If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

MarkusL

Power User
Reaction score
Currently I can't get enough of Laibach, Slovenia's greatest cultural export (sorry Melania). Check out these audience reactions!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
And, a few from Genesis.

Earlier tonight, my brother phoned me. Spotify (something I have never used) suggested to him the track "I Know What I Like" by Genesis, and he remembered that I really liked that track (and that group) and so, with that in mind, he phoned me.

So, before I listen to that track, I am playing Mama, by Genesis.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Total escapism here... Mexican vocalist Fey singing Aire, a seemingly gauzy dance track from her 2005 album Fuerza del Destino, a tribute to the '90s Spanish synthpop group Mecano... although Mecano's lyric somewhat gainsays the tossed-off effect of the song as Fey performs it. But never mind, whatever it takes to let me pin another couple yards of binding onto a project to move it towards the done pile... and clear all politics from my mind for awhile.

lizkat

Reaction score
And more gettin' away from it all... a hop across the pond and back aways

Lily Allen  - Alright, Still.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
Fave end-of-playlist song for a friend who was still sometimes afraid of the dark as an adult. Thinking about him tonight and wondering how the heck people like that make it through covid lockups by themselves. Music has to help, I only hope it comes to mind when it's needed.

lizkat

Reaction score
Hopping across the pond again... Muse: Butterflies and Hurricanes from the 2003 album Absolution.

Change everything you are
And everything you were
Your number has been called

Fights and battles have begun
Revenge will surely come
Your hard times are ahead

Best, you've got to be the best
You've got to change the world
And use this chance to be heard
Your time is now

Change everything you are
And everything you were
Your number has been called

Fights and battles have begun
Revenge will surely come
Your hard times are ahead

Your time is now

Dont let yourself down
And dont let yourself go
Your last chance has arrived

Your time is now

lizkat

Reaction score
Ah, I love the expression "potty-mouthed"; so descriptive and expressive, without, in itself, being either coarse, crude, or, indeed, "potty-mouthed."
It does manage that... I have liked a fair number of Allen's songs whether or not she was letting the potty mouth take over. She has sung -- as confession, satire, critique, take yer pick-- about matters in relationships that in real life can be difficult to confess to, or to confront, either in oneself or in a partner... or moving farther away, in a family member, colleague, acquaintance.

When I first heard her, I was about as taken aback as when listening to a few of Thea Gilmore's songs. Not taken aback by the songs themselves, or the choice of coarse language, but my 'oh yeah!" identification with the feelings of the various persona in the songs.

That said, I might not be happy if I heard some of Lily Allen's offerings issuing from the music app on a sub-teen kin's computing gear. But I grew up in an era where a lot of things were left to the imagination for far longer, and where some things were at most left in double-entendre mode, or just not sung about at all, at least not in country or early rock genre. Jazz and blues were sometimes more explicit, but a fair number of those were "coded" references as well. And maybe that was just as well.

Plenty of time to discover potty mouth has its place on occasion... just not in as many times and places as one might begin to assume as time goes on. And that is the real problem in overindulging in such language, even in private. My aunt once counseled me when I dropped an F-bomb after pinsticking myself while fixing a skirt hem in her presence, "I'd save that one for when you drop a skillet on your slippered foot in the kitchen... it's bound to happen sometime, my dear, and how disappointing not to have reserved a suitably emphatic word for that situation."

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Plenty of time to discover potty mouth has its place on occasion... just not in as many times and places as one might begin to assume as time goes on. And that is the real problem in overindulging in such language, even in private. My aunt once counseled me when I dropped an F-bomb after pinsticking myself while fixing a skirt hem in her presence, "I'd save that one for when you drop a skillet on your slippered foot in the kitchen... it's bound to happen sometime, my dear, and how disappointing not to have reserved a suitably emphatic word for that situation."
Brilliant; I love the quote from your aunt.

And quite right, too.

Such terms should be used sparingly, judiciously, perhaps parsimoniously, which will serve to give them greater weight and heft when someone does give voice to them.

Top Bottom
1 2