If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
That is absolutely lovely; this is an artist whose work I have never come across before.

Delbert McClinton has been and remains for me an interesting performer and songwriter, an accomplished musician and it all shows up in his work. I am not a fan of "country music" in general, but I do really, really like some of McClinton's blues-side ballads, the ones that spin out a whole story you can surely believe happened to somebody somewhere. That one sounded pretty real to me.

lizkat

Reaction score
Some Tracy Chapman tonight, tracks from her 1988 eponymous album.

Tracy Chapman (1988).jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
OK all you Pearl Jam fans, livestream video of the 2016 Ten concert coming up Thursday through Saturday -- it was one of two times ever where they played the whole 1991 album and bonus tracks live, a show that ran over three hours.

Now, the band is using the 2016 Ten show as a focal point in its political initiative PJ Votes 2020, which encourages fans to vote by mail in swing states expected to determine the winner of the presidential election, with a focus on Pennsylvania.

On Thursday — the 30th anniversary of the band’s first performance ever — Pearl Jam will air a video stream of the 32-song, three-hour-plus show on nugs.TV, the live-music platform run by Elkins Park-raised partners Brad Serling and Jon Michael Richter.

The video, filmed with 11 HD cameras and mixed by Pearl Jam producer Josh Evans, will be available for $14.99 and can be watched anytime between 8 p.m. Thursday and midnight on Saturday.

You don't like Pearl Jam? Can always just watch the on-again off-again final presidential (or un-presidential) debate on Thursday. Somehow I might manage to make room for both by fetching up that concert after my Saturday chores.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
"And these three men made a solemn vow: John Barleycorn was dead."

my favourite rendition. when Capaldi comes in on tambourine, i shiver.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Right now enjoying the Met's broadcast of Philip Glass' opera Satyagraha

Link… It is Free to stream. But be quick only available until 6pm New York time.

I never tire of this wonderful music. Inevitably I am left sobbing quietly into my hanky at the last scene.

Highly. Highly recommended if you like Philip Glass.

1604325129149.png

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Right now enjoying the Met's broadcast of Philip Glass' opera Satyagraha

Link… It is Free to stream. But be quick only available until 6pm New York time.

I never tire of this wonderful music. Inevitably I am left sobbing quietly into my hanky at the last scene.

Highly. Highly recommended if you like Philip Glass.

View attachment 1090

I love the music of Philip Glass; but only for when I am in certain, specific, moods.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
I love the music of Philip Glass; but only for when I am in certain, specific, moods.
Luckily I found him at a very early age, so he has something for each of my moods… and oh boy, can I be moody! :D

Him and Beethoven put me in mind of Lily Bollinger's quote: "I drink champagne when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty."

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Luckily I found him at a very early age, so he has something for each of my moods… and oh boy, can I be moody! :D

Him and Beethoven put me in mind of Lily Bollinger's quote: "I drink champagne when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty."

Lovely quote, and I see what you mean by including Philip Glass in such a sentence and such a sentiment with the addition of Beethoven.

For me, Beethoven is a "winter" composer - I rarely feel the need to want to listen to him in summer.

And, Philip Glass is the same; when I am moody (and yes, I can be moody, too), bad-tempered, depressed, gloomy, sorrowful, angry, and fiercely joyful - the music of Philip Glass resonates with me; in fact, his music confirms - emphatically - whatever prior mood (of these already mentioned) I am already feeling.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Though I'm a few days late with this, Halloween invariably gets me into the mood for Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain". I prefer the orchestral version, although I have heard it performed for piano. I like them both. The piano version is a nice departure from what most people are more familiar with.

Like much music I know, I came to it by way of movies. As a young man I saw a fun but cheesy (in a "Tales from the Crypt" kind of way) horror movie called "Asylum". "Night on Bald Mountain" accompanies the opening credits as we see a young psychiatrist arrive at the institution in question.

Shortly thereafter we see the same psychiatrist heading upstairs, reacting with disgust to old illustrations depicting mistreatment of the mentally ill. That scene is scored with "Gnomus" from "Pictures at an Exhibition".

Both pieces are a great match of music and imagery, and probably the best parts of the film.

lizkat

Reaction score
Emily King's East Side Story album as I drift off to a short night's sleep... trying to remember how to sleep fast and wake up smart. Not that simple when you're not 20-something any more. Planning to wake up to the Allman Brothers' Sweet Melissa, nice 'n' easy.

Emily King - East Side Story.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
Baroque it's my favorite period. I just have to go on record as staying I find Vivaldi repetitive and unoriginal.

