If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

U

User.191

Read about an artist by the name of Rebecca Lucy Taylor in the Guardian who’s reinventing herself after a somewhat acrimonious split from the band “Slow Club”.

Now going by “Self Esteem” I’ve been listening to her album “Compliments Please”

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Read about an artist by the name of Rebecca Lucy Taylor in the Guardian who’s reinventing herself after a somewhat acrimonious split from the band “Slow Club”.

Now going by “Self Esteem” I’ve been listening to her album “Compliments Please”

She sounds like a more concentrated sip of what one occasionally got via sarcasm in a few lines of some of the songs of the Brazilian band CSS (Cansei de ser Sexy... = Tired of Beng Sexy). I always loved this bit from the track "Off the Hook" in their 2005 eponymous album:

yeah you were right this is really fun​
(i never got this dumb before)​
... but Self Esteem is leaving all that behind and going for just saying what she wants and figures is fine, no checking w/ anyone else is required,

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Some haunting music from Amaru III (presumably named for the legendary revolutionary and folk hero Tupac Amaru) - a group from the (Peruvian) highlands of South America.

M

Member 216

1627304756845.png

D

Deleted member 215

I've been listening to a lot of retro-sounding indie music lately. This one is my latest earworm:

I'm No Good - Summer Twins

(At first I thought this was a cover of a 50s song it sounded so much like one).

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm back to playing Mozart as if it were winter or spring instead of my usual rolls more towards blues, rock, pop during summer. That's because we're having a cool and sometimes rainy summer... it's only 58ºF in my living room now, because I had left the damn kitchen windows open too late again after the sun overcame some rainshowers before nightfall. Time to head up and listen to an audiobook under the covers!

Anyway earlier today it was a bunch of Mozart piano concertos, the later ones, like the 23 (Perahia), 25 (Anderszewski) and 27 (Uchido). Sparkling like sun shining through the rain...

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A few songs from The Lightning Seeds: All I Want; Perfect; What If; You Showed Me; Sense; Change; Waiting For Today To Happen; and The Life Of Riley.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I've been listening to a lot of retro-sounding indie music lately. This one is my latest earworm:

I'm No Good - Summer Twins

(At first I thought this was a cover of a 50s song it sounded so much like one).

Oh yeah, that was excellent. I dig on that 50's vibe, this is a terrific band - The Regrettes - they're kind of a "Riot Grrrl"/punk-pop, 3/4ths all girl band, great sound, lyrics, attitude, they tip into that same sound on occasion, like this song:

You're talkin' to me like I'm dumb
Well I've got news, I've got a lot to say
There's nothing you can do to take that away
You're talkin' to me like I'm hurt
At least I'm not six feet in the dirt
And I'll still kick your ass even in my skirt
You're talkin' to me like a child
But I'm not a helpless baby
Not waitin' on you to come save me

I'm like nobody else, so you can just go fuck yourself
:D

Another good one:

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that was excellent. I dig on that 50's vibe, this is a terrific band - The Regrettes - they're kind of a "Riot Grrrl"/punk-pop, 3/4ths all girl band, great sound, lyrics, attitude, they tip into that same sound on occasion, like this song:

You're talkin' to me like I'm dumb
Well I've got news, I've got a lot to say
There's nothing you can do to take that away
You're talkin' to me like I'm hurt
At least I'm not six feet in the dirt
And I'll still kick your ass even in my skirt
You're talkin' to me like a child
But I'm not a helpless baby
Not waitin' on you to come save me

I'm like nobody else, so you can just go fuck yourself
:D

Another good one:

My introduction to them was Fox on the Run.

Today, though, I was once again entranced with The Divinyls from back a bit.

Top Bottom
1 2