If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Soundtrack from The Blues Brothers (1980 film). So fine.

Blues Brothers - cover.jpg
Blues Brothers - track list.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
And most recently Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. Used them to stay awake while letting a batch of lentil soup cool enough to put away in the fridge... can't believe I went on a cooking spree so late into the evening. Anyway the Brandenburgs are jaunty works indeed and served well to keep me entertained as long as necessary. G'night all!

brandenburg concerti - album art.png

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Ah, my brother - Other Brother on these threads - loves that soundtrack (and movie), which he introduced me to.
And most recently Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. Used them to stay awake while letting a batch of lentil soup cool enough to put away in the fridge... can't believe I went on a cooking spree so late into the evening. Anyway the Brandenburgs are jaunty works indeed and served well to keep me entertained as long as necessary. G'night all!

Always superb.

The Days Of Pearly Spencer - David McWilliams is currently playing as I type this.

lizkat

Reaction score
Tonight, Fauré's complete nocturnes, thirteen of them, written between 1875 and 1921 with opus numbers ranging from 33 to 119. I like collections like that, where one can hear how the composer has taken the form up over a very long timeline. The performances are by British pianist Charles Owen. For some reason I have never played these myself and still don't know them well, so it's a different sort of listening experience.

Fauré nocturnes Charles Owens album art.jpg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Tonight, Fauré's complete nocturnes, thirteen of them, written between 1875 and 1921 with opus numbers ranging from 33 to 119. I like collections like that, where one can hear how the composer has taken the form up over a very long timeline. The performances are by British pianist Charles Owen. For some reason I have never played these myself and still don't know them well, so it's a different sort of listening experience.

I used to have an LP of Chopin nocturnes that I loved to listen to in the evenings. I am not familiar with Fauré’s though. Thanks - I will take a listen.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Guy has a discography one couldn't even dream of 50 years ago. Who said "classical" music is dead?
An amazing and quite wonderful catalogue of music; and one I return to again and again. Music for the soul.

Actually, I should have been more precise: Just now, I am listening to a superb concert (recorded on May 13, 2015 in Amsterdam) which was given by Jordi Savall (viola da gamba) & Xavier Díaz-Latorre (Renaissance guitar and theorbo).

Anyway, I could happily die and head to whatever afterlife exists (or doesn't, as the case may be) with this exquisite music echoing in my ears.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Our little G was surprisingly into this movie. It's a fave of mine, my peer group (the folks around my age, film geeks, etc.), but a 13 year little girl into K-pop? Hahaha, outstanding!

"Who's that? OMG, I love her!"

(It was Aretha Franklin :love: )

lizkat

Reaction score
Our little G was surprisingly into this movie. It's a fave of mine, my peer group (the folks around my age, film geeks, etc.), but a 13 year little girl into K-pop? Hahaha, outstanding!

"Who's that? OMG, I love her!"

(It was Aretha Franklin :love: )

They sure help her roll out an unforgettable performance of Think in that film. Heh, lyrics for our time too.

excerpt lyrics of Think.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, she's now also hip to why I sometimes say I'm going to order "4 fried chickens and a Coke" (usually the wife chimes in with, "I'll probably have some dry, white toast ..."

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Lute Duo (a very accomplished pair of musicians, who play, respectively, a Renaissance guitar and a theorbo) with their gorgeous sequence Baroque Insight.

lizkat

Reaction score
Ah, wonderful.

I love the music of Alexandre Desplat (and have the soundtracks of Fantastic Mr Fox and Grand Hotel Budapest on CD, and on my computer and my mp3 player).

I'm really quite a fan of Desplat's soundtracks. So far I've collected The Painted Veil, Girl with a Pearl Earring, The Queen, The Special Relationship and Syriana.

I like that I can either listen to them with full attention or as background when I'm reading or working in my studio.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm really quite a fan of Desplat's soundtracks. So far I've collected The Painted Veil, Girl with a Pearl Earring, The Queen, The Special Relationship and Syriana.

I like that I can either listen to them with full attention or as background when I'm reading or working in my studio.

Absolutely spot on, and very well said.

Which of those soundtracks would you especially recommend?

Top Bottom
1 2