Hey just because Vivaldi wrote the same concerto grosso 500 times doesn't mean he's repetitive and unoriginal, whassamatta w/ u? :p

I'm ok w/ his stuff only in the sense it's so predictable I can work while listening to it and NEVER end up distracted by some discovery as in other Baroque works like oh wow never realized another voice pops in there right before before the modulation. No. But it's not elevator music so I like it for background. My brain listens for a couple minutes and must figure Vivaldi is not a threat, so surely it's ok to ignore it.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Baroque it's my favorite period. I just have to go on record as staying I find Vivaldi repetitive and unoriginal.

Hey just because Vivaldi wrote the same concerto grosso 500 times doesn't mean he's repetitive and unoriginal, whassamatta w/ u? :p

I'm ok w/ his stuff only in the sense it's so predictable I can work while listening to it and NEVER end up distracted by some discovery as in other Baroque works like oh wow never realized another voice pops in there right before before the modulation. No. But it's not elevator music so I like it for background. My brain listens for a couple minutes and must figure Vivaldi is not a threat, so surely it's ok to ignore it.
Thems fighting words! ;)

I am no huge fan of the Baroque. My musical era is the 19th Century with Mahler and Richard Strauss taking me in to the early 20th.

But! I will always fight Vivaldi's corner. I am an unashamed admirer of Vivaldi's inventiveness. And no, that doesn't mean just the Four Seasons.
Personally, I much prefer Vivaldi to Bach with his dreary religious mania. The album covers influence me probably; Need a Bach album cover? Check our stock of suffering Christs nailed to a piece of wood and choose one. Done and dusted.
It is a philosophical world view I have not much stomach for.

Bach apparently liked him well enough to *cough* transcribe (read copy) his concertos. It is known now that Bach transcribed 11 Vivaldi concertos.

Now Antonio Vivaldi? Lots of sunshine and wine and song and dancing and Venetian mists over the lagoon… Life.

Stravinsky said famously Vivaldi wrote the same concerto 400 times over and the slander stuck. Ever since then people have just taken it for granted and repeated it. Because, yeah, Igor. Also bear in mind that when Stravinsky said that Vivaldi had only recently been rediscovered (1959). Not a lot was known about his music.

Give him another try. Stray beyond the Four Seasons and listen to the HIP orchestras. They do magic.

He is directly emotional and that is no bad thing. Sure, he is fond of using circular progressions. But more often than not he uses these themes in a very creative way.

Now, Mozart? Goodness knows, he is yawn inducing! Apart from the last few symphonies, Don Giovanni and Nozze di Figaro? I give him a miss.

I'll now go and have a lie down.

:D

Last edited:

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
This is a superb new recording. A reminder that Russia is not just evil Putin and cronies.

A genuinely fresh HIP view of Beethoven's Violin Concerto

Some recordings feature a piano in the cadenza. (I think Harnoncourt and Gidon Kremer were the first)
This recording however goes further and has a fortepiano as an obligato right through. Not intrusively, but an added voice. It is very effective.

Needless to say it has divided "critics". But then, what do they know?

My gut and ears say: "I like this! Give me more." Though, I am also prone to finishing a box of Marrons Glacé or Mozart Kugeln. so my "good taste" is not infallible. :cool:

Dmitry Sinkovsky Soloist
Orchestra: Musica Viva

1604656580302.png

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Po' Girl... Mercy -- from 2004 album Vagabond Lullabies

I was headed for the border, trying to get back on my feet
Though the nights were getting colder, I remember the heat.
My desire burning like a flame, like the desert wants rain
Calling like a freight train, coming back to you again.

And I say mercy , mercy me, I can't get no peace;
I say mercy, mercy me, I can't get no peace

I was feeling so much older, this wicked world seemed cruel and hard
'Til I laid my weary shoulders on a bed of California stars.
Was it something in the moonlight ? Souls were stirring up the air
Waves were washing on the shoreline, there was magic everywhere.

And I say mercy , mercy me, I can't get no peace;
I say mercy, mercy me, I can't get no peace.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Can't steal all memory even when most of it has slipped away

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1325876653650800640/

That is beautiful.
I often wonder that, if I do slip down the dementia route, hopefully there will be someone kind enough to play music for me. I never doubt its power to heal — even if just in the moment — and the flashes of "in the room" memory it brings so often.

Beautiful, bitter-sweet, brilliant, haunting and heart-breaking all at once. Lovely.

My mother always responded positively to music, her face would light up, and, as ABBA - which she loved - put a smile on her face (she would sometimes try to conduct to the music when in an especially sunny mood) we had ABBA playing almost non-stop for the last few years of her life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2