If Chauvin had murdered a pretty blond white lady from the suburbs with an Oxycontin addiction would Republicans be more likely to convict?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Probably, because their poll response is racist as hell. But then again I know a few people who seem to think that the cops are never in the wrong—who would say, “Well, she must have done something to have it come out this way.”

Scepticalscribe

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score

No.

Not necessarily. Men kill women daily, and their actions are frequently shrugged off, explained away or are excused.

To my mind, gender would only arise (as a motivation for conviction) in such a situation if Chauvin himself was black, if he was was African-American, or, if the lady was both white and - and the "and" is of considerable importance here - impeccably middle class.

To me, the more interesting question arises when we take a look at that Venn diagram intersection of ultimate privilege: White, male, and middle class.

Now, if Chauvin had killed someone who was 1) white, 2) male, and 3) middle class, then, yes, we might see some expression of Republican outrage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom