If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Running on Empty, by Fontaine.

Heard this song on a Justified episode today. Pretty Mazzy Starr-y which is a good thing to me. Goddamn, I love Justified.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Tennessee Traveler, performed by the late and legendary dobro player MIke Auldrich and equally talented friends, from his eponymous album of 1992. Bluegrass is the thing for snapping out of November greys...

lizkat

Reaction score
It's Beethoven's birthday, but I'm playing selections from Jack Johnson. Could be the tropical album cover.

Jack Johnson -  On and On.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
That album cover is absolutely gorgeous.

And, tropical or not, to my mind (ear?) Beethoven is a winter composer.

Well if the ghost of Beethoven is offended on his birthday by our not having played enough of his music all year, I guess this would be the day to show his hand lol. I thought for awhile of playing the Pastoral symphony to try to placate him but figured probably too late for that since the snow is arriving, so went with Hawaiian-influenced stuff instead.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Well if the ghost of Beethoven is offended on his birthday by our not having played enough of his music all year, I guess this would be the day to show his hand lol. I thought for awhile of playing the Pastoral symphony to try to placate him but figured probably too late for that since the snow is arriving, so went with Hawaiian-influenced stuff instead.

My mother loved the Pastoral symphony, and told me that it was her favourite when she was young.

lizkat

Reaction score
Tonight the Horn Suite in F from Handel's Water Music. Weird to pick that on a night when if there's any water around here it's frozen solid, but my eye fell on it in passing so here I am, transported in my imagination to a summer night on the Thames:

From the link: The first performance of the Water Music is recorded in The Daily Courant, the first British daily newspaper. At about 8 p.m. on Wednesday, 17 July 1717, King George I and several aristocrats boarded a royal barge at Whitehall Palace, for an excursion up the Thames toward Chelsea. The rising tide propelled the barge upstream without rowing. Another barge, provided by the City of London, contained about 50 musicians who performed Handel's music. Many other Londoners also took to the river to hear the concert. According to The Courant, "the whole River in a manner was covered" with boats and barges. On arriving at Chelsea, the king left his barge, then returned to it at about 11 p.m. for the return trip. The king was so pleased with Water Music that he ordered it to be repeated at least three times, both on the trip upstream to Chelsea and on the return, until he landed again at Whitehall.​

lizkat

Reaction score
Today a whole other mood since reading more of the newspapers than in the previous few days. Yah so today it's selections from Blue Öyster Cult including This Ain't the Summer of Love.

U

User.45

Sadly, this is what I consider warm and fuzzy to my soul:
(the weird thing about this guy is that he does a great job hiding that there is actual composition involved. He spends 2 minutes to build up a main theme that he expands for half a minute then destroys the whole thing because fuck everybody).

lizkat

Reaction score
Sadly, this is what I consider warm and fuzzy to my soul:
(the weird thing about this guy is that he does a great job hiding that there is actual composition involved. He spends 2 minutes to build up a main theme that he expands for half a minute then destroys the whole thing because fuck everybody).

Yep, nailed what happened there all right. Not bad at the outset. But it's like a poet got caught up in a first line and somehow couldn't get out of the thing alive.

Top Bottom
1 2