggressive restrictions in the face of people being idiots.

Thankfully, I don't see a lot of problems on the MUPs I ride on in terms of user conflicts. But I'm also constantly getting passed by road bikes doing 20mph when the speed limit is marked at 15mph. And there's some fun issues with that where I do see cyclists deciding that yielding is for suckers. E-bikes don't fundamentally make it better or worse, as it is road behavior that's the underlying problem.

I see more gas powered things on our bike paths as a issue. The pandemic brought out so many bad cyclists on regular bikes it was crazy.

I have seen a few small motorbikes on our local MUPs lately. Usually young teens. But so far the close encounters I have had are all road bikes. The kind where weight is so important, they leave off the bell, and don't even bother to say "on your left" because it might cause them to slow down a little to breathe, and yielding is unacceptable for the same reason.

Most of the cyclists and other path users I run across are just cruising on a nice afternoon.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
There are hundreds of videos like this on YouTube. Since dash cams are so common these days, source material is endless. Sub-genres include incidents that resulted in accidents, videos from truck cabs, "instant karma" sequences where a driver does something illegal and is pulled over soon thereafter, and even mishaps where truckers think they can sneak through a railroad crossing (the train always wins).

I admit these are fascinating to watch, and they've made me more defensive and careful behind the wheel. Many collisions occur at intersections where people either go through a red light or turn even though they can't avoid oncoming traffic, so I've become much more wary approaching them.
The Tesla has 6 (I think) camera angles that are constantly recording and any time you witness something you can press the record button and it automatically takes the last 10 minutes from the bugger and writes it to the memory stick in your glove compartment, all very next level and cool. Even if people do stupid little things I'll still record just to look back and laugh.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Thank gawd we'll have autonomous driving long before we get our flying cars. Can you imagine the mayhem if we allowed people to drive with a 3rd dimension to navigate? :eek:

As an aside - I did pen a letter to Bezos a few years ago that, as they had high ambitions of delivering packages via drones, and the FAA is woefully inadequate to police / manage this consumer airspace (and flying cars will follow one day soon and also need a guiding hand), that they should establish a national (and international) standard / service / control for this usage - ideally using enhanced AI to manage these complex traffic patterns...and...of course...call it Skynet. :D

I'm sure someone at Amazon likely got a chuckle out of that. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
As an aside - I did pen a letter to Bezos a few years ago that, as they had high ambitions of delivering packages via drones, and the FAA is woefully inadequate to police / manage this consumer airspace (and flying cars will follow one day soon and also need a guiding hand), that they should establish a national (and international) standard / service / control for this usage - ideally using enhanced AI to manage these complex traffic patterns...and...of course...call it Skynet. :D

All this time we've been blaming Miles Dyson and it was actually your fault ...

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Although I have read this thread, every time I see the title I can't help myself from thinking it is about Ohio drivers. :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
The Tesla has 6 (I think) camera angles that are constantly recording and any time you witness something you can press the record button and it automatically takes the last 10 minutes from the bugger and writes it to the memory stick in your glove compartment, all very next level and cool. Even if people do stupid little things I'll still record just to look back and laugh.
My BMW has a similar feature called Drive Recorder. It captures video from up to four cameras and saves them automatically if an accident is detected. Recording can also be initiated by the driver. Unfortunately, the recording length is limited to 20 seconds before and after a triggering event. I also got a dash cam that constantly records video from the front. I think these features have become a necessity with so many bad drivers, hit-and-runs, and insurance scams.

Top Bottom
1 2