If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
He: your hairstyle reminds me of Star Trek. I like it a lot.
She: who is your favourite captain?
He: The Cisco.
She: Out!

That’s what really happened. [emoji41]

Wow.

Hardcore man, fucking hardcore ...

we-ought-put-up-the-congressional-medal-of.webp

U

User.45

Ornette Coleman's Shape of Jazz to come (1959). One of the first vinyls I've purchased and maaan, this is something else.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Georgian (folk & dance) music (that is, Caucasus Georgia): A group known as Sukhishvili, an astonishing and brilliant group that I had the privilege of seeing play live on a number of occasions in Tbilisi.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A few tracks from Suede, among them: The Wild Ones, Obsessions, Stay Together, New Generation, We Are The Pigs, and Saturday Night.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A few tracks from Suede, among them: The Wild Ones, Obsessions, Stay Together, New Generation, We Are The Pigs, and Saturday Night.

As always, it's like I'm in the Matrix ...

So you posted this a few days ago, I was reading through this thread, today, and thought "Yeah, Suede, I haven't listened to anything by them in forever", so I hop out to Apple Music, they have a nice Essentials:

1643752551757.png

I add it to my music for a later listen. Great post!

So now is where it gets __weird__.

A few minutes later I fire up The Watch, a favorite Podcast of mine that discusses TV shows, the just released episode, at ~6:00 in ... they're talking about Suede. Not the two scheduled topics, it somehow got into the music scene, NY, wearing purple shirts and the band Suede.

o_O

U

User.45

Used to light an incense, some candles and dive into my books while listening to this.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Free HD livestream tonight (starts 7:45 EST) from Detroit Symphony Orchestra - program includes Beethoven's 7th Symphony.

edited on the time, duh... still standard not daylight saving... you can tell where my mind is going.

The trumpet concerto by Alexander Arutiunian is wonderful, I had not heard that before,

Last edited:

chengengaun

Slightly Confused
Site Donor
Reaction score
FT reported that Munich Philharmonic sacked Valery Gergiev as chief conductor. Not surprising, actually.

Valery Gergiev, the world-renowned Russian maestro, was sacked from his position as chief conductor of Munich Philharmonic over his refusal to condemn President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Gergiev, a longtime supporter of Putin and controversial figure in the cultural world, has been sidelined from a string of performances and concert halls across Europe and the US as international pushback against the Russian invasion moves into the cultural sphere.

In New York City, neither Gergiev nor pianist Denis Matsuev, another prominent Putin supporter, performed at the famed Carnegie Hall last weekend.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
FT reported that Munich Philharmonic sacked Valery Gergiev as chief conductor. Not surprising, actually.

Not the only change in the world of classical music. The Metropolitan Opera and Anna Netrebko have also parted ways... she will not sing at the Met this season nor next.

Anna Netrebko, the superstar Russian soprano, will no longer appear at the Metropolitan Opera this season or next after failing to comply with the company’s demand that she distance herself from President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia as he wages war on Ukraine.

The end of Ms. Netrebko’s engagements, which the Met announced on Thursday, came after the opera company, citing Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, said it would no longer hire artists who support Mr. Putin. While Ms. Netrebko has in recent days issued statements critical of the war, she has remained silent on the Russian president, whose re-election she has in the past endorsed.

While the announcement on Thursday encompassed only two seasons, Mr. Gelb said in an interview on Thursday that it seemed unlikely Ms. Netrebko would ever come back to sing with the company.

“It’s hard to imagine a scenario in which she will return to the Met,” he said.

Ms. Netrebko’s break with the Met, where she has sung nearly 200 performances over the past 20 years and became the reigning prima donna, was a stunning turnaround for one of the world’s biggest opera stars. She has expressed support for Mr. Putin at times over the years, and in 2014 she was photographed holding a flag used by Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine.

Her departure from America’s largest performing arts institution came amid a broader backlash against some Russian artists for their ties to Mr. Putin — one that has raised difficult questions about how far arts organizations should go in requiring public declarations from artists.

Top Bottom
1 